LegacyGT.com

2020 Subaru Legacy reviews are now live!

IcEWoLF

How’s the acceleration compare to a 05? How much does the CVT bother you?

Should be a little bit quicker.

Subaru's CVTs haven't bothered me (I've had 5 now) While not as good as rowing your own, it's better then some of the others CVTs out there and tend to drive closer to a 6/7AT then a true CVT.

Flappy paddles are fairly responsive once you get used to them, but they don't let you break anything (much).

'20 Legacy XT Touring

13 Subarus and counting: http://jmaigroup.com/subarus/

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I'll pass and keep my '06 LGT, 5MT running until I can't get parts. With 130K on the clock it has a lot of life left in it. With the COBB Stg 2 mods, AP V3, SPT catback, suspension upgrades, new Southbend stg 3 daily clutch and COBB's double adjustable short shifter w/front and ear shifter bushings, I am loving it. Kinda' loud and raw, but I like it that way.

XRT has done a couple Ascent tunes now and provided some feedback on ascentforums.com but basically Ed is saying the fa24 boost is all manually controlled. Kind of interesting find, and a definitely roadblock to tuning. But there is a chance the fa20 boost control might work on the fa24 as well.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Edited by FLlegacy

I've been following along too, interesting indeed. I wonder if Subaru knew that people would try to crank up the boost, which would compromise the CVT reliability.

Cobb posted up a power graph, which I can't seem to find, for their 93 tune (probably with an added boost controller) and it was substantial power increase (from 220wtq to 310ish). Pretty impressive!

Update: Found the post and It's WTQ that went way instead of HP, miss-read the graph.

Edited by covertrussian

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

I've been following along too, interesting indeed. I wonder if Subaru knew that people would try to crank up the boost, which would compromise the CVT reliability.

Cobb posted up a power graph, which I can't seem to find, for their 93 tune (probably with an added boost controller) and it was substantial power increase (from 220whp to 310ish). Pretty impressive!

If 310awhp or even 300awhp is a normal for 93 tune, that will really wake up the LXT (and OBXT). It has me looking forward to buying an OBXT to replace my 2009 OB in a couple years.

Found it and I miss read it a couple days ago. Peak Power gains are about 20whp giving it 240-250whp, but the torque is what it goes over 300wtq! Here's the post, and here is the graph:

attachment.php?attachmentid=280912&stc=1&d=1573918006

1528455792_CobbAscentStage1Dyno.thumb.png.66bdd12caa9744c02c389ef348b624b1.png

22 Ascent STOCK

There are probably other factors too, like 87 tune compatibility and reducing CVT load too. Having a "flat torque curve" was probably a requirement from higher ups, thus down-tuning is an easy win for engineers.

Saying that it reaches 277ft-lbs at 2,000rpm and has a "flat curve" sounds a better in reviews then it peaks 350 ft-lbs at 3,000rpm and falls off from there. Where as in the real world, when you compare the graphs the winner is obvious.

22 Ascent STOCK

Looks like a 5thgen graph ;)

Honestly after owning my 08' 3.0 outback I've got the itch for the 2020 outback. Girlfriend is twisting my arm for the legacy. I think what is selling her is an 18 limited we drove for a rental and she was a happy camper. Considering the tech in the new model I think she is sold.

8more payments on her mazda6 and we'll make the move on one. Meanwhile I'll be watching incentives

How’s the acceleration compare to a 05? How much does the CVT bother you?

Our MY05 Outback XT 2.5l turbo w/5EAT (auto)gearbox is more spirited - than the '20 OB XT 2.4l Turbo w/CVT gearbox; no question. As for the CVT gearbox operational character? The CVT is acceptable at best and yet easily mastered. However,, WTF Subaru JA? Why double down with the clumsy downmarket CVT drivetrain when there are plenty of 7sp, 8sp, and 9sp torque converter style automatics. In simple terms.

At 80 miles or so winter performance mud & snow tires were fitted, a performance tire shows-off the '20 OB's handling improvements. (The OE All-season tire sucks) I'll fit Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ for Spring, Summer, and Fall; 235/55/18 size w/ 7.5 x 18 et55 10 spoke alloy's from the Legacy sedan, years MY15 thru MY19. Will list the pedestrian OE Yokohama All-seasons For Sale shortly.

Edited by M. Schneider

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

Our MY05 Outback XT 2.5l turbo w/automatic gearbox is more spirited - than the '20 OB XT 2.4l Turbo w/CVT gearbox; no question. As for the CVT gearbox operational character? It's acceptable at best and easily mastered. However,, WTF Subaru? Why double down with the clumsy downmarket CVT drivetrain when there are plenty of 7sp, 8sp, and 9sp torque converter style automatics.

Where? Subarus transmissions are unique in the fact they house the front and center differential. Most awd systems use a transfer case attached to the transmission.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Our MY05 Outback XT 2.5l turbo w/automatic gearbox is more spirited - than the '20 OB XT 2.4l Turbo w/CVT gearbox; no question. As for the CVT gearbox operational character? It's acceptable at best and easily mastered. However,, WTF Subaru? Why double down with the clumsy downmarket CVT drivetrain when there are plenty of 7sp, 8sp, and 9sp torque converter style automatics. In simple terms.

It's entirely a matter of taste - I like the CVT because I don't have to worry about all the jerks that the car do with a stepped auto. But that's because I suffer from machine anxiety...

453747.png

Found it and I miss read it a couple days ago. Peak Power gains are about 20whp giving it 240-250whp, but the torque is what it goes over 300wtq! Here's the post, and here is the graph:

attachment.php?attachmentid=280912&stc=1&d=1573918006

I got an email today for Ascent Cobb AP

https://www.cobbtuning.com/accessport-for-2019-2020-subaru-ascent/?utm_source=ET&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=subaru111919

Of particular note

During development, we discovered that Subaru truly calibrated the ECU to use an 87 octane fuel and testing with higher octane fuel on the factory calibration did not impact the overall power of the engine, though it did clean up occasional minor knock events.

This surprised me a little that Subaru optimized the tune for 87 octane.

Stage 1 87+ Dyno Results

Peak Gains: +5% HP / +3% TQ

Max Gains: +9% HP at 4400 RPM / +9% TQ at 3800 RPM

Using the factory rating 260hp & 277ft-lbs, this equates to peak of 13hp and 8ft-lbs of torque gained.

Stage 1 93 Dyno Results

Peak Gains: +8% HP / +14% TQ

Max Gains: +21% HP at 4400 RPM / +21% TQ at 3800 RPM

Using the factory rating 260hp & 277ft-lbs, this equates to peak of 21hp and 38ft-lbs of torque gained.

This surprised me a little that Subaru optimized the tune for 87 octane.

Well Subaru seems to have two different tuning strategies when it come to Turbo and NA motors:

With Turbo Subarus 93 was required, thus Ignition Advance Multiplier (IAM) has to be at 1.0 (100%), if it's any less then there is an issue with the fuel/tune/car. Adding higher octane fuel does not increase timing, since IAM is already at the highest setting (1.0 or 100%), which in turn higher than 93 octane does not increase torque.

With NA Subaru's 87 was the recommended octane, but running 87 would result in IAM being reduced from the optimal 1.0 setting. The only way that I could get my IAM to stay with 1.0, on the stock tune, is to run 93 octane fuel. It's like Subaru built the timing table on 93 and then said: we'll let the IAM and other knock control systems reduce timing until it stops knocking. There is a definite mid-range torque increase from running 93 gas on my and my friend's NA cars (2.5i & 3.0R respectively)

That means that NA Subaru's are technically dual octane, since running a higher octane fuel, contrary to popular belief, would indeed increase overall torque.

Since the Ascent and the new OXT/LXT are turbo motors, it seems like Subaru stuck their guns and made them single octane (87). Which does also explain why there are no additional power gains from running 93 gas, IAM is simply at it's fullest 1.0 (100%) and it can't logically "go to 11".

My first thought was, well they are trying to preserve the transmissions (posts on WRX forums suggest that CVT WRX's cannot go above a certain WTQ). But then I remembered that it's inline with the tuning strategies that they have used for the past two decades.

Edited by covertrussian

22 Ascent STOCK