LegacyGT.com

4th Gen 5MT Wagon Excessively Slowing Down While Coasting

Happy Monday Everybody,

Pretty stumped by what I'm currently experiencing and hoping y'all can help out.

As stated in the title my '05 LGT Wagon with the 5MT feels very sluggish while coasting. I'm talking 5th gear coasting down hill and the car isn't even picking up speed, more often than not it's slowing down. Feels like something is pulling on the car from behind to keep it from speeding up. Also, doesn't roll back nearly as rapidly on small inclines.

I know what you're thinking and sticky brake pads/seized caliper was my first idea as well. I just swapped pads and rotors four weeks ago so I figured it must be that. However, I've had a front seized caliper before and I'm not getting any similar symptoms. I'm getting no steering wheel shake, none of my rotors feel excessively hot after driving the car, and no drivers seat vibrations - which I imagine would mean rear rotors?

Anyways, I'm thinking about popping out all the pads and inspecting them + greasing the portion where they insert to the caliper to see if that solves my problem, but I am skeptical given the lack of rotor heat.

FWIW I've checked tranny oil level, looks good, and I'm not getting any concerning sounds from gearbox or diffs.

Any ideas? Don't want to take it to a shop and pay hundreds for a small job. Thanks!

Did you get new tires recently?

I am thinking you are probably spot on as far as something in the brakes. New tires would slow you down a little but not excessive at all.

Now heres the question of the day. What kind of pads and rotors did you use? I had a slight issue with some Akebono Rotors I used with some Duralast ceramic pads a few years back. Found out it was the pads that were making contact with the rotor because of a factory defect.

Why are you coasting down hill in 5th gear, take the tranny out of gear, put it in neutral and let the clutch out.

I do that every time I drive my cars.

Sticky caliper is my bet.

You may want to look at the sticky about clints tips at the top of the Brake Forum.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/clints-tips-and-tricks-brakes-58401.html

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Why are you coasting down hill in 5th gear, take the tranny out of gear, put it in neutral and let the clutch out.

I do that every time I drive my cars.

Sticky caliper is my bet.

You may want to look at the sticky about clints tips at the top of the Brake Forum.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/clints-tips-and-tricks-brakes-58401.html

Your car actually uses less fuel coasting downhill in gear because it shuts the injectors off while the injectors stay loaded due to holding an idle when in neutral. It's also dangerous and illegal to leave your car rolling in neutral for extended rolling periods of time anyways.

To OP, there are lots of long hills on the highways in Oregon and my car doesn't accelerate at all when going downhill on highway 217 south in 5th gear. In fact, it often slows down. Unless your calipers are sticking like Byron mentioned, you're probably not experiencing anything unusual.

Going down a hill in gear, it will generally maintain speed or slow down a bit due to engine braking and rpm going down. Going down a hill out of gear, it will generally accelerate because it has no resistance unless a brake caliper or E brake is dragging.

Your car actually uses less fuel coasting downhill in gear because it shuts the injectors off while the injectors stay loaded due to holding an idle when in neutral. It's also dangerous and illegal to leave your car rolling in neutral for extended rolling periods of time anyways.

In my mind, the speed gained coasting in neutral, allows me to roll further before getting back on the gas. There by, making up for that little gas used to maintain idle... it's all in how you rationalize...

;)

Also gives me a chance to hear any noises.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

In my mind, the speed gained coasting in neutral, allows me to roll further before getting back on the gas. There by, making up for that little gas used to maintain idle... it's all in how you rationalize...

;)

Woosh noises are always worth dumping a little fuel :)

This car has probably the most aggressive engine braking I've encountered after having driven many manual cars. You'd be able to tell if it were brake-related because the car would likely have some sort of handling/steering ailment.

;)

I used to hyper mile my old Saturn Astra since it had a great (and accurate) consumption screen on the infotainment, that even showed l/hr when idling.

I would say if the hill is steep enough to maintain speed in gear, or speed up in gear, leave it in gear. If the car slows down in gear, then it depends on what is coming up next. If there is a light, or other traffic, leave it in gear, if it is clear ahead, pull it out of gear and get the free rpms. Maybe tuck in behind somebody else.

Anyways, in the Legacy, I would say it is pretty normal for the car to not speed up in gear even on steep hills. I've driven some mountain passes around here, and the road into my community is pretty steep, and there is no speeding up in gear. If something about the car has changed recently, and brakes are all that have been done, then I would start there. Even a worn out wheel bearing could cause a very slight slow down before making noise. Maybe with the weather change you got some condensation in the lines, or some additional rust and the caliper isn't sliding properly.