LegacyGT.com

(Premium) Audio Amp Wire

So I have a question. I have my dash out and am hunting down the audio amp wire (premium audio MY08+) that goes from the engine fuse box into the car. In 05, it doesn't go to anything per the wiring diagram. See my post here. I am searching for it and I can not find where it terminates. Anyone have any ideas of where I should be looking? Edited by jaylew

Wagon is LIFE! - 265,000 miles and climbing

Unofficial Build (Restoration) Thread

Steering Rack Rebuild

So for those of you that are owners of a 2005 and want to install the Harmon Kardon stereo from 2009, or just want to have another 12 volt point to use then here you go.

The '05 MY has the 20 AMP fuse and wire in the engine fuse box that is designated for 'Audio'. In '05, that wire and fuse are not used even though they are present.

The '09 wiring diagram has the incorrect location for the wire (at least when used as reference for finding the wire location in an '05). '09 diagram says the wire is connector B97, when it is actually B98 for '05.

The Red with Black stripe wire just terminates in the right foot well. Add a male pin to the other side of the connector and boom, you now have 12V.

It routes from the left wheel well pass through grommet, through the dash, to the right foot well just below the door harness connector.

Some backstory here

Have fun

310368584_2009harnesslocation.thumb.JPG.6e5167d1758e978e54a8d4ddf8bd8990.JPG

IMG_3744-min.thumb.jpg.d2e6afe624f4d40480f66e964bcbd9bf.jpg

IMG_3754-min.thumb.jpg.85af1235c23ce593e76b62387c4988dc.jpg

211741856_2009schematic.thumb.JPG.48ffbb10532711f71943522d64946a1e.JPG

Edited by jaylew

Steering Rack Rebuild

Quick follow up.

1) I rewired my own OE subaru HK stereo in my 2005 and now have it working properly with the amp pulling power from this wire. In MY 05 it is plug B98 (right foot well)

2) Went to a junk yard today and pulled the entire HK harness from an MY 09. The wire moves its termination to B97 (left foot well) which is indicated in the MY 09 wiring diagram.

Interesting how it is even there but not used in 05 but also moves locations. Random stuff

Steering Rack Rebuild

Quick follow up.

1) I rewired my own OE subaru HK stereo in my 2005 and now have it working properly with the amp pulling power from this wire. In MY 05 it is plug B98 (right foot well)

2) Went to a junk yard today and pulled the entire HK harness from an MY 09. The wire moves its termination to B97 (left foot well) which is indicated in the MY 09 wiring diagram.

Interesting how it is even there but not used in 05 but also moves locations. Random stuff

Is HK OEM radio any better than say 07 OEM with MP3 input?

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Honestly the 07-09 standard OE head unit with the SRS sound control is pretty good IMO. I have one of those rigged up as my garage radio.

I just took this on as a challenge to install 2 years ago but now I fixed the way it is powered / grounded to make it 'proper'.

It has different woofers and tweeters in a doors compared to standard. It also has a sub in the back (in wagons, its in place of the right cubby). The HK stereo also drives the woofer and tweeter in doors individually compared standard where they are both tied to the same wires without anyk kind of frequency tuning. There is a separate amp from the head unit that goes under the passenger seat

If you are willing to put in the time to wire it up correctly, I think its worth it. Sounds great and keeps it OE

I also have the OE ipod control module hooked up for the SAT button (not the best control interface but better than just using aux)

Edited by jaylew

Steering Rack Rebuild

Honestly the 07-09 standard OE head unit with the SRS sound control is pretty good IMO. I have one of those rigged up as my garage radio.

I just took this on as a challenge to install 2 years ago but now I fixed the way it is powered / grounded to make it 'proper'.

It has different woofers and tweeters in a doors compared to standard. It also has a sub in the back (in wagons, its in place of the right cubby). The HK stereo also drives the woofer and tweeter in doors individually compared standard where they are both tied to the same wires without anyk kind of frequency tuning. There is a separate amp from the head unit that goes under the passenger seat

If you are willing to put in the time to wire it up correctly, I think its worth it. Sounds great and keeps it OE

I also have the OE ipod control module hooked up for the SAT button (not the best control interface but better than just using aux)

ha-ha, I think I am crazy enough to actually run additional wires for better sound quality, did that on my old 93 5MT Camry... But if I do that what's holding me back from going aftermarket amplifier and such ;)

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K