LegacyGT.com

LGT Owners, what car will you drive next?

• I Donated
And there you go again proving me right! At least one person does. :p

Cool. I never said nobody aspires to drive a Korean car. But your definition of aspirations was too broad. It would cover anyone who ever decided to buy anything. I didn't aspire to go to the grocery store and buy some milk today, just as most people don't aspire to buy a specific car. I knew I would need some milk, so I realized I had to go and get it. That's exactly how most people buy cars.

Cool. I never said nobody aspires to drive a Korean car. But your definition of aspirations was too broad. It would cover anyone who ever decided to buy anything. I didn't aspire to go to the grocery store and buy some milk today, just as most people don't aspire to buy a specific car. I knew I would need some milk, so I realized I had to go and get it. That's exactly how most people buy cars.
So you got in the middle of a discussion without knowing what it was that was even being discussed...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

• I Donated
So you got in the middle of a discussion without knowing what it was that was even being discussed...

Nah, I knew what was being discussed. My point was, and is, that your understanding of aspirations was wrong. Whether or not some people aspire to own Korean cars, you said this:

And the flaw in your reasoning is you did in fact aspire to own a 2.5i, because at some point you directed your ambition into finding one, test driving it, and then paying for it. You worked toward that goal whether it was for need or desire, that is the definition of aspiring to do something.

Sorry, this statement is wrong. The way in which this discussion started doesn't change that.

That's because you'd have to be nuts to buy one, and most people aren't nuts.

The CLA is a complete turd of a car. Adding AMG lipstick doesn't change that.

Admittedly, I haven’t read many reviews of them. What is wrong with them?

Admittedly, I haven’t read many reviews of them. What is wrong with them?

After reading a couple reviews it seems there isn't enough AMG in them, or enough room to warrant a back seat even though its there. It's AWD not RWD like most other AMG sedans, it doesn't have the AMG V8 even though the long slung hood makes it seem as though it should.

So... I don't log in and post very often but I do follow the boards everyday...especially this thread. Wanted to chime in here because I almost pulled the trigger on one of these...and may still.

That's because you'd have to be nuts to buy one, and most people aren't nuts.

The CLA is a complete turd of a car. Adding AMG lipstick doesn't change that.

Can you elaborate on this? Either through experience or otherwise....

After reading a couple reviews it seems there isn't enough AMG in them, or enough room to warrant a back seat even though its there. It's AWD not RWD like most other AMG sedans, it doesn't have the AMG V8 even though the long slung hood makes it seem as though it should.

.....because, like this, it just sounds like some personal preferences. Do either of you, or anyone, have any personal experience that speaks to the reliability or to any "issues" associated with these that goes beyond "That's not a real AMG"?

Not trying to start an epic argument here...even though that seems to be the direction that this thread is going lately. I am genuinely interested in these and would love to hear what other LGT owners...WITH ACTUAL EXPERIENCE...have to say about these.

So... I don't log in and post very often but I do follow the boards everyday...especially this thread. Wanted to chime in here because I almost pulled the trigger on one of these...and may still.

Can you elaborate on this? Either through experience or otherwise....

.....because, like this, it just sounds like some personal preferences. Do either of you, or anyone, have any personal experience that speaks to the reliability or to any "issues" associated with these that goes beyond "That's not a real AMG"?

Not trying to start an epic argument here...even though that seems to be the direction that this thread is going lately. I am genuinely interested in these and would love to hear what other LGT owners...WITH ACTUAL EXPERIENCE...have to say about these.

Reviews are generally based on 50/50 experience and opinion, so theres that...All I've heard about those CLA AMGs are the same as what was said here. I don't think MT or R&T has done any long term tests on these cars, so there isn't much to base it on besides forum reviews. And we all know MB fanbois are the same as STi fanbois, so...

I've sat in a CLA, and it's pretty subpar on interior quality. Not up to MB specs, that's for sure. They were trying to steal customers from BMW on the lower end 3 series, and sitting in both the star goes to the bimmer for sure.

A review from someone who was very interested in the car

"This is my personal review of this car from the vantage point of someone that was actually going to buy it and was excited enough to pester his local dealer since the car was announced to have one specially brought in to test drive. I feel that I was Mercedes target buyer for the car. Previous Mercedes customer (and continued owner), non-AMG owner, early 30's, enthusiast, can afford it, etc. I feel there is a difference when you are reviewer plainly reviewing a car or you are an enthusiast actually going to buy a car. I posted on oppo and just feel the need that it should be posted again after your full review. There is no way, price taken into account, that this car should register anywhere near a 70.

I was waiting for this car to come out for months and managed to get a special test drive at my local Mercedes dealer. I figured this would be the perfect car for me and my wife to replace our trusty C class as a winter car. The car was supposed to be small, fast, agile, look good (I know subjective), and 4matic (I live where it snows). It was supposed to blend core Mercedes brand values with a wild with an AMG tuned chassis and engine. Key words are "supposed to."

When I got to the dealer, I saw the car eagerly sitting in the corner all prepped for me. Well, the looks were kind of what I expected, except for the interior. Oh that interior! That interior is where the first signs that this car might be "craptastic" showed. The plastics were hard, the B pillar had an almost 1in gap where the body color showed through, and the standard seats were junk (the optional Recaros rectify this). In addition, I was greeted by a large wart of a nav display that would have looked cheap and out of place on a Dodge Dart. No offense to Dart owners but the sticker on the car I drove was about $60k and I expected a more elegant solution than just sticking a screen awkwardly on top of and sticking out of the dash. It is all about perceived values and perceptions. Hard plastics and a wart of a display screen shouldn't be present. Also, you would have to be a hobbit to fit in the back seat, but I kind of expected that with the roofline, so no foul there.

Fine, this is a sporty car and a sporty car can be low frills, and I agree. However, again, the car was optioned to the better part of $60k. I just couldn't see it, however I am not the type that would shun a car based on its interior (My wife is). So on to the driving experience. I wish I could tell you you are in for a treat to drive this car for a week, but I would be lying.

On start up it sounded like any crappy high strung 4cyl. For those of you hoping it would blend Mercedes quality (see above) and a Subaru WRX STI's engine note, you will be very disappointed (optional sport exhaust should fix this too). None of this holds a candle to how the car drives. Driving the car was the shocking let down. The power was decent but really didn't feel as powerful as it is. The DCT box was horrible in traffic and not much better once the road opened. It was even a bit slow-witted for my taste, but of course that is subjective. The real kicker was the 4matic. It was not the rear biased 4matic that I know and loved in my C-class (and spoiler alert, now E-class). It is pretty similar to the "4wd" that is in a Nissan Rogue or any cheap economy car. Basically it's 100% front wheel drive until there is slippage. Not bad on a $20k grocery getter. Appalling on anything that is an AMG product. I actually felt the power jumping from front to back when I accelerated on a loose surface. It drives like a cheap front wheel drive car until the front tires get overwhelmed, then it drives like a cheap "4wd" car.

I didn't even touch on the "ride" or lack there of yet. My summer car is a heavily massaged Porsche Boxster that has been lowered and fettled with to provide more grins per mile than any car I have even driven. To say it is stiff is an understatement, but low and behold, the CLA AMG was stiffer without the subtle supple control that the Porsche has. I was almost convinced that AMG just cut the springs to lower it and put on the stiffest shocks they could find just to make it feel "sporty." To make a car handle, you don't have to reduce the ride characteristics to crap. AMG obviously trusted designing the suspension package to an intern, on their lunch break.

When I got back to the dealer, I was gutted and displeased to say the least. If you want a sporty sedan and can wait — wait for the 4matic C AMG that will inevitably come out next year. This should be the car that prospective CLA AMG buyers were waiting for. Avoid this little Mercedes mongrel at all costs. The cheap, front drive architecture shows through and is appalling in a car of this price.

As for me I let I was pretty annoyed when we got back to the dealer and let the wife pick the car. I ended up getting an E350 4matic Sport (just a "nice" car). The "Sport" is a complete misnomer but it never puts on a pretense that it is a sporty car. However, it is fast, comfortable, a great winter car, comfortable, has a column shifter, and is comfortable. On second thought, it drives like a car with a column shifter but that's a story for another time..."

source: https://jalopnik.com/2014-mercedes-benz-cla45-amg-the-jalopnik-review-1524316289

TLDR: slighty used CPO C63AMG or RS3 over this POS

Edited by stocklgt

• I Donated
Not wrong, using the given definition above.

Your definition isn't wrong according to your definition? K den

The original disagreement was in the statement by the VW CEO who said " Noone aspires to own a Korean car" or something to that effect.

Which of course has nothing to do with whether you know what "aspires" means or not.

Saw a red Kia Stinger in the wild today, I would definitely choose a more subtle color to mask the not so subtle features. But it looked nice and seemed to accelerate strong and smooth as well.

I struggled with color choice because I was so used to the sleeper aspect of driving my 2011 LGT for 7 years. I was torn between the more subdued ceramic grey (with 2-tone red interior) and the more common but striking red (with black interior).

Ultimately, I chose the red car because it just looks so damn good on the Kia Stinger GT and the dealer made me an offer I couldn't refuse with $3K off MSRP which was a few dollars less than invoice pricing. I don't regret the decision, but I am still trying to get used to all the attention that the red Kia Stinger gets on the street.

Yeah, its a fairly decent looking GM re-badge of the Opel Insignia Kombi (aka Sport Tourer),

best had in OPC trim (should be out next year or so) with the proper engine (hopefully they actually bring it across the pond this time around - unlike the 1st gen Buick Regal GS Turbo, which was a watered down and extra-heavy cut of the Insignia OPC). Too bad the new one doesn't get the great EDM spec headlights, being 'luxury' and all.

opel-insignia-sports-tourer-l-01.jpg

http://www.autobild.de/artikel/opel-insignia-sports-tourer-2017-11279999.html

Edited by Perscitus

My second car out of HS was an Opel Rallye. Loved the car, and was planning to get a GT, when I decided to tour the world instead, compliments of my Great Uncle Sam.

If we could get the actual full-boat Opel Insignia Kombi I'd likely consider it, transverse mounted engine, torque steer and cobbled-on AWD nothwithstanding. As a Buick, not on the list.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -