LegacyGT.com

LGT Owners, what car will you drive next?

considering a fiesta st....drove one the other day it was too fun, had the recaro seats, it was definitely a fiesta inside but damn what a fun little go kart.

Someone talk me out of it.

It's a Ford. If you buy one, don't plan on selling it unless you want to lose your ass. An old co-worker of mine had a Focus ST which was a quick little car but couldn't grip the road in 1st or 2nd gear. He wasn't financially responsible and ended up owing 20k but the car was only worth 10k. My sister-in-law had an Escape on lease and her buy out was 6k over what it was worth at the end of the lease.

I'm not trying to be a negative Nancy but I can only base my opinion on experience. My future mother-in-law has a 2011 or 2012 Feista that she likes but mainly because it's small and she's only about 4'10. I dont like the jerky transmission but it's an auto so you wouldn't run into that issue.

...An old co-worker of mine had a Focus ST which was a quick little car but couldn't grip the road in 1st or 2nd gear.

probably because it comes with the same crap tires the 5G LGT came with (except narrower and with less side wall), has half the drive wheels, and a little over 2/3 the weight. should be easily fixed with a little more tire, there is a kid in my town with a worked up one and he hooks up alright.

I need to start channeling here.. my wife might kill me if I keep talking her ear off about the cars I would like next :D

The inevitable larger SUV: BMW X5/X7, Volvo XC 90, 4Runner, or Tahoe, (maybe Ascent)

The potentials depending on current car remaining daily: Supra, older 911, M2/M4, F-type

The potentials if swapping current 2.5i: LGT, M3, STI (if new gens get moar), Jag XF

Ideal scenario would be to swap for a lower mileage LGT sometime next year as it's cheaper/fun/familiar, get a nicer SUV, and then save up for whatever 2 dr sports coupe I want :D

https://www.lylepearson.com/inventory/used-2014-cadillac-cts-v-5dr-wgn-rwd-station-wagon-1g6dv8ep6e0125019

Here it is for anyone who wants look. They loaded pics today. Nailed the pricetag $49995

That Wagon doesn't have many options for a CTS-V. My initial thought was that is steep price tag for a car that probably sold for 60's 5 years ago. I haven't look at pricing in a few years, so I was surprised to see how well the CTS-V are still holding their value.

Tough crowd the on CTS-V. Two of my friends have them, 1 has a 2010 6MT, the other 2011 Auto both have the Recaro's. I have been on them a few times and spend a night driving the 6MT. They may not be a class leader for the performance luxury segment, but they are way ahead of the 4th and 5th Gen Legacy. I also disagree that the CTS-V is just engine and drivetrain, it more like the difference between a Impreza and STI, but Cadillac started with a luxury car instead of an economy car.

probably because it comes with the same crap tires the 5G LGT came.

The 5th Gen GT tire may not be the best performance tires, but they at least they were performance tires compare to the craptastic all-season OEM tires the 2.5i and 3.6R got. Cars costing $20k and $30k usually don't get better tires that cars cost double and triple that get.

The 5th Gen GT tire may not be the best performance tires, but they at least they were performance tires compare to the craptastic all-season OEM tires the 2.5i and 3.6R got. Cars costing $20k and $30k usually don't get better tires that cars cost double and triple that get.

come on those are a sorry excuse for a performance tire, in reality they are just a summer tire because of there tread pattern and has nothing to do with how sticky they are. they were made to last forever not to give any sort of performance, i only had to replaced mine because of an unrepairable flat after having them for 5 years. i have high performance all seasons now and they are so much stickier even with a huge tread pattern disadvantage.

That Wagon doesn't have many options for a CTS-V. My initial thought was that is steep price tag for a car that probably sold for 60's 5 years ago. I haven't look at pricing in a few years, so I was surprised to see how well the CTS-V are still holding their value.

Tough crowd the on CTS-V. Two of my friends have them, 1 has a 2010 6MT, the other 2011 Auto both have the Recaro's. I have been on them a few times and spend a night driving the 6MT. They may not be a class leader for the performance luxury segment, but they are way ahead of the 4th and 5th Gen Legacy. I also disagree that the CTS-V is just engine and drivetrain, it more like the difference between a Impreza and STI, but Cadillac started with a luxury car instead of an economy car.

It's a mix of luxury and performance, with a strong bias towards performance. The moment you fire up it you feel it the seat it's a performance car, not a luxury boat. It gives you this subdued but mechanical feel. Handling, road holding is superb, in fact mindblowingly good considering the heft of the car. It is a heavy car but feels lighter than it should be.

Where the luxury comes in is Magnetic Ride. I still have aftermarket 20" inch wheels on mine with 30-series tires in the rear, yet this thing is miles more comfortable on crappy Boston roads than the LGT has ever been with any type of suspension (had many) on 17" 50-series winter (soft) tires.

They are not perfect cars, but really good, regardless of the fact they are better value than Teutonics.

probably because it comes with the same crap tires the 5G LGT came with (except narrower and with less side wall), has half the drive wheels, and a little over 2/3 the weight. should be easily fixed with a little more tire, there is a kid in my town with a worked up one and he hooks up alright.

Sounds like the Edge rental we had - 2.0T, and with even the slightest moisture on the road, I could make it spin all the way through 1st and 2nd..

• I Donated
Where the luxury comes in is Magnetic Ride. I still have aftermarket 20" inch wheels on mine with 30-series tires in the rear, yet this thing is miles more comfortable on crappy Boston roads than the LGT has ever been with any type of suspension (had many) on 17" 50-series winter (soft) tires.

MagRide is awesome. My SS on MagRide did not feel like a 3900 lb car. The adjustable shocks on the Stinger can't hold a candle to it. Honestly, even in the sportiest (firmest) mode, the ride was still better than any other car I've owned, with almost zero handling tradeoff.

Meh. I actually looked at one after reading all the glorious reports and was expecting a lot. It's not really much fun to drive at all. Wrong wheel drive, awkward seating position and junky interior. And a turning radius of a cruise ship.

The i3 I bought is way way more fun to drive.

Idk, I drove one with an upgraded intercooler and tune, it made around 300 wtq and had a nice set of tires it handled really well everything else was oem. I’ve never driven an i3 they’re full electric right?

i3 is fully electric but also comes in a range extender version, which is basically gas powered generator. Mine is pure BEV.

It's a Ford. If you buy one, don't plan on selling it unless you want to lose your ass. An old co-worker of mine had a Focus ST which was a quick little car but couldn't grip the road in 1st or 2nd gear. He wasn't financially responsible and ended up owing 20k but the car was only worth 10k. My sister-in-law had an Escape on lease and her buy out was 6k over what it was worth at the end of the lease.

I'm not trying to be a negative Nancy but I can only base my opinion on experience. My future mother-in-law has a 2011 or 2012 Feista that she likes but mainly because it's small and she's only about 4'10. I dont like the jerky transmission but it's an auto so you wouldn't run into that issue.

Yes, it’s a ford lol. Never owned one but the fiesta st is a cult classic, internationally. The focus st doesn’t hold a candle to it really, I would never consider owning one. I see the limited production run of the fiesta st making them hold some value. That being said I would never buy it new but I’ve seen some for 10-15k with pretty low miles. The 1.6 ecoboost motor is a really solid motor, but like I said in my original post it is most definitely a fiesta interior.

i3 is fully electric but also comes in a range extender version, which is basically gas powered generator. Mine is pure BEV.

That’s a great car for getting around locally I’m sure, but I go northern to Southern California frequently which is around 400 miles each way. I love how utilitarian my wagon is and it’s fun to drive but the 22-25 mpg on the highway SUCKS it gets much worse when hitting a headwind too. Just looking for a car that won’t break the bank that’s reliable yet fun to drive with good fuel efficiency and the fiesta st seemed to check the boxes, it’s tiny but my friend gets around 35-40 mpg on his keeping it under 80 on I-5.

MagRide is awesome. My SS on MagRide did not feel like a 3900 lb car. The adjustable shocks on the Stinger can't hold a candle to it. Honestly, even in the sportiest (firmest) mode, the ride was still better than any other car I've owned, with almost zero handling tradeoff.

I'll second that, my dad has an SS and the thing is an absolute blast to drive, you'd never guess it was so big and heavy. still gotta get that thing to the strip to see how it runs.

That’s a great car for getting around locally I’m sure, but I go northern to Southern California frequently which is around 400 miles each way. I love how utilitarian my wagon is and it’s fun to drive but the 22-25 mpg on the highway SUCKS it gets much worse when hitting a headwind too. Just looking for a car that won’t break the bank that’s reliable yet fun to drive with good fuel efficiency and the fiesta st seemed to check the boxes, it’s tiny but my friend gets around 35-40 mpg on his keeping it under 80 on I-5.

Yeah. Mine has 160 mile range and once for fun I took it on ~280 mile trip (and back). Doable here in MA/CT/NY with DC chargers availability, but pain, and would not recommend it. Truly perfect for a local runabout - charging overnight is vastly more convenient than getting gas.

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I got some quotes on insurance for our soon to be new Subaru. We are turning in the leased 2016 Crosstrek and getting.....some Subaru. :)

It will be my wife's car, and she is not sure which one she wants yet, so we are going to test drive all of them, except for Imprezas.

What do you think of the crosstrek?

We are considering a crosstrek or outback as our next car. The outback would be easier to sleep in. Whichever we get will get a lift and meatier tires.

It was our 2nd Crosstrek. First was a 2014 Premium, and the current one is a 2016 Limited w/Eyesight. Only have had 2 problems with the 2016 (recalls). Compared to an Outback, it has less power, so with a lift and bigger tires it will suffer more. If it was me, I would do a 3.6R Outback for a lifted Subaru. Much more power to work with. For a stock height car, the Crosstrek is much more nimble around town.

Regardless, get Eyesight. I miss it in the GT ;).

Chevy SS, but badge un-engineered to look like it's Aussie counterpart, the Holden Commodore.

Come to think of it, I saw a red SS with Holden badges on the road near me a couple years ago- took me a second to figure out what I was looking at.

If it was me, I would do a 3.6R Outback

Regardless, get Eyesight. I miss it in the GT ;).

Better hurry if you want the 3.6 we love both of ours & totally agree about getting eyesight.