LegacyGT.com

LGT Owners, what car will you drive next?

Imagine if they also offered a V8 in the Gladiator :eek:

That will be a pricy truck. A V8 Gladiator will probably be $50K with just basic options.

My GF has been looking at Wrangler Unlimited (4 doors), Jeep advertises a low MSRP, but the base model has crank windows and a soft top. Just getting the typical basics its $40k Jeep, they way most people want them one is looking at $45k-50k+. A loaded diesel Rubicon is $65k.

Boat/trailer- 6200lbs with surge brakes

Camper - 7800lbs with electric brake controller

The truck has plenty of power to drag either and I have the unfavorable 3.31 rearend. The 10spd does a good job of mitigating that high gearing. MPG sucks but neither of them really go all that far as my camper gets parked at my boat dock for the summer and the boat lives in the water so it usually only gets towed once or twice a year.

The 3.5L ecoboost is an awesome motor. IDGAF what it sounds like because it hauls ass.

"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

The more I look at trucks these days the more I want one more than anything else lol Too many people I know and work with are rolling up in them. A co-worker 'allegedly' put in his order for the RAM TRX... we'll see as he is a talker.

I don't feel like I could shop objectively between the Ford 150, Ram 1500s, and Chevy Silverado 1500s (considering GMC as well). I am biased against Fords and lean toward Ram due to past limited experience. I keep hearing Ford's new line is much improved but idk. What are the subaru fam's opinions on the matter? I know it will ultimately be my preference as they vary in features, aesthetics, towing, etc.

For the most part, the differences in towing or off road don't sway me. Visual wise, they are all pretty similar esp the Silverado and Sierra. I'll want a neutral paint job with sport trims and wheels/tires lifted anyway, which brings them all even closer visually. The important part is Crew Cab over extended since that extra room would be good for the dog with a car seat in the back. It's crazy how nice the standard large trucks are these days, comfort and tech wise. It'd be hard to get something older than 2017.

Price-wise, Ram seems to have lower than market right now but across the board I'm seeing low truck prices for average used mileage 1 owners. I would love to get something 30k or less but not looking promising. Of course I could go to the customs place around the corner and get the 80k monster hahaha then I'd be divorced.

What do you need a truck for?

How heavy are you towing with the F150?

I am mentally prepping myself to move on from my 2002 Dodge 2500 CTD and into something full crew cab and able to tow the 8k camper without issue. I have read a bunch and talked to various people with different trucks and as stated above, they all have issues and quirks.....it's what you can deal with that determines what best suites you. I was eyeballing the Titan XD with the Cummins but only to hear they discontinued that pairing. Do I need or have to have a diesel? Nope. Just used to them at this point. That said gas engines in the right platform perform quite well and run long enough at this point. I doubt this will be the last truck I buy so I need to just buck up and decide (to spend the coin that is[emoji2961]).

I need to seat 6, tow fairly heavy and haul stuff when camping and also not camping. A large SUV sounds great aside from their cost but a truck works better for me I feel.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

A coworker of mine went from an f250 powerstroke to a Nissan xd, specifically for towing his 30ft camper and he loves the Nissan especially the 8yr warranty. Cummins diesel and Aisin trans is nothing to sneeze at, both as good as anything on the market.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

To be fair, the new Frontiers aren't really that new anyway. They're still the same body style from 2004 and have a somewhat similiar interior.

True, with a facelift in there at one point. Makes finding parts easy (peasy lemon squeezy) as opposed to how it’s going to be soon, if not already, for the 5th gen LGT (difficult difficult lemon difficult; extra credit for naming the movie).

Frontier finally gets a new body next year but the new powertrain came out this year, slotted into the ancient coach (as a beta test, I guess). Not swayed by either.

What do you need a truck for?

What dont I need a truck for? :lol: seriously though, I bought a house in Feb and I've got my list of things. I've borrowed a truck about 6 times already and although I could get by with some friends and super nice neighbors, I'm not about that reliance. With the family growing, I'd like camping to be an activity we do every year driving out to the mountains in VA somewhere new to explore. An SUV could handle it, but I'd use the truck a lot more.

Hindsight 20/20, but if I knew everything was going to get shutdown and we'd both be WFH and not traveling to see fam with the baby, I would have never pushed the wife and myself to buy the Highlander soon after closing late Feb. We took a loss on the FXT trade in too. Live and Learn. I'd probably have my truck right now... :D You'd be surprised what I fit in the Highlander since then :cool: As the guy driving past me in the HD parking lot yelled as I was cutting 3 drywall sheets down into 3ft sections, "You need a truck!"... :orly:

My biggest item would be the tranny. I had bad luck with Ford in that regard back in 2005-2010ish when working with my Uncle and Cousin's businesses. We also rode them hard. The EcoBoost does have rave reviews, so if the 10sp (even if a little laggy) is more reliable then I would def consider it. I'll end up driving them all though before deciding.

No midsize for me anymore with the house. If I was still in a townhouse or city then for sure a Taco. The fullsize w/ crew cab would be great for the dog and kiddo in the back too.

Sounds like you need a utility trailer more than a truck, lol.

That’s the route I went. I’ve had my 4x8 utility trailer around 17 years now. For me, an enclosed cargo area (trunk or hatch) is more useful in a DD than an open bed. Bonus points for hooking the trailer to my lawn mower at home to drive mulch around the yard leaving my DD unencumbered for commuting. The bed is all of 16 inches off the ground so I can load and unload big items solo by tipping and sliding them in.

b732ecf110f3f8223f9f01fdc00ef182.jpg

Trailers are great. Have one myself that gets a lot of use. Some things are just easier in the trailer.

I always go back to the camping/towing the trailer thing. When we go there is stuff that I won't/can't put in the camper and an SUV capable is likely to be quite a bit more money wise. I guess that depends on the truck too.....they certainly aren't cheap or even close to budget friendly. I actually don't get how some people do it. Maybe they are just truck broke and love their ride that much. Still eyeballing the Nissan XD. I am a few months out still.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Test drove 2021 GMC Sierra 1500. It was a fully loaded Denali which is way more than I need. The main thing I was curious about what the 3.0 I6 diesel. It drove pretty nice. Certainly not fast, but I think I could live with it. Test drove a similarly equipped model with the 5.3 gasser and could not tell a difference in acceleration.

The mileage you get with the diesel is what is really calling me. Both of my Subarus rarely get more than 20/21 MPGs so I feel like having a truck that is going to do better than that would be awesome. Obviously an expensive vehicle though, probably mid 50s.

Not sure I really need a truck though... I have nothing to tow but may have a small camper someday. I do own a house and have been frustrated when I can't move something or make a trip to the hardware store without help. I know I could get by with much less. Where I live they are everywhere though, and seeing them constantly gets me thinking I need one! The AT4 just looks so good to me.

Edited by eckseleven

Test drove 2021 GMC Sierra 1500. It was a fully loaded Denali which is way more than I need. The main thing I was curious about what the 3.0 I6 diesel. It drove pretty nice. Certainly not fast, but I think I could live with it. Test drove a similarly equipped model with the 5.3 gasser and could not tell a difference in acceleration.

The mileage you get with the diesel is what is really calling me. Both of my Subarus rarely get more than 20/21 MPGs so I feel like having a truck that is going to do better than that would be awesome. Obviously an expensive vehicle though, probably mid 50s.

Not sure I really need a truck though... I have nothing to tow but may have a small camper someday. I do own a house and have been frustrated when I can't move something or make a trip to the hardware store without help. I know I could get by with much less. Where I live they are everywhere though, and seeing them constantly gets me thinking I need one! The AT4 just looks so good to me.

I'm not sure about the diesels to be honest. If you're not gonna be using the truck for work, then why bother with the DEF fluid and high maintainence costs? Plus when you buy the vehicle brand new, you'll lose a ton of money right off the bat.

Yeah, been thinking of the maintenance costs. The oil changes will be slightly more expensive, nothing crazy. A gallon of DEF is like something like $2 or $3 a gallon and I'm reading people top it off every oil change which is every 7500 miles. I'm not sure if I'd need to do much else over the course of ownership. I aim for 7-10 years of use at least; made it to 9 with my LGT and only put 64k miles on it. Diesel engine is something like $1000 more than the 5.3 V8 and completely destroys it in terms of full economy so that's why I'd go that route.

I'm well aware of depreciation on new vehicles and I don't mind buying new. I like knowing all the history of a vehicle and keeping it for a decent amount of time. The emissions equipment on modern diesels is one thing to worry about but at least GM provides a longer warranty on this engine.

Yeah, been thinking of the maintenance costs. The oil changes will be slightly more expensive, nothing crazy. A gallon of DEF is like something like $2 or $3 a gallon and I'm reading people top it off every oil change which is every 7500 miles. I'm not sure if I'd need to do much else over the course of ownership. I aim for 7-10 years of use at least; made it to 9 with my LGT and only put 64k miles on it. Diesel engine is something like $1000 more than the 5.3 V8 and completely destroys it in terms of full economy so that's why I'd go that route.

I'm well aware of depreciation on new vehicles and I don't mind buying new. I like knowing all the history of a vehicle and keeping it for a decent amount of time. The emissions equipment on modern diesels is one thing to worry about but at least GM provides a longer warranty on this engine.

I forgot to mention that the 10-speed automatics they've been using are starting to reveal their issues too. I can't remember if they use it in the diesels or not.

I forgot to mention that the 10-speed automatics they've been using are starting to reveal their issues too. I can't remember if they use it in the diesels or not.

They do use it there. I haven't heard of issues yet but will be on the look out. I had read about problems with the 8 speed used previously.

They do use it there. I haven't heard of issues yet but will be on the look out. I had read about problems with the 8 speed used previously.

The issues have been more prevalent in the Fords (because Ford and Chevy co-developed the 10-speed). From what I've seen the dealers have tried to claim that they need a software update, but it doesn't seem to do much lol.

Anyone have experience with the Explorer ST? That's something else I've recently been looking at but haven't test driven yet. Never been a Ford guy, grew up in a GM and Honda family. These new EcoBoost engines have impressive specs though. I figure I'd be able to tow whatever I need to tow with it, and have 400hp on tap for fun the rest of the time.

Anyone have experience with the Explorer ST? That's something else I've recently been looking at but haven't test driven yet. Never been a Ford guy, grew up in a GM and Honda family. These new EcoBoost engines have impressive specs though. I figure I'd be able to tow whatever I need to tow with it, and have 400hp on tap for fun the rest of the time.

I'm not too familiar with them, but they are very appealing. It appears that they have a 10-speed, although I'm not sure if it's the same one that they put in the trucks. I linked the specs below if you need them.

https://www.autoblog.com/buy/2021-Ford-Explorer-ST__4dr_4x4/specs/