LegacyGT.com

LGT Owners, what car will you drive next?

Checked it out at the New York International Auto Show. Good numbers, didn't feel it. Rear visibility also wasn't optimal food me.

Fair enough - I am WAY more dependent on my mirrors and backup camera than in my LGT. It is cool that the mirrors auto-tilt down when backing up. That plus the parking sensors, and I've managed ok so far.

I test drove one and while it had some giddy up the transmission was slow to pick a gear and start applying that power.

That's what the paddle shifters / manual mode are for :lol:. Stock for stock in sport mode, it's MILES better than the LGT was when new. After HexMods + tuning, the LGT was a bit better, maybe. I don't really miss much about the LGT other than the visibility.

One thing I have noticed - the throttle mapping is different than many cars. Lots of cars have that "step on 10% and get 30-40% power" to make it feel quicker (looking at you FCA minivans!), which just leads to wheelspin with a ~300 hp FWD non-LSD car. And then, the remaining power is spread out over the next 90% throttle, not always linearly. I'm always having to hold back on the initial press to avoid wheelspin in the van. The Stinger is the opposite, especially in comfort/eco - it was how they got better mpg / emissions, I believe. You have to hit 75%+ throttle for it to actually respond. Plus, they have an old-school kickdown switch under the pedal. In Sport mode, floor it, and it will pick a good gear and move. Manual mode has even more control.

Not great visibility and the back seat was a bit of a joke.
Can you explain what you mean by "bit of a joke"? My family had no real issues with a multi-hour road trip - I'm 6'1", wife is 5'9", kids are ~5'7" and ~5'3". Back seat space seems comparable to Q50 and similar to LGT. It's no Lexus/Maybach, sure..

There were some cool features like passenger seat power controls duplicated on the left of the seat back so the driver and adjust the seat back to normal from inside the car.
What model was this? Can't say I've seen or heard about this feature in any way. Was this a car show pre-production model?

I do realize the car isn't for everyone - not trying to say it is. It has been a bit of a (re)learning curve after 14.5 years in the LGT. Is it perfect? No, definitely not. There are definitely things I want to fix soon - springs + sways is a common upgrade. Plus, some power things.. But even if I could only ever drive it stock, I'm quite happy - 100% stock it's already as good or better than my constantly-upgraded-over-14-years-LGT in almost every way. YMMV.

Edited by hadvw
Ugh - how do I fix the constant "insert 3 lines after every paragraph thing"?

After LGT wagon, I got into a Ford Flex EcoBoost for a little while

Now driving a 2011 M3 sedan

Tired of turbos

It's why I went with a NA Flex- plenty fast enough for something this size.

Too bad Ford didn't put any marketing into the Flex instead of dropping it. As far as wagons go- it's the biggest out there and most important- not a mini van.

I think it's the best one out of the new small(er) trucks. But, with my history, I would have to go Gladiator.

Good luck, spend some time on the forums. Jeeps quality is absolute garbage right now. Yes I know all about forums, but the JL one had a lot more issue on it than any other car forum I've ever been one.

Frames with poor or even worse missing welds on frames, and then a ton of bugging electronics issues, even manuals that you normally think of as bullet proof were having issues.

That is a good point. If you own a Jeep. it's kinda just part of the game. I've had 8 Jeeps, and 6 parts Jeeps. My wife thought we had a junk yard the first time she met my parents :).

FYI, I've been Jeep free for 5 years now. Sometime I get the craving, but the 2 step process has been working.

Step 1: Sell Jeep

Step 2: Buy Subaru

That is a good point. If you own a Jeep. it's kinda just part of the game. I've had 8 Jeeps, and 6 parts Jeeps. My wife thought we had a junk yard the first time she met my parents :).

FYI, I've been Jeep free for 5 years now. Sometime I get the craving, but the 2 step process has been working.

The Jeep of today isn't the Jeep I owned in the past.

Good to know about Jeeps. My girlfriend previously had only owned Jeeps 20 years before buying her current Toyota Highlander used. She has been talking about buying a Jeep again. I am the mechanic, so I would prefer to not be doing a bunch of extra work.

TJ's are pretty solid, esp '03-'06 after the refresh. Most JK's are not bad, but the 2007 had an issue with the pressure relief valve in the fuel tank and it would burp fuel when filling up. You would learn to listen to it and let it settle down. We had a '07 Unlimited Rubicon, so I had plenty of experience. :) I believe it was fixed for 2008.

Step 3: profit

Looks great.....in my own case (Some years ago) I had gone to the dealer specifically to buy a new Forester and in each trip ended up seduced by new Legacys..... a 2012 Legacy 2.5i Ltd. and then 2 years later a 2013 Legacy 3.6R Ltd. Both of them bought at whopping discounts, mostly due to them being late in the year models and partly by the fact Legacys don't sell well around here and are heavily marked down near the end of each model year.

Your Fozzy looks great...we actually test drove a red one just like that a few years back.

Not next, but alternately: just picked up a ‘12 Nissan Frontier SV, king cab, 4x4, 131k. Needed a kayak (x3) hauler for WV roads around the cabin that the LGT would not make it down, or shouldn’t be driven down in any case. Getting it serviced now to check off some things the PO passed on, mainly differential and transfer case refills and new plugs. Otherwise a solid truck for the 37 miles per year I’ll likely put on it.

• 2 weeks later...

The 2020 Outback is really calling to me today. I love the green exterior with the black cloth interior.

Does anyone know if the DI issues have been resolved yet? Or is cleaning the intake valves just part of the maintenance?

Part of me really wants the XT, but I'd hate to have to have leather seats. I'll need to test drive a 2.5i Premium to see if the power is adequate for me or not.

The 2020 Outback is really calling to me today. I love the green exterior with the black cloth interior.

Does anyone know if the DI issues have been resolved yet? Or is cleaning the intake valves just part of the maintenance?

Part of me really wants the XT, but I'd hate to have to have leather seats. I'll need to test drive a 2.5i Premium to see if the power is adequate for me or not.

The 2.4 is plenty of power in the Ascent, I can't imagine it will be lacking in the outback/legacy. I recently had a 2019 Legacy and I can say it had a very good feel to it as far as a highway cruiser, I wouldn't mind one for a daily driver at all.