LegacyGT.com

Steering rack replacement: OEM, reman, or 2015 STI modified

2005 Legacy GT Wagon 5 MT with:

• Whiteline steering rack bushings

• Cusco Steering Rack Brace

• STI Steering U-Joint Knuckle

also replaced steering pump with Napa rebuilt

It's time to replace the weeping steering rack. What is the current consensus for replacement. My local mechanic will be doing the work, and they are a basic shop not versed in all the minutiae of LGT and mods.

Is the 2015 STI with cutting the tie rods shorter the direction most go? Is there a reputable re-manufactured brand available. Or just stay stock, stay happy?

For what little it's worth I had a local shop replace my rack a little over two years ago. Just out of curiosity I asked what he used, it was a napa reman. So far so good really, just one minor issue. Some very small rips developed at the ends of the boots towards the tie rod ends, right next to where the spring clamps go. I probably could have left them alone, but I figure water and other junk can get in, and not get out. A lot cheaper and easier to replace those boots with $6 oem ones than it is to do the whole rack if ignoring it caused bigger problems.

I like my 15+ STI rack. Easy install, 3 threads off each end and some thinner jam nuts. If you look around on the used market, you can probably find one from a low mile totaled car for 350-400. Or, if all you care about is the leak why not just buy some seals?