LegacyGT.com

With Extra-S not available anymore, what the best thing for our 5MT now?

I have a 20L drum of it in my garage :) My dealer told me Canada wasn't going to get it anymore and he sold me that one at his cost and he had one other.

You can still get subaru trans fluid, I just don't think it's exactly the same.

https://www.amazon.com/Subaru-75W90-Extra-Transmission-Fluid/dp/B0731SB4M3

Otherwise I'd use Motul

08 Spec B, insta: @08_spec_b, 10 SH Forester insta: @shfozzy

Most will now say motul is best but I've never tried it. I plan on trying it when my delvac needs changed.

Here is my list (favorite to least)

1. Extrs-S (no longer available)

2. Mobil Delvac 75W-90

3. Redline 75W-90NS

I've been running Walmart's Supertech GL5 fluid and it's doing just fine. All of my grinding issues were related to wearing pressure plate. When the new clutch went in the grinding went away (I started using SuperTech a while before doing the clutch).

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

I've tried the following, all 75w-90. Supertech synthetic blend, Amsoil severe gear, subaru extra-s, red line ns.

Red Line 75w-90NS is my favorite.

Supertech is great for the price as well, you can't go wrong with that either. I prefer red line since it shifts better in cold temperatures.

I wasn't impressed with extra-s at all, I don't get why people love it so much.

Oh yeah, the new subaru stuff seems quite different from extra-s. But it's important to note with the link below, and uoa's/voa's in general, they don't show you everything that's in an oil. Ashless, non-metallic additives won't show up.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3557119/Re:_Subaru_High_Performance_Ge

Edited by apexi

• 4 weeks later...
As most of the long time members know, it's Motul Gear 300, its not cheap...but its the best stuff out there.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Amsoil and keep trucking peeps. Quality and the stand behind there product. I have ran it in all my cars, 04 STI, EVO, 09 WRX, 08 Legacy, current 06 LGT.:)

May be it was just me but I didn't seem to have much luck their severgear oil.

I have a account with them and use there 5w-40 European Classic and their filters and do 7000 mile oil changes. May be I'll give servegear a try again. It is less money the Motul Gear 300.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 2 months later...
About a year ago I changed my 5MT fluid using Mobil1 synthetic. After a few months I noticed a slight grind going into 4th gear. By this summer it was way worse and I thought I was headed for a transmission rebuild. After reading as many posts as I could find on the issue, I decided to try a 50/50 cocktail of Redline Lightweight Shockproof and Motul 300. The grind has disappeared and it shifts like butter in all gears, fyi. Should've looked here sooner!