LegacyGT.com

Outback Brakes and Rotors

mwiener2

I'm pretty sure the OBXT rotors are smaller than the LGT Rotors...dunno who decided to put the bigger rotors on the lighter car...

Are the calipers the same?

Can I get larger rotors and use the stock calipers?

Brake pads? ( I hear the endless SSM's are pretty good)

I need a setup that's gonna be 95% daily use and then the other 5% Autocross. I also dive fairly aggressively on the road so keep that in mind.

Already have SS lines and Super Blue fluid. Just wanna get at least new pads and have it all installed at once.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So if I want new pads rotors that'll just slap on, all I have to order is 02-04 wrx fronts and 04+ rears?

actually took the 5min and looked at the suby webpage

OB line: 11.5" front ventilated 10.6" rear

2.5 Legacys: 11.5" front ventilated 10.6" rear

LGT: 12.3" front ventialted 11.3" rear ventilated

Still don't understand why they didn't carry over the bigger brakes to the heavier yet equally powerfull OB

anyone selling their old LGT brakes?

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Guest *Jedimaster*
Well, it's good to get a definitive answer. Maybe now I can get my braking up to better than 1985 standards :D

• 1 year later...

you know, i was just wondering about this, too. I can't find even good brake rotors or pads for the smaller brakes that come on outbacks. anyone know where to pick up aftermarket rotors and pads for the smaller size?

seriously, anyone gone to a big-brake setup on legacy gt want to sell their oem ones?

They did that for the people that needed to fit 16 inch wheel/tyre setups. I believe Subaru felt that people buying Outbacks were mainly in the snowbelt, and wanted to have that set of dedicated snow tyres be in the much more affordable 16 inch size with taller sidewalls (which *are* better for snow driving).

Cheers,

Paul Hansen

http://www.avoturboworld.com

can anyone verify if we (OBXT owners) are ok to use normal outback sized replacement rotors? or Legacy 2.5i rotors?

Also, anyone tried EBC Yellowstuff? I've had great luck with EBC on my old bmw but am curious about the suby

I have a 2005 Service manual (anyone have an updated service manual) and according to it there are 3 brake sizes:

2.5i Legacy and outback have the smallest

2.5i LTD Legacy and Outback and 3.0 Outback have the medium

LGT and LGT LTD have the big ones

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Guest *Jedimaster*
I have SS lines and bobcat pads...made little difference. I too am on the hunt for a BBK for the car.

I'd like to too- I just can't convince myself to put a couple grand in brakes on a car that should've come with them to begin with. I like the look of the OBXT, but damn they cheaped out on a lot of things- like smaller brakes and rear sway, etc.:mad:

AS far as upgrade paths go, here's waht you can do in order of least expensive to $$$$$$$ which also happens to increase in performace as well

New fluid and SS lines ($200)

Replace stock brakes with LGT brakes ($200-800 depending on who's selling and what they are worth to that person)

Use LGT calipers with aftermarket Rotors and pads ($700-900 for 4 corners)

Replace front brakes with a BBK ($800-2500) and rear with LGT brakes and the Racing Brake Big Rotor Kit ($420 for the Racing Brake kit)

Get a four corner BBK ($1800-10,000)

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Guest *Jedimaster*
AS far as upgrade paths go, here's waht you can do in order of least expensive to $$$$$$$ which also happens to increase in performace as well

New fluid and SS lines ($200)

Replace stock brakes with LGT brakes ($200-800 depending on who's selling and what they are worth to that person)

Use LGT calipers with aftermarket Rotors and pads ($700-900 for 4 corners)

Replace front brakes with a BBK ($800-2500) and rear with LGT brakes and the Racing Brake Big Rotor Kit ($420 for the Racing Brake kit)

Get a four corner BBK ($1800-10,000)

Thanks Weiner- I'll look around for the LGT setup I think.

Archived