LegacyGT.com

LGT Owners, what car will you drive next?

The new V60 and S60 from Volvo are absolutely gorgeous. I have no reason to get one as I don't have kids and just got an 18' Golf R, but damn do they look good. And the twincharged motors are cool.

Twincharged may be cool, but seems like they're pretty well tapped out and complicated to me. Unlikely to be much room for tuning. And comes with the same ~250 hp the LGT had in 2005. I've been at +40-50 hp forever now. Don't want to go that far backwards..

• I Donated
Twincharged may be cool, but seems like they're pretty well tapped out and complicated to me. Unlikely to be much room for tuning. And comes with the same ~250 hp the LGT had in 2005. I've been at +40-50 hp forever now. Don't want to go that far backwards..

Plus, I don't see them being reliable, and the depreciation is going to be killer.

My aunt bought an S80 in 2004. $40k car back then (would be far more today, of course). Traded it in for a new Accord in 2010 and got $6k for it. No thanks.

Oh absolutely overcomplicated. I would hate to work on one and I am scared to see bills once its out of warranty.

That said, the interior is stunning, the exterior is great and with the T8 model its a 400/470 AWD car with electric motors. Its pretty freaking cool, I just question reliability.

Oh absolutely overcomplicated. I would hate to work on one and I am scared to see bills once its out of warranty.

That said, the interior is stunning, the exterior is great and with the T8 model its a 400/470 AWD car with electric motors. Its pretty freaking cool, I just question reliability.

Now if they just made a V40/V60 with the T8... I don't need a landyacht.. And if I did, I'm pretty sure a 6.4 Charger would be way more reliable and/or cheaper to fix :lol:

Now if they just made a V40/V60 with the T8... I don't need a landyacht.. And if I did, I'm pretty sure a 6.4 Charger would be way more reliable and/or cheaper to fix :lol:

I really want a wagon. I drove a Jag XF sportbrake and was highly disappointed. It had a great engine and space but the car was incredibly uncomfortable for a 70k vehicle.

That said, the rumor is the next gen outback is going to get the 2.4L from the ascent, which should be a fairly tunable motor. I would put it on legacy springs/struts/arms and then swap the front end. Boom, fun legacy wagon again.

I really want a wagon. I drove a Jag XF sportbrake and was highly disappointed. It had a great engine and space but the car was incredibly uncomfortable for a 70k vehicle.

That said, the rumor is the next gen outback is going to get the 2.4L from the ascent, which should be a fairly tunable motor. I would put it on legacy springs/struts/arms and then swap the front end. Boom, fun legacy wagon again.

Who knows, they may surprise everyone and bring the Legacy Wagon back. Especially with the increased popularity of wagons these days.

• I Donated
I would put it on legacy springs/struts/arms and then swap the front end. Boom, fun legacy wagon again.

"Fun" and "CVT" don't really go together, and you know that's going to be the only transmission option, because Subaru is boring now.

Who knows, they may surprise everyone and bring the Legacy Wagon back. Especially with the increased popularity of wagons these days.

Increased popularity? :lol: What increased popularity? Even the Germans have discontinued their most of their wagons, and they were the last bastions of wagonness. Audi now sells the Allroad (like the Outback, an SUVified A4 wagon) and a few "four-door coupes" that look sleek and happen to have hatches. BMW sells the GTs (which look ugly and sell poorly) and a few "four-door coupes" that look sleek and happen to have hatches (see a pattern?). Mercedes still sells the E-class wagon, but not many of them. The Buick Regal TourX is likely the next GM model on the chopping block. All the Japanese wagons are long-dead. The Dodge Magnum was discontinued over 10 years ago. Ford isn't even going to be selling cars any more, let alone wagons. The Koreans have only sold a couple of wagon models in their entire history. What does that leave? The Golf Sportwagon?

The Impreza is a hatch, not a wagon (i.e. it has a liftgate, but not cargo room), and although a few other companies are doing small hatches and they're selling okay, nobody's doing anything else with cargo room that isn't an SUV.

Plus, once again, Subaru is boring now.

Subaru is only boring to those who have preconceived notions of what performance and fun should be. The power has been bumped on the sti for the first time ever, and now comes the S209...Forester STI...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• I Donated
Subaru is only boring to those who have preconceived notions of what performance and fun should be. The power has been bumped on the sti for the first time ever, and now comes the S209...Forester STI...

I had a WRX for two years, remember? I'm not keen to get back into a car that has zero refinement and is more expensive than my Stinger just to have it be slower than my Stinger.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

S209 is estimated to be over $50k. Base STI is still under $40k, $10k+ for 35hp is not worth it IMO. Compared to other cars in that price rage. You just have to give up the M/T.

Edited by HAMMER DOWN

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

S209 is estimated to be over $50k. Base STI is still under $40k, $10k for 35hp is not worth it IMO. Compared to other cars in that price rage. You just have to give up the M/T.

If all you are looking at is pure performance, but if you are looking at future value, STI hold theirs very well already a special edition of the STI should hold even better. Can you say that about a Stinger?

• I Donated
How is the Stinger? AWD or RWD?

GT2 RWD.

My SS was better to drive and had more passenger and cargo space, and I miss the manual, but the Stinger is slightly faster and much better in ergonomics, comfort, tech, and styling.

All things considered I'd prefer to still be in a manual SS, but I like the Stinger a hell of a lot more than my WRX, and it has its pluses.

If all you are looking at is pure performance, but if you are looking at future value, STI hold theirs very well already a special edition of the STI should hold even better. Can you say that about a Stinger?

My top-trim Stinger was $44k OTD. Even with Kia depreciation, I will likely still be ahead financially in 10 years versus DDing an S209. Even an STI would probably be more costly from a TCO standpoint. And I'm not 22 years old any more. I want at least a little comfort to go with my performance.

• I Donated
I'd like to see the math on that one.

Welllll, just for you, I'll do that.

A 2009 STI base with 100,000 miles on the clock is now worth around $15k private-party. MSRP was $35k. So it has lost around 60% of its value, around $20k.

Let's say, since the S209 is going to be a limited edition, that it is going to only lose 50% of its value after 10 years and 100k. That means, at dgoodhue's estimate of $60-65k MSRP, it will lose around $33,000 in value.

The 2009 Genesis Sedan was $37,250 new if you paid MSRP. With 100,000 miles on it, it's now worth $9000. That means it's lost a hefty 75% of its value.

I got my 2018 Stinger GT2 RWD for around $42k if you don't include tax. That means if it depreciates the same 75% that the original Genesis Sedan did in 10 years, it will lose $31,500 in value. Of course, if you take the 75% of the $49,000 MSRP, it will be worth $12,000, which means it only loses $30k (the same as the S209 loses if it's only priced at $60k instead of $65k).

But then, of course, you'll be paying more in insurance on the S209, you'll probably have something that goes wrong on the engine between when the powertrain warranty runs out and the 10 year/100k mark, given that it's an EJ257 and we all know how reliable those are </s> (even if that happens on the Stinger, the powertrain warranty is, guess what, 10 years and 100k miles), and you'll also have to put up with driving a car with bone-jarring suspension and a noisy, plasticky interior for 10 years, plus the Stinger will still beat it in a drag race.

And of course, this is the most charitable math possible for the S209. It's likely that one, there will be "market adjustments" on the S209 MSRP due to how limited-edition it is and how much the vaping crooked-hatters worship the nameplate, and two, I'm being a little too charitable on the depreciation on a daily-driven STI with six digits on the odometer.

Look man, I know you love Subarus. I understand. I've personally owned four. My family (grandparents and parents) have owned another four. I liked my 05 LGT and loved my Spec.B. But you're going to have to come to terms with the fact that there are two types of models Subaru sells right now: Toyotas with AWD, and fast-ish cars for 22-year-olds who don't give a shit about refinement. If you want one of those things, okay, go buy one, but most people on this forum don't, and shouldn't.

Edited by thefultonhow

But you're going to have to come to terms with the fact that there are two types of models Subaru sells right now: Toyotas with AWD, and fast-ish cars for 22-year-olds who don't give a shit about refinement. If you want one of those things, okay, go buy one, but most people on this forum don't, and shouldn't.

I agree with this. I would have bought another new LGT if I had the choice, To me, the car was more engaging to drive than the the Stinger is.

I don't share your thoughts on depreciation though. I can't think that the value will be there 5 - 8 years down the road. Not when they were knocking $10k off of the retail price a couple of months ago.

• I Donated
I agree with this. I would have bought another new LGT if I had the choice, To me, the car was more engaging to drive than the the Stinger is.

I don't share your thoughts on depreciation though. I can't think that the value will be there 5 - 8 years down the road. Not when they were knocking $10k off of the retail price a couple of months ago.

So, what, you think the Stinger will lose more than 75% of its value in 10 years?

I don't. 75% is already huge depreciation. But I suppose it's possible.