LegacyGT.com

LGT Owners, what car will you drive next?

Just be realistic, if you are looking for cheap car go buy a honda or toyota. I hear the new prius is nice, lol. People often mistake subaru reliability for some kind of old world never die machinery. It's not like that, these cars are precision engineered and will mostly stay that way with proper maintenance (read $$$) but parts break and wear out especially when pushed beyond their intended power output/input/throughput. I like subaru for their safety above all else, I know they are expensive to maintain and sometimes a down right PITA but its worth it to me to have a car I can trust my family to be in.

IMO I don't an abnormal amount of 5th Legacy GT owners are moving on. The average length ownership for a new car buying is about 6.5 years, which were the 2010 Legacy GT.

Their have been a few 5th Gen Legacy GT motor failures reported on this forum, I suspect that once hese cars start reaching the 150k miles that it will be more common like in the 4th Gen GT section and on NASIOC forums. At least Subaru's replacement shortblock is relative inexpensive compared to other manufacturers.

I came from Jeeps. Compared to them the Subaru's are tanks :).

I have had my Outback for almost 3 years, and the only major issue was the starter, which the extended warranty covered.

Staying on topic, along with considering a LGT my list is:

11-12 LGT

13-14 Legacy 3.6R

12-14 GTI

18 GTI (lease)

18 WRX (lease)

Hard to beat the WRX for resale. I bought mine new in 2001 for ~$23,500. Drove it for 11 years and 144k grin filled miles. Sold it on NASIOC for $5,800, about 25% of original price. Not VW R32 resale value, but can't complain about it!

I'm too tall to have two kid seats in anything smaller than the LGT, so I'll be keeping mine a while longer. :)

Any bad noises associated with that stick-slip? My knee-jerk guess would be the center diff, but I suppose it could be a CV joint or something.

Edit: timing is everything...

If the car is bucking a bit during tight turns it it almost guaranteed to be the center diff. It can be replaced without pulling the transmission, but still not a cheap repair.

Thanks . . . I think.

Center diff is what I've been thinking as well, having briefly scanned a few of the troubleshooting pages in the shop manual. But before I bring it in I want to drive it up on ramps for a closer look and look some more to see if there's any reasonable chance I could pull off this repair as a DIY effort.

On the other hand, I do need to get that windshield wiper thing done . . .

Norm

So, with most everyone in this thread thinking about jumping ship on the LGT for their next car, is it worth considering the LGT for my next car?

We've been more than pleased with our Legacy to date, and would put it on the short list again but for the deal-breaker fact that Subaru no longer fits any Legacy trim with a manual transmission. We've jumped to competing mfrs over this before. More than once.

Norm

From what I understand, a center diff rebuild in a manual transmission Subaru is pretty straight forward.

That would be nice.

In the meantime, the '01 Maxima - aka, the "spare car" - is getting a lot more use than it normally might (and it's still fun to drive).

Norm

I almost bought a '16 Chevy SS (the sedan) w/ around 1k miles this week, but they wouldn't budge on price. After some more discussion, I'm looking more seriously again at like a '15 STI. The extra rear legroom is a must, since I have 2 kids. With the extra 2 inches or so, it's actually quite similar to the LGT.

Just wish they had a hatch model, or a wiper on the sedan. Weird, I know, but my last 3 cars have been hatches/coupes ('90 GTi 16v, '94 Corrado, '05 LGT wagon) and I've REALLY gotten to used to a wiper on the back. I guess one COULD be retrofitted with enough determination :-)

As for the Stinger, from pictures it looks like the interior is very similar to the Genesis Sedan, which has a HUGE center console that's way too wide for my liking - my right leg feels like it would cramp up/irritate a nerve from constantly being pushed on. I'd probably cross-shop that with the Fusion Sport - I drove a '12 or '13 Fusion ST (the 2.0 turbo FWD) for a bit, and it was actually decent. Mind you, the Fusion Sport probably ends up around $40k anyway.

It took me forever to get used to the LGT's center console, and it's still an issue at times (I think I have a permanently sensitive spot on the right upper shin). I prefer a wide open center console area to let my knees swing around.

From what I understand, a center diff rebuild in a manual transmission Subaru is pretty straight forward.

Given that I just finished completely disassembling my transmission I can say that the center diff would be relatively easy to replace diy. Conveniently I have a whole trans in pieces so I can give anyone that needs them very specific pictures.

We ended up flipping out our 2010 LGT a couple of months ago and stepped into a 2017 Volvo XC90 R Design. Big step and loving it so far, great vehicle, but VERY different from the LGT. Still have an STI to keep me in the Subaru world though :-)

91c242154c1ed10dbf83800649238d5a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk