LegacyGT.com

LGT Owners, what car will you drive next?

I'm sure it has something to do with the gear ratios. I'm also fairly sure it has way more to do with the lighter weight and stiff suspension. The STI has higher cornering speeds than something like the Stinger around a racetrack, regardless of the speed of acceleration out of those corners. I don't see why that would be any different on a twisty road. And the gearbox doesn't affect how fast you can go around a corner, with the exception of the way the diff(s) allocate power coming out of the output shaft.

It effects how you come out of corners because of the different options you have with the close ratio. if you're going around a corner at 35 the STI is right in its sweet spot in 2nd where as anything with a wider ratio is going to be sort of in between 1st and 2nd. being in 1st would be silly because you'll be shifting 10MPH later, but you're at the bottom of second not getting the meat of the power band... and you're in a taller gear. with a close ratio box this advantage holds true at almost any speed taller gears are only being an advantage at specific speeds and corners like large sweepers where you don't quite need full power when you start to accelerate through.... all things similar the car with the close ratio box will be faster in the twisties and will always feel faster because you typically have lower gears available to you at any given speed and mechanical advantage is king

Why in the ever loving f*ck would Subaru put an auto in the STI in lieu of a manual?

Nobody who buys an STI wants an auto. That's what the WRX CVT is for.

Uh, yeah, I'm sure it's all about the shifting and has nothing to do with the extra power.

STI: 310 hp, 3441 lbs, 11.1 lb/hp

Stinger GT: 365 hp, 3829 lbs, 10.4 lb/hp

Q50 RS: 400 hp, 3848 lb, 9.6 lb/hp

Yeah, definitely because you have to shift an extra time in the STI. :lol:

BTW, no way can I go 60 mph in first gear in my Stinger. :iam:

Because unfortunately the manual is dying, Subaru has to keep up with MPG and emissions standards, and in terms of pure speed a dual clutch crushes everything.

The sti requires 3rd gear to get to 60, if it was a tad wider ratios (or higher redline) you would see mid 4s.

Oh absolutely, the red spot and kia stinger crush that because of the massive HP difference but they also only require 1 shift to hit 60. They also have auto transmissions which have greater losses than a manual. (by the time you hit 60 in that car, and decide to let off the gas, you're prolly closer to 80 than 60 lol)

What im saying is an STi would be significantly faster than a WRX in the 0-60 if it didn't require to shift 1-2-3 to hit 60

2020 Legacy was just revealed at the Chicago auto show. It had a TMIC with no hood scoop. Looks like air is funneled in under the hood. Unfortunately, the outside is kinda bland. Inside is nice though.

2020-subaru-legacy_100690820_l.jpg

2020-subaru-legacy_100690821_l.jpg

Edited by Falcor

0 to 60 6.1 sec for the 2.4dit hate to say I told ya so...but. It's what I expected given the CVT.d9ca1b150bd760a79386d498fe56e2e8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Hey I said mid 5s, and i wouldn't be surprised if its actually a hair under 6. Its still faster than the 5EAT 3.6R and the 0-60 is slow because of prolly a crap 0-10. I would wager the 30-90 (passing) is prolly much quicker than we realize.

Now we wait and see if the next get STi gets that motor because...TRANSMISSION SWAP!

Hey I said mid 5s, and i wouldn't be surprised if its actually a hair under 6. Its still faster than the 5EAT 3.6R and the 0-60 is slow because of prolly a crap 0-10. I would wager the 30-90 (passing) is prolly much quicker than we realize.

Now we wait and see if the next get STi gets that motor because...TRANSMISSION SWAP!

That's not gonna happen, lol. Heck the 5th gen only has 1 confirmed sti 6mt swap and it's already manual. I dont foresee anyone ruining their 7th gen legacy for a 6mt. Way too many electronics are going to be depending on that CVT being in there.

Transmission swap regardless because you know subaru ain't change the bellhousing. just gotta figure out how to mount the thing the the body.

Maybe the 0-60 will improve with a tune.

it most probably would because i have a feeling Subaru still isn't taking full advantage of the CVT so they can appease the masses that oddly don't like their car not shifting but refuse to shift them themselves.

That's not gonna happen, lol. Heck the 5th gen only has 1 confirmed sti 6mt swap and it's already manual. I dont foresee anyone ruining their 7th gen legacy for a 6mt. Way too many electronics are going to be depending on that CVT being in there.

Technically 2. Another guy on fb did it. A bunch of 4th gens did it because on the 5th Gen the mounts were on the transmission/motor itself which is very odd/abnormal.

Physically it would be much easier than our ours.

Agreed, electronics would create absolute chaos, maybe someone will finally look into a real CVT upgrade since this motor has a chance to be fun

• I Donated
Agreed, electronics would create absolute chaos,

Even on the 4th gen LGT, if you wanted to do an auto-to-manual swap, you basically needed a donor car. And that's with 15-year-old electronics. Good luck. :lol:

maybe someone will finally look into a real CVT upgrade since this motor has a chance to be fun

By the time I sold my WRX, nobody had managed to get the CVT to hold up to greater-than-stock power. Good luck. :lol: Wait, did I say that already? :lol:

Yeah I gotta be honest, this FA24dit Legacy is very interesting to me. There's a lot more to learn, but I'm not sure that there is another new car that interests me this much to replace my '10 LGT.

My wish list for it is:

-Be able to swap Outback or Ascent suspension for a relatively cheap and oem quality lift.

-tranny mods for durably increasing power/torque (I actually don't mind CVTs)

-power mods in common with Ascent/WRX/future STI

The ducting for the TMIC is F#@%ing stupid, but I guess a AWIC setup would be a relatively cheap easy solution.

Yeah I gotta be honest, this FA24dit Legacy is very interesting to me. There's a lot more to learn, but I'm not sure that there is another new car that interests me this much to replace my '10 LGT.

My wish list for it is:

-Be able to swap Outback or Ascent suspension for a relatively cheap and oem quality lift.

-tranny mods for durably increasing power/torque (I actually don't mind CVTs)

-power mods in common with Ascent/WRX/future STI

The ducting for the TMIC is F#@%ing stupid, but I guess a AWIC setup would be a relatively cheap easy solution.

The ducting off the front of the car is actually a really good idea, it takes air from the car's highest point of pressure and directs it across the intercooler. So unlike our tiny scoop which directs less air at lower pressures, you have a much larger surface area and greater pressure from which to draw ambient air to cool the charge.

The ducting off the front of the car is actually a really good idea, it takes air from the car's highest point of pressure and directs it across the intercooler. So unlike our tiny scoop which directs less air at lower pressures, you have a much larger surface area and greater pressure from which to draw ambient air to cool the charge.

I think we can agree that there are advantages/disadvantages to both setups. One disadvantage of the new 2020 setup is that the air flows through a hot-ass engine bay before being directed over the IC.

The ducting on the FXT has been shown to be less efficient than hood scoop on a WRX (which likely much larger than Legacy would have though) I think ultimately that CVT is going to the limiting factor. If it follows the trend of the FXT and WRX CVT, it is going to not be limited to not much more than a tune.

I think we can agree that there are advantages/disadvantages to both setups. One disadvantage of the new 2020 setup is that the air flows through a hot-ass engine bay before being directed over the IC.
No, it is flowing through a duct that could easily be insulated beyond what the factory does. But until a real comparison is done we can only speculate about the actual efficiency of the setup. The WRX has a massive scoop compared to the 5th gen and it is placed further forward on the hood.

I was thinking mostly about heat soak. If it's 115 in Phoenix and I've been sitting at a red light, that tmic is just baking. It would take a little bit to clear the heat from the heat sink, and then to start effectively rejecting the heat from the charge air. No bueno. I like the idea of a awic continuing to reject heat to outside of the engine bay even while at a stop, while keeping the responsiveness and minimal piping of the tmic setup.

I like that idea for my LGT too, sometimes I wonder if it would have been a better move for me to go awic instead of fmic.

No, it is flowing through a duct that could easily be insulated beyond what the factory does. But until a real comparison is done we can only speculate about the actual efficiency of the setup. The WRX has a massive scoop compared to the 5th gen and it is placed further forward on the hood.

No amount of insulation is going to keep a plastic duct over a hot-ass engine from remaining cool.

• 3 weeks later...
For us, the WRX might be at the top of a pretty short list, but I'm hoping that we don't have to go car shopping quite yet. Have to see what's causing sort of a stick-slip shudder/chatter during tight turns first, and hope that it's not going to be to expensive to fix.

A manual transmission is (still) an absolute requirement . . . and the absence of certain features no less than highly desirable.

Well, guys, that's how it played out. We took delivery of a 2019 WRX Limited yesterday morning.

We managed to hold off the car shopping thing almost another two years but ended up pretty much having to on shorter notice than we'd have preferred. Let's just say that the estimated repair cost (not from a crash, BTW) was going to exceed retail value and that there was still a decently powerful 4-door with a manual transmission available. Had there not been such a car, I'd have had it fixed. Even though we're a couple of years older than when I posted #349 (I'm 71, she's a couple of years younger), we're both still just as insistent on having a MT as ever.

Requisite picture, color is dark gray metallic. Best picture I could get given the time of day/sun position. That's not my house in the background, it's just what was behind where the car could be sitting in the sun.

full

Norm

Edited by Norm Peterson

No amount of insulation is going to keep a plastic duct over a hot-ass engine from remaining cool.

For a short stop while in traffic, yes it will. When moving it doesn't need to, as the constant flow of air will do the same. Just like a FMIC at stop is going to heat up until air starts to flow through it. Noone is boosting at idle anyway.

Well, guys, that's how it played out. We took delivery of a 2019 WRX Limited yesterday morning.

We managed to hold off the car shopping thing almost another two years but ended up pretty much having to on shorter notice than we'd have preferred. Let's just say that the estimated repair cost (not from a crash, BTW) was going to exceed retail value and that there was still a decently powerful 4-door with a manual transmission available. Had there not been such a car, I'd have had it fixed. Even though we're a couple of years older than when I posted #349 (I'm 71, she's a couple of years younger), we're both still just as insistent on having a MT as ever.

Requisite picture, color is dark gray metallic. Best picture I could get given the time of day/sun position. That's not my house in the background, it's just what was behind where the car could be sitting in the sun.

full

Norm

I love the fact that you are kicking the boy racer stigma these cars have to the curb. I was seriously considering one in 2017 until my GT popped up on Craigslist.