LegacyGT.com

After throwing P0011 This happened.

So my 08 GT LTD threw code P0011 Sunday, I cleared it and it came back yesterday morning on my drive to work. On my way home today this began to happen and I stopped immediately just in case and limed it into a parking spot. I'm having the car towed to my dealership tomorrow. Any ideas?

That trouble code indicates a problem with the variable valve timing system (AVCS) on the passenger side. Since the AVCS is driven by oil pressure, the usual cause is related to oil supply. Most likely in your case this has led to oil starvation of the turbo. That popcorn popping sound means your turbo is probably shot. You should not run the engine until this is checked out. There is a strong chance you will have engine damage due to low oil pressure plus metal fragments from the turbo circulating in your oil. If you catch it early enough, you may be able to save the engine. Otherwise, you are looking at an engine rebuild which is very expensive.

Check out the turbo failure FAQ:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/turbo-failure-wiki-173358.html

You can also search the site for P0011 and you will get a lot of hits from people who have had similar issues.

I guess I don't need to tell you it's a bad idea to just clear codes without diagnosing what is wrong first.

1. Dirty oil (sludge) or incorrect viscosity. Or lack of oil.

2. Blocked oil passages. Clogged Banjo Bolt Filters. (Insufficient oil pressure)

3. Faulty Oil Control Valve Solenoid(s)

4. Improper assembly of AVCS cam gear to cam shaft.

5. Sign of possible turbo failure

6. Timing off

7. Incorrect alignment/assembly of the AVCS gear.

That is exactly what my turbo sounded like before it took my whole engine with it. You would be extremely lucky to not have damaged your motor by allowing it to get to that condition.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Archived