LegacyGT.com

LGT Owners, what car will you drive next?

• I Donated
The x5 is rated at 6k lbs towing.

But is the X5 M?

I mean, maybe it is, but don't assume. The 05-09 Outback XT is rated for like 2700 lbs, and the LGT wagon is "towing not recommended" despite being essentially the same car. The Ram SRT10 is rated for like 1000 lbs or something else ridiculously low. Wouldn't be surprised if the X5 M was similar.

But is the X5 M?

I mean, maybe it is, but don't assume. The 05-09 Outback XT is rated for like 2700 lbs, and the LGT wagon is "towing not recommended" despite being essentially the same car. The Ram SRT10 is rated for like 1000 lbs or something else ridiculously low. Wouldn't be surprised if the X5 M was similar.

Yes it is, the 2019 is rated at 7200 lbs. I dont like toyotas tbh. I get they are reliable and all that, but if I get a boring truck its going to be the one mentioned a few posts back.

Megacab, 6mt, 4wd, diesel.136f6cbd8dfc97e716bbfd796bd02c45.jpg8e53b8bdb75c7483b3b8eea5df15ec06.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Yes it is, the 2019 is rated at 7200 lbs. I dont like toyotas tbh. I get they are reliable and all that, but if I get a boring truck its going to be the one mentioned a few posts back.

Megacab, 6mt, 4wd, diesel.136f6cbd8dfc97e716bbfd796bd02c45.jpg8e53b8bdb75c7483b3b8eea5df15ec06.jpg

The thing is, a pickup won't be strained out when towing (or moving serious weight). A car with a V6 is gonna be extremely stressed, and if you get a BMW that thing will be toast in a short time...

The X5 M is a V8...
Twin-turbo V8...even the standard x5 depending on the year is a TT V8 with the zf 8hp and awd.

Having an extra tow vehicle is just one motivation and realize we plan to make around a dozen trips a year maybe. So we wont be hauling a 5th wheel or anything crazy like that. Our ascent is hardly strained by our rig now. But my wife can't drive standard, so we cant just swap vehicles on a whim.

All the talk about bmw reliability, and I'm already staring down the line at a built block, trans swap, broken rearend, clunky suspension, tinny doors...I mean let's be real. [emoji1787][emoji24]

Edited by FLlegacy

• I Donated
All the talk about bmw reliability, and I'm already staring down the line at a built block, trans swap, broken rearend, clunky suspension, tinny doors...I mean let's be real. [emoji1787][emoji24]

Yeah, come to think of it, it may be more reliable than the average LGT on here.

Yeah, come to think of it, it may be more reliable than the average LGT on here.

Well if you're modding any vehicle away from OEM, it's not going to be as reliable... My car is a 2013 and the only "issue" if you want to call it that has been a jammed brake pad. After almost 7 years I have only had to do basic things like oil changes and light bulbs lol. A twin turbo V8 will be nice for like 50k miles, but when you are forcing not one but two turbos into a BMW engine, that sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. If it were a Naturally aspirated, then you'd be buying a bit more time :spin:

• I Donated
Well if you're modding any vehicle away from OEM, it's not going to be as reliable... My car is a 2013

Yeah, that explains it. Last LGT was 2012. :hide:

Lots of people with stock 4th gens with dead turbos (due to banjo bolt and/or OCV issues) tbat end up grenading the engine.

On a high performance car, staying stock is no guarantee, even with NA engines. Those E60 M5s with the V10 are notoriously finicky.

Well if you're modding any vehicle away from OEM, it's not going to be as reliable... My car is a 2013 and the only "issue" if you want to call it that has been a jammed brake pad. After almost 7 years I have only had to do basic things like oil changes and light bulbs lol. A twin turbo V8 will be nice for like 50k miles, but when you are forcing not one but two turbos into a BMW engine, that sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. If it were a Naturally aspirated, then you'd be buying a bit more time :spin:
BMW is no different than any manufacturer, the n63 engine in the x5 m has a specific set of problems clearly defined by its history, no different than the ej25 and it's well documented short-comings. The brand moto is "the ultimate driving machine" not the ultimate reliability machine, so I can accept that if I make that leap.

A friend of mine has a 14-15 M5 with the M package - I am not an SUV fan, but it has a very nice ride! He only has the 6 in it, though (I believe only the top of the line model sports the dual turbocharger "twin power V8" while the rest have the single turbo "twin power V6" which is a single, dual-scroll turbo with variable valve timing for the engine). My concern would be more from a parts cost than anything else - BMW has a reputation for being expensive - maybe not a big deal when it's under warranty, but once it's out it could be painful.

A friend of mine has a 14-15 M5 with the M package - I am not an SUV fan, but it has a very nice ride! He only has the 6 in it, though (I believe only the top of the line model sports the dual turbocharger "twin power V8" while the rest have the single turbo "twin power V6" which is a single, dual-scroll turbo with variable valve timing for the engine). My concern would be more from a parts cost than anything else - BMW has a reputation for being expensive - maybe not a big deal when it's under warranty, but once it's out it could be painful.
Newer models have either the I6, a detuned n63 with only 440 hp and the zf 8hp, or the M trim has the full 550 hp and a 6 spd auto.

You're right - it's an inline 6 (I was thinking v for some reason!) - looks like the X5M has the dual turbo V8 (making 523, 600, or 617 based on the trim), the xDrive50i has the dual turbo v8 making 438hp, then the xDrive40i and sDrive40i have the turbo I6 making 335hp.

I hope the used market is cheaper than new! Cheapest with the 8 is $76k! up to $114k for the top dog M competition version!

You're right - it's an inline 6 (I was thinking v for some reason!) - looks like the X5M has the dual turbo V8 (making 523, 600, or 617 based on the trim), the xDrive50i has the dual turbo v8 making 438hp, then the xDrive40i and sDrive40i have the turbo I6 making 335hp.

I hope the used market is cheaper than new! Cheapest with the 8 is $76k! up to $114k for the top dog M competition version!

Yes way cheaper, sadly with good reason, like I said I have been researching and the problems are pretty well defined. Not necessarily easy or cheap to fix. But that wouldn't make it any less fun of a ride.

Didn't read too far back. Are many considering or already moved on to a model 3?

The price point is ridiculous. When you add up monthly costs like maintenance and gas, the model 3 is cheaper than any internal combustion engine driven car more expensive than somewhere in the mid to high $20k. (Note, I drive around 20k miles/year). I realize if someone doesn't drive far, using electric instead of gas doesn't help much in the monthly budget realm.

Seems like Subaru should be concerned.

We're focusing on paying off the Ascent, then I'm buying a model 3.

-Bill

"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."

Didn't read too far back. Are many considering or already moved on to a model 3?

The price point is ridiculous. When you add up monthly costs like maintenance and gas, the model 3 is cheaper than any internal combustion engine driven car more expensive than somewhere in the mid to high $20k. (Note, I drive around 20k miles/year). I realize if someone doesn't drive far, using electric instead of gas doesn't help much in the monthly budget realm.

Seems like Subaru should be concerned.

We're focusing on paying off the Ascent, then I'm buying a model 3.

I have long thought about going electric as my next daily driver. I would like to see the repair network for Tesla get better though. I am a competent mechanic when it comes to most repairs, but Tesla parts are not the easiest to come by without paying retail. I wouldn't be buying new at any rate, but Tesla will always be on my list for a daily driver, I do less than 7k miles a year on average.

Definitely would love a Tesla Model X. I like the competition from Audi, Ford, and others.. but their batteries and style just don't rival that of Tesla yet. I think I'm going to keep the Legacy as a commuter- comfortable, decent MPG, and low cost atm. I've convinced myself to off load the '17 FXT though for a cheaper 3 row like a Highlander or CX-9. Probably sometime in April/May. Then I'll go buy myself a 2500-3k beater truck to scratch my mechanic's itch. A year or 2 from now hopefully the competition has gotten their electric ranges closer to 300+ miles per charge and I can be more comfortable making the choice to spend $$$ on one. So many options.. I want them all :)

the model 3 is definitely interesting, and based on my driving habits(generally never more than 220 miles a day, and thats a rare occasion) it would fit quite well. the whole parking on the street thing(and apartments/parking decks without chargers at every parking spot etc) is the real issue, and what keeps a lot of people from being able to adopt electrics. interesting concept, and i'm excited to see how it progresses, but the feasibility just isn't there, which is a darn shame.

• I Donated
Tesla X is a LOT of $$ to go from minivan to "fancy minivan". :-)
And, it's one of the least reliable cars of any propulsion method out there, according to CR.

I blame the falcon-wing doors.

My mom replaced her 2006 A4 with a 2016 Model S, and my dad is looking to replace his 2010 Outback with a Model Y Performance when it gets here.

BTW, those Model 3 Performance are no joke. Someone ran one in my region last year for autocross, and he was consistently in the top 5 raw times at each event. Would be a great LGT replacement for any original owners still hanging onto theirs.

Edited by thefultonhow

And, it's one of the least reliable cars of any propulsion method out there, according to CR.

I blame the falcon-wing doors.

My mom replaced her 2006 A4 with a 2016 Model S, and my dad is looking to replace his 2010 Outback with a Model Y Performance when it gets here.

A guy once had to order a lug nut for his wheel since it magically fell off of his Tesla, it took over a month for him to recieve it :lol: