LegacyGT.com

Clicking noise behind dash? bad relay?

So.... Suddenly without warning this mysterious noise starts up. I can hear an intermittent clicking sound from behind the gauges. Sounds like a relay attempting to switch, then going back.... 2 or 3 second pause, then click.... Click.... Repeat.

Everything seems to be working as normal, but the clicking noise will drive me nuts. Please help! What is it? :(

Nevermind... figured it out.

I sat in the car with the engine on and decided to test some things like all the accessories, lights, etc. Everything would work, like sliding the sunroof open, until the relay went click. Then it would stop, until the relay clicked again. Interesting!

So I tried moving the seat. Same result! It works, click, then it doesn't, click, then it works again.

My wife is urging me to get going and stop fooling around, but I decide there's one more test I need to do: windows. I'm going to see if the windows also halt.

... then I realize that the passenger and both rear window switches are stuck in the UP position. I knock those back down, and wow! The clicking stops! The accessories all work like they should!

(wife borrowed the car yesterday and apparently was unaware that the switches were stuck, or had the propensity to do so)

So, if your car is making a weird clicking sounds behind the dash, check your windows! :D

• 9 months later...

Glad you found that and told us in case it happens to someone.

FWIW, my window control was replaced under warranty for the drivers window not opening because the switch was stuck up.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I am going to double check my window switches, but I had the driver switches replaced a few years back because they were sticking. Since then, I am pretty conscious about whether they are stuck or not. So I may be having a completely different issue. Thanks.

Bummer. I checked all my window switches while the clicking/knocking was happening in the dash, and that doesn't seem to be my issue. I tried fiddling with all the power items to see if I could find something that is affected by it, but everything seems to work. I guess I'll just have to turn up the volume louder on the radio until something breaks or stops working.

• 1 month later...
Guys, just FYI, my issue with the sound behind the dash still happens intermittently. The only thing that I've noticed will stop it from happening is I can enable the front windshield defrost button and it will immediately stop (if it's already happening). Any other AC/vent mode makes no difference. So far everything appears to be working, so I'll just have to wait for something to break or for it to be a constant noise and have the mechanic troubleshoot it.

• 1 year later...

blaze-

did you have any more luck diagnosing the clicking? i might have the same thing going on in my car, but i don't think that turning on the front defrost stops it. i have noticed that activating the power windows seems to bring on the random clicking, so i try to not open the windows if at all possible. Turning on climate control seems to do the same thing too.

Are all of these systems connected somewhere, possibly at a relay?

Thanks!

I did a little more digging. The B225 connector apparently goes to all of the systems that I previously mentioned (see this). Maybe that connector/relay block is my problem.

JmP688-

I have to admit I'm not familiar with the BCM functionality. I will have to look into this more.

blaze-

did you have any more luck diagnosing the clicking?

Thanks!

I never figured it out. It still happens intermittently, but other than the noise I haven't found any adverse effects. I assume that some day whatever is clicking will eventually break, and then I'll be able to troubleshoot it.

Guys, just FYI, my issue with the sound behind the dash still happens intermittently. The only thing that I've noticed will stop it from happening is I can enable the front windshield defrost button and it will immediately stop (if it's already happening). Any other AC/vent mode makes no difference. So far everything appears to be working, so I'll just have to wait for something to break or for it to be a constant noise and have the mechanic troubleshoot it.

Blaze-

The clicking started happening again on my way home from work and it was a lot more frequent than usual, but still random. Turning on the front defrost immediately stopped it though. I thought I'd tried that before, but I guess not. This has to be fixed!

JmP-

Do you have any more info on the body control module?

RMOBXT,

It used to really bug me, but over time I've learned to just turn up the radio and ignore it. Please let us know if you figure it out though. I never went through the trouble of opening up the dash to figure out what it was..

The clicking noise is most likely one of the HVAC actuators sticking...here is a thread that discusses possible solutions: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/sound-inside-dash-turn-off-car-190728p2.html

For my car the driver's side blend door was constantly clicking...turning the temp all the way up or down would stop the noise but anything in between would cause it to click. I believe there are four actuators under the dash (driver's/passenger's blend doors, mode select actuator, and fresh/recirc actuator). Cleaning the guides make the noise less common in my car but I will remove the actuator eventually as noted in the thread above to fully stop the noise.

• 1 month later...

So this problem recently has started on my car. This noise is definitely not the noise referenced in the link above...because my car ALSO has that noise. Its just a loud random clicking behind the dash. Definitely sounds like a flap or something got stuck or something. I pulled out the center vents to see if I could get a better look at anything and I couldn't see anything. I haven't run through the gamut of things that may or may not impact the noise as from my perspective its totally random. It happens with the HVAC on or the HVAC off. I did take a couple of videos of the noise and can post them when I figure out how. So now I need to fix this, and I need to fix the noise referenced in the link above...great! Maybe its time to part ways with this car.

Also when the noise occurs, I SWEAR I can feel a slight vibration in the brake pedal. I could just be imagining it though...

This just started on mine as well. I got a voice note recording with my BB, but need to find a conversion for the .amr file.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Yes, still happening on my car too. Random, sometimes not at all, stops when I turn on front defrost.

psucaptain- the noise does come from somewhere near the pedals. When the clicking is acting up really bad for me, I can tun the key off, but not all the way, so that the interior is still powered, and I can stick my head down near the peals and hear it very distinctly. I have yet to take anything apart to investigate further but I know where I'll start when I do.

Yes - mine is directly behind the dash, just above the brake/accelerator pedal area. It's loud and insistent when it "clicks". Nothing seems to "start" it and nothings seems to effect when it "stops." It may click for a few seconds, 1 or 2x, it may click in rapid succession then stop/start intermittently, or it may click intermittently for several miles. Might try to stick my phone up in there and see if I can get a better recording. Hoping for a solution.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I've experienced the infamous behind dash clicking, happens randomly and sporadically. When I mounted my boost gauge in the sunglass holder, I noticed that the clicking was being caused by a small servo that appears to operate the vents that close or open based on what setting you select on the AC. Anyone ever replaced such a thing?

I've experienced the infamous behind dash clicking, happens randomly and sporadically. When I mounted my boost gauge in the sunglass holder, I noticed that the clicking was being caused by a small servo that appears to operate the vents that close or open based on what setting you select on the AC. Anyone ever replaced such a thing?

Was the servo behind the glovebox...because this is more behind the speedo/pedal area.

I do believe that kicking on the defrost also kills the noise. I "think" it is killing it in my case...only to return when the HVAC is on any other setting than defrost (on or off).

Archived