LegacyGT.com

Changing In-Dash LCD from Japanese to English

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forum, and think this is great! I own a '03 JDM Legacy B4. The car is awesome, but I would very much like to change the in-dash LCD from displaying in Japanese to English. Does anyone know how this can be done? I would appreciate any advice. Thanks.

there's actually a little microphone in the unit and you have to get up realllllly close to it and say "conichiwa" this should open the language menu and I think the 5th option down after Swahili is English. It might take a few tries but it should work.

useless signature line where i cant mention my sponsors

"First Bagged BL5!"

there's actually a little microphone in the unit and you have to get up realllllly close to it and say "conichiwa" this should open the language menu and I think the 5th option down after Swahili is English. It might take a few tries but it should work.

:lol::spin:

there's actually a little microphone in the unit and you have to get up realllllly close to it and say "konichiwa" this should open the language menu and I think the 5th option down after Swahili is English. It might take a few tries but it should work.

fixed. ;)

P.S. Your title should read "I touch myself romantically." Just thought I'd let you know...

My 9.3 cups EJ22 makes me feel like my **** is 2.8 decimeters!

I guess that's what you get when you're the new guy :icon_chee Any more ideas?

Update - The dealer is pretty certain that the display language can't be changed. Looks like I'll either need to learn Japanese or seduce the unit by whispering "Konichiwa" .. :) I also called the local ECUTek guru, and he too dashed hopes of changing the language. I'll keep looking, I'm sure it can be done ..

Yes, this can be done, but it's quite a job.

A Russian programmer is writing new firmware to make JDM Legacy speak Russian here

Look at the screenshots before and after. Very impressive

This is very impressive indeed! So if that is possible surely a Japanese to English conversion must be possible as well.

I don't know how hard will it be to do it though...

Can anyone with a programming backround enlight us?:)

It makes economic sense for Subaru to make one hardware platform and one software platform capable of showing a variety of languages depending on which market the vehicle is destined for. So region specific things like language, among other things, could be passed to the software once as a parameter, or flag. The other point may be if a display unit destined for the JDM would have English language symbols already in its memory, or only Japanese language symbols. So if you can even change the language parameter there is no guarantee the unit would be able to actually find language symbols to render.

Where that software parameter is stored or adjusted is up for debate, I was hoping it was a setting in the menu, but it may be stored on a chip or in the ECU and accessible through a data port - I really have no idea. This is all supposition though, input from someone who has experience in the ECU would be great!

"I think I'm turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think soooo!"... also works.
My 9.3 cups EJ22 makes me feel like my **** is 2.8 decimeters!

I had touchscreen in my Galant while I was in Japan, I feel you for wanting English, it is a real PITA to just guess and hope your right

I'm telling you man, there is also the prerecorded messages you get, I really need to learn Japanese :lol: .. I'm getting the ECU flashed soon, I'll ask the guru about the LCD then. He promised me all manner of tricks including different boost settings for when the Econ button is engaged, and for when its in Sport mode. Things should be getting interesting now.

Archived