LegacyGT.com

LGT Owners, what car will you drive next?

I wonder how long the front overhang would be in a symmetrical AWD Subaru with an H8 hanging out front.

Well, if flat-8 is what you want, go roll the couch for several million $$ in pocket change and get yourself a Porsche 907 or 908 and hang it out the stern.

Not sure if there's ever been a flat-8/10/12 that didn't come from Zuffenhausen or Maranello.

Besides that the V is soooo damn expensive to have around and the Subie is paid off, the Subie is also just more fun. Yes in a straight line, on big roads with lots of room etc etc the V is way more "car." nicer quieter cabin leather luxury etc etc But for the kind of fling it around driving I do, on small local roads, I actually prefer the Subie in so many ways. The V is a fire breathing dragon I rarely can use its power. Now I'm selling the V. Crazy / stupid I know. Anyone else had a similar experience and just .. came home to mama (Subaru)?

I was thinking if only I could afford a V wagon, how great it'd be. Now, your statements have me scratching my head and i'm glad you shared your thoughts. What is expensive? the monthly note? fuel? insurance? all of the above?

The OP didn't answer your questions, but I will give my 2cents. I have 2 friends with 2nd Gen CTS-V. One is an auto and one 6MT. I have driven the 6MT. I was surprise that at least in stock form how well they hook in 1st gear, base on my experience with other (i.e. older high) power/RWD vehicle. Both of my friends paid $40-50K for their used CTS-V. My friend average in the teens for fuel economy, plus he goes through rear tires relatively quickly.

The issue with CTS-V and todays fast factory muscle cars is that you can really only go WOT on the street for short bursts. To drive a car like those hard is suicide.

Subaru Flat 12, it was a Formula 1 motor and almost made its way into the first Koenigsegg supercar.

d24298878079488328c22f45518d1530.jpg

Motori Moderni designed this for Subaru. They called it a boxer, but I'm not sure, never seen firing order info on it. Could it be a 180* V-12, like the flat-12 found in the Ferrari Testarossa and 512 BB? BB stood for Berlinetta Boxer, but it was not a true boxer.

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

The issue with CTS-V and todays fast factory muscle cars is that you can really only go WOT on the street for short bursts. To drive a car like those hard is suicide.

That's why - aside from any traffic law considerations - you don't drive them to their maximum capabilities on the street.

But after a familiarization lap or three at a track day I wouldn't be the least bit hesitant to squeeze the throttle to the floor wherever full power could be put to the pavement. Anything under 500 HP I wouldn't even wait that long. Didn't when I took a Z51 7th gen Corvette out for a demo lap, with less than a dozen total lifetime miles worth of drive time in Corvettes.

Norm

The OP didn't answer your questions, but I will give my 2cents. I have 2 friends with 2nd Gen CTS-V. One is an auto and one 6MT. I have driven the 6MT. I was surprise that at least in stock form how well they hook in 1st gear, base on my experience with other (i.e. older high) power/RWD vehicle. Both of my friends paid $40-50K for their used CTS-V. My friend average in the teens for fuel economy, plus he goes through rear tires relatively quickly.

The issues with the V are -

> avg 9mpg. Occassionally 10. T - E - N. (granted in my LGT I avg only 13 :)

> monthly payment is a lot vs Subie is PAID OFF. Z - E - R - O.

> insurance is $2K / yr vs Subie, reasonable

> goes through rear tires like kleenex vs Subie, reasonable wear life depending how you drive

> WAY more power than can possibly use near where I live, whereas the Subie can use 8/10 or 9/10 of its ability much more of the time. way more accessible

> the V's rear visibility and high door sills make seeing out of it a pain in the ass. Subie has miles of glass all around and lower door sills, easy, don't need a camera

> payment gas insurance = $$$$$$$

I could start listing other things about the LGT I love more than the V, but question was about the drawbacks of the V...

btw I think 'suicide' is pushing it a bit far, but yes you are courting danger way more quickly in a huge power, RWD car than a lighter weight AWD car

This is what keeps me in my awd turbo car, it's not the fastest, most nimble, most comfortable, most spacious, best handling, or most luxurious car. However, it is just enough of each to make it unique and nearly impossible to replace.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

so much THIS. She is good at everything, and just occasionally pretty spectacular at something...

It seems that the market for sporty(ish) sedans with AWD is heating up. First we had the Ford Fusion Sport w/twin turbo transverse V6 & AWD. Now, the Kia Stinger with longitudinal twin turbo V6 and AWD has surfaced (http://www.motortrend.com/news/kia-stinger-gt-first-look/). It's really too bad that Subaru doesn't have the desire to make a Legacy GT replacement, because it looks like more automakers are getting into the market.

Hyundai will have a midsize sport sedan too, soon, called G70.

Mazda will probably do something with the next gen 6 or take this gen out with a bang.

Its all in the eyes of the beholder. Why is a Ford Fusion Sport a "sports sedan" but a Legacy 3.6R is not?

The Audi A4 Sport, is 252 HP, AWD, Manual trans. It has the S4 suspension, with the A4 motor and manual tranny at A4 prices.

Mazda will probably do something with the next gen 6 or take this gen out with a bang.

Its all in the eyes of the beholder. Why is a Ford Fusion Sport a "sports sedan" but a Legacy 3.6R is not?

The Audi A4 Sport, is 252 HP, AWD, Manual trans. It has the S4 suspension, with the A4 motor and manual tranny at A4 prices.

Because twin turbo v6>h6 lol, not really but sort of.

A brand new 3.6R loaded is $34k, an infiniti Q50 3.7 with 5,000 miles is $32k. I dunno about you but if I wanted a fun car the choice is easy

Because twin turbo v6>h6 lol, not really but sort of.

When subaru detuned the H6, gave it a sloppy suspension and slow trans programming is when they killed the chance of it being a sports sedan.

Now $3500 later I turned it into a sports sedan that rivals those above but it's pretty apparent subaru has no care to make it that out of the box.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Edited by Golferdude1087

Fairly sure the 3.6 is tuned the way it always has been, the 5eat is also tuned for comfort over anything else. Even with a tune I don't think it will have a prayer against a fusion sport at least not in a straight line.

Fairly sure the 3.6 is tuned the way it always has been, the 5eat is also tuned for comfort over anything else. Even with a tune I don't think it will have a prayer against a fusion sport at least not in a straight line.

Correct, but remember the 3.0 was tuned for 91 only. The 3.6 was 87.

The way to really power the 3.6 has been the headers. Those 1.5" stock headers restrict everything.

A tuned 3.6 will not touch a fusion unless it's gotten the bigger midpipe. My raptord 3.6R has similar power to the twin turbo fusion. What stinks about that is the car had a ton of potential I'm just sad about the delivery

That 5EAT was also once in a G35 (subarus website calls our part RE5R05A..which is a Nissan part), that's prolly tuned for sport

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Speaking of car brands looking like others, the 2018 Mustang is looking a liiiiiiiiiiiittle British. :lol:

http://www.motorward.com/wp-content/images/2017/01/2018-Ford-Mustang-first-0-600x298.jpg

I think that started with the Ford Fusion. IIRC a designer from Aston Martin got hired on at Ford