LegacyGT.com

another time to sell thread

Heya fellow 4th gen'ers.

I'm seriously considering getting out of the LGT game after almost a decade two LGT's, an exhaustive list of aftermarket parts and (please don't count how much) $$$ sunk into this dirty dirty habit :eek:

My car is almost at it's ultimate form. You can check out my for sale feeler here. Just a JDM bumper, Spec B arms and a full flex fuel setup bought but not installed to make it the "perfect" build in my mind.

I have three other project cars, 4x4 van, fj60 land cruiser and a first gen 4runner (er trucks) a dirtbike habit, a 2 year old and a house building project all on the horizon. We also picked up a new 2019 VW Alltrack which is def satisfying my 6MT turbo wagon feels for a daily (I mean it could use another 100hp but gotta get the better half comfortable with me messing up a perfecting good brand new car, the madelorian line of "this is the way" isn't working yet).

I'm just worried that even if I get around to installing the final kit on the LGT, I'm not really going to drive it that much and won't be worth any more with it installed. Its also a bad habit, I'm still cruising croooooober and ebay looking for uber rare JDM parts I really don't need. I may just need to kick the habit once and for all?

But I'm also worried that I'll have regrets if I sell, because I know they aren't ever going to make another car like this. I sold my 1975 911 and have been kicking myself ever since, now they're too expensive to get another one.

I know, so many feels, but sorta of just need to talk it through, since you're the only ones that can truly understand.

This car, even if it's a mint, stock, low-mileage 5-speed turbo wagon will never accumulate as much value as your old 911 did. I doubt that these will see much, if any appreciation. So don't get too caught up on that part. We all have regrets. A Legacy GT is not that uncommon of a car. If you're sentimentally attached to yours in particular, however, then that's only something you can put a price on.

I put my car on Craigslist last year before doing an engine rebuild as I was teetering on replacing my 5MT wagon with a Boxster. I sometimes still kick myself for not just getting rid of it because, despite a new engine going in, it still has it's moments that irritate me. I'm very attached to my car, however, and I love the way it looks, it drives (when it works or the problems are too trivial for me to care about when I'm balls-deep in the right pedal) and all that jazz. The first set of people that looked at my car online were not the right type of buyers I'd feel really good selling to, and they luckily didn't buy my car, so I took the ad down and have kept it to this day.

Maybe the time will come because it gets too old to economically drive, but if you're on the fence about it and you don't have some big life event about to hit you (cost of a wedding, kid on the way, college debt to pay off, etc) then I'd just tell ya to keep it and drive a regular car more often so driving your baby is more of an occasion.

that old 911 was never as fun as your wagon. Your memory is fuzzy. I drove a spec miata recently trying to make up for selling mine. meh, the joy is gone.

big nw meet is coming up. thinking i should put on all my squirreled away parts and bring the wagon out for a day. the dealership has an endless supply of shaved tires (used) and shralp's wheels need to be used.

wish I had 15k, i could use another wagon. :)

Boxkita- that 2400lb 911 had a Carrera 3.2 motor with about 240 hp. it was pretty damn fun.

But yeah, I get it. And not so much worried about the value. It is the rareness of a 6MT wagon and all the days and days of work to get this car to where it is. So few stock parts left on it. Ha!

Please take this with a grain of salt, and I feel guilty for saying this, it looks like a wagon that has a number of interesting parts, but not 15k. It honestly doesn't present well except for some parts which are actually pretty enviable to me at least - Tail lights, sti gauges and the damd wheel. Everyone wants a 6sp wagon, but without the factory option it immediately puts it into project car territory. Again still desirable, just not S402 type factory value.

What I see is a committed owner who has spent a long time amassing parts they wanted, which I completely respect. More often then not, this translates to pennies on the dollar when it comes to selling the car as a whole. I feel like parting out what isn't currently bolted to the car is probably your most profitable route. And at the end of that I still see a non mint, though rare, but not probably more than $9k car.

I'm sure the current skirts are some version of something, but the primer state really detracts from it being a clean, good condition car. For 15k I'd expect something requiring zero work. $15k is the "I listed it but I'm not getting any hits, sorry honey." price.

Again, apologies for being a little down about it. I sincerely hope you get top dollar if it does sell, and if it doesn't you are able to enjoy it in the immediate future.

Edited by seanyb505

Boxkita- that 2400lb 911 had a Carrera 3.2 motor with about 240 hp. it was pretty damn fun.

But yeah, I get it. And not so much worried about the value. It is the rareness of a 6MT wagon and all the days and days of work to get this car to where it is. So few stock parts left on it. Ha!

In my spare time, I teach driver skills to Porsche owners. In our region, it's a stepping stone to hpde. We have names for most of the interesting features on the track, mostly from old 911's.

I get the stupid fun of a lightweight high powered car. I also get the dollar numbers for keeping something that old fit enough to enjoy all that. My point was more of "you thought keeping your wagon on the road was rough, keeping that 911 alive would ensure you never get a house".

I currently drive a toyota tacoma. It feels more like a stadium race truck after driving a wrx for several years. Otoh, curbs and other traffic control devices are annoyances instead of limits. Cornering is more about letting the truck do its thing than carving the apex.

Getting the wagon out for a flog occupies more brain cells than I'm willing to admit. I should part the shop out and move on, but memories are strong motivation to do more stupid stuff.

good luck with what you decide. I feel for you :)

yeah, part of why I got out of the 911 was the fear of a $10k engine rebuild! My daily is an 86 4runner with a long travel suspension, so I can relate to how much fun and practical the truck is, especially out here in NM. So many places to explore. But then I take the wagon up my fave twisty roads and I get all the feels again.

Part of it is that the wagon is so quick, I don't drive it enough to feel super confident pushing it anymore

If it's any consolation, even though 5mt wagons are getting more rare, I don't think they are going up in price, at least not up here in Canada. I paid $6k CAD ($4800 USD) for mine with 150,000 miles (243,000 km)

Your car is pretty awesome, I would love to make my car like yours, but up here I'd be lucky to sell that car for $10k CAD, simply because it's a Legacy and not a WRX. I know that modifying cars is always a losing proposition but I can't stomach that much loss these days.

Also, good choice on the VW, I've been looking at 2019 Sportwagens as they are available with under 30,000 kms for less than 23k CAD right now (unfortunately DSG is really all that's available, and most are white). Alltracks are not easy to find up here, even though it would be a slightly better ski car for the family.

You can gift it to me. I will cover the shipping. LOL. Good Luck with a beautiful wagon that was VERY well cared for and maintained over the years.

thanks for all the great work you did on that car when it was Jacob's. motor is still super strong, no oil consumption.

Yeah, we got the Alltrack with 6mt for $21k brand new, hard to beat, its a great car. Feels like an evolution of the LGT in a lot of ways, with a way higher quality interior. Tuning is weird with these though. Can chip/dp it to +80tq +60hp which should keep me happy when I start to get bored but I'm still trying to figure out the VW turbo tuning. I had a bunch of NA vw's back in the day, but lots changed since CIS injection.

If it's any consolation, even though 5mt wagons are getting more rare, I don't think they are going up in price, at least not up here in Canada. I paid $6k CAD ($4800 USD) for mine with 150,000 miles (243,000 km)

Your car is pretty awesome, I would love to make my car like yours, but up here I'd be lucky to sell that car for $10k CAD, simply because it's a Legacy and not a WRX. I know that modifying cars is always a losing proposition but I can't stomach that much loss these days.

Also, good choice on the VW, I've been looking at 2019 Sportwagens as they are available with under 30,000 kms for less than 23k CAD right now (unfortunately DSG is really all that's available, and most are white). Alltracks are not easy to find up here, even though it would be a slightly better ski car for the family.

Yeah, we got the Alltrack with 6mt for $21k brand new, hard to beat, its a great car. Feels like an evolution of the LGT in a lot of ways, with a way higher quality interior. Tuning is weird with these though. Can chip/dp it to +80tq +60hp which should keep me happy when I start to get bored but I'm still trying to figure out the VW turbo tuning. I had a bunch of NA vw's back in the day, but lots changed since CIS injection.

My only concern with a canned tune and the 6mt is if the clutch will hold up. I've seen lots of complaints of slipping clutches in tuned GTIs and even stock Rs whereas the DSG versions seem to have little to no problems up into the 400 HP range.

I would sell off a few other toys you have and keep the legacy. I think in the next 5 years, these cars will be more of the classic Subaru performance sedans. I plan to have mine for as long as I can. I like the look people give me when they see it. It's because it is different. all cars look the same now, nothing stands out, and people buy the same cars.

These cars might not be the fastest, but it's about having something different. i could go buy a hellcat today, but then I would be like all the others who go buy one.

I had the WRX, STI, and others, but I never see 05-08 LGT anywhere. I love when I show up to a meet and people are like what is that car, and whats done to it

I'm just worried that even if I get around to installing the final kit on the LGT, I'm not really going to drive it that much and won't be worth any more with it installed.

I say drive the car - why even have another daily if yours is sorted? Especially given the truism that you'll never get what you put into it back out. Is devaluation due to more wear and tear/accumulated miles on what is objectively a $10k car really worth worrying to the point where you don't even drive the thing you (presumably) built to drive and enjoy?

Every time I think about how much time and money I've dumped into mine, I think about what it brings to the table. It's a cool, niche-y wagon that makes good power and handles fantastically. I spend a good bit of time on the road and daily driving this thing through twisty back roads is oftentimes the highlight of my day. Ultimately, I've stopped caring about cosmetic and mechanical minutiae, and learned to just take the car as what it is and enjoy the hell out of it while I can. I intend to run it into the ground - that's the only way I'll feel like I got anything close to my money's worth out of it.

My .02.

I say drive the car - why even have another daily if yours is sorted? Especially given the truism that you'll never get what you put into it back out. Is devaluation due to more wear and tear/accumulated miles on what is objectively a $10k car really worth worrying to the point where you don't even drive the thing you (presumably) built to drive and enjoy?

Every time I think about how much time and money I've dumped into mine, I think about what it brings to the table. It's a cool, niche-y wagon that makes good power and handles fantastically. I spend a good bit of time on the road and daily driving this thing through twisty back roads is oftentimes the highlight of my day. Ultimately, I've stopped caring about cosmetic and mechanical minutiae, and learned to just take the car as what it is and enjoy the hell out of it while I can. I intend to run it into the ground - that's the only way I'll feel like I got anything close to my money's worth out of it.

My .02.

Very well put, thank you!

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

I don't know if your Legacy GT Wagon will ever appreciate in value, but as they age it will be harder and harder to find nice examples. Many of your LGT wagon specific mods will probably be nearly impossible to find in the future. All of the modified vehicles I have sold, I haven't regretted selling them, but I know it is the last time I will ever own that car like that with those mods. I miss some of them but have no interest in owning them again.

As I have gotten older, I have more money, but my wrenching time become more scarce. I haven't been price out of any prior vehicle i have owned yet like your 911, but I have been priced out a couple cars that I driven and wanted to own.

^ Especially in the US. Wagons just don't get that market appeal, even for well loved cars that are harder to find over time like this one. Coming from someone who digs a nice wagon :) Actually considering dipping into an older car like this for a wagon.. options today are the $$ Volvo V90, $$$ Jaguar XF Sportbrake, and the $$$$$ Audi RS6 Avant. I'd super saiyan yell in excitement for a Levorg. Good luck if you go forward with a sale.. I'll be lurking for the next year as I decide what I want.

^ Especially in the US. Wagons just don't get that market appeal, even for well loved cars that are harder to find over time like this one. Coming from someone who digs a nice wagon :) Actually considering dipping into an older car like this for a wagon.. options today are the $$ Volvo V90, $$$ Jaguar XF Sportbrake, and the $$$$$ Audi RS6 Avant. I'd super saiyan yell in excitement for a Levorg. Good luck if you go forward with a sale.. I'll be lurking for the next year as I decide what I want.

V90 is too big for the city. LOVE my V60 :hide:

V90 is too big for the city. LOVE my V60 :hide:

I do like the V60 as well. I guess the debate is.. does size matter or is it what you do with it? :lol: those extra few inches could make a big diff. I should also clarify my last comment with the options I listed... those are the ones that jump out at me. Haven't been into VWs or Audis since mid-late 2000s. The Avant is the exception to any rule that exists in any book.

I wouldn't exactly call it a comfortable daily for a family in New Mexico with kids. Super stiff suspension, heavy clutch and looooow to the ground which is a real thing here. And it wasn't me who wanted the VW wagon ;) but point taken.

And yeah, I guess the issue is I don't really drive much at all, walk to my work, etc. So I just don't get to enjoy it much. Reality is, that this isn't worth nearly as much to someone else as it is to me.

Probably just need to eek out just a bit more wrenching and driving time. And a house with more parking

My .02.

Love hate relationship with Subarus. Love to drive it, hate the niggling little things, love the looks it gets from people, hate the lousy gas mileage, love the way it handles, hate the lowness sometimes.......on and on. You know the drill.

It's yours, it's no one else's, and how often can you say that about a car? I'm keeping mine (purchased new in 10/24/04) basically forever having done a lot like you to make it mine and because having a couple of other cars (2014 Mustang with a TON of track mods done, and wife's Forester along with 2 Chrysler minivans <Shut UP Byron>), the Subaru is civil and comfortable to drive while the Mustang is a beast and not as comfortable to drive.

Good call to bring it to discussion as you get to hear from every vantage point.

Good luck with your final decision.

I had this same debate with my 01 Audi TT bought it nearly 15 years ago dumped well over 10k in modds in to it, did all the work myself, then I had two kids and it sat, sometimes outside under a cover , paint got nuked......I ended up selling it , took a bath on it of course .....then shortly after I bought the legacy to presumably just start the cycle all over again.

The only upside for me is I have back seats now and can take the kids in it.

What I'm getting at here is if you sell it you will almost certainly pick up another project so I would say go wild with it do the crazy stuff you held out on, or sell it and pretend like your not going to get another project car , or by some miricale actually don't.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Im in the same boat as you. Luckily me exwife lets me keep my leggy in her garage for now and I start it up and drive it around every other week or so. Its a tough decision without a doubt. Every time I start her up, and my 5 year old daughter enjoys all the sounds the car makes, makes me think over and over to not post up for sale. I have the full list and price ready, all I have to do is post, but my hands go numb. Probably the better sleeper cars I have built. I regret selling my 02 Lancer OZ Rally and even tried looking for it again. Just dont want to regret a great looking subie and in great condition given its age. Good luck on your decision brother. :cool:

Follow me on IG @chefodiycarguy

and @chefo.soriano