LegacyGT.com

SSD Strut Bar Arrived

Don't get too excited, this is more of an unboxing thread than anything else. The bar JUST came in and I had enough time to unbox it and take some pictures before family arrives from out of town for the weekend.

I hope to have a review posted by next weekend, at the latest.

Cost: $228.55, including shipping and tax (I had saved up gift cards from various promotions, so it was actually less than that, though I can't recall if I got the gift cards for 10% savings or other, sorry).

Anyway, here are the pics (I can't figure out how to embed the pics, so link only - sorry):

https://imgur.com/a/zE8KFZj

830246827_SSDStrutBoxandWrap.jpg.e86c8b1d11f4a4ad1213643feae660ac.jpg

1695497707_SSDStrutContents.jpg.6d02bf58423258c5d86a9f0ab2a84282.jpg

1831154715_SSDStrutWhole.jpg.9e134b2c394f59247f7bb432ec321644.jpg

816186503_SSDStrutEnd.jpg.4b63c0d4601ba270f5372953c831a024.jpg

884317443_SSDStrutEnd2.jpg.f71b380c0f66f27b348bbd962294cd23.jpg

Edited by gathermewool

'15 FB25

Magnatec 0W-20 + FU filter (70,517 miles)

RSB, Fr. Strut Bar, Tint, STI BBS, LED er'where

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(I can't figure out how to embed the pics, so link only - sorry):

Actually I know the feeling. I for one would appreciate it, if anyone can provide in simple language (for a simple person :lol:) a 101 lesson on embedding pictures to a forum post.

Just to preempt the inevitable ... I know "search is my friend" but the friendship appears broken ;)

Don't get too excited, this is more of an unboxing thread than anything else. The bar JUST came in and I had enough time to unbox it and take some pictures before family arrives from out of town for the weekend.

I hope to have a review posted by next weekend, at the latest.

I would be very interested to know if you feel any improvement in steering & handling once fitted.

Based on the front strut towers being welded to the firewall on the gen6 Libertys/Legacys & gen5 Outbacks, I was sceptical that a front strut bar would make any improvement to the handling & steering of these models.

But I recently hired a Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross LS (compact SUV) & was surprised that it had a top front strut bar fitted standard from the factory even though the front strut towers are welded to the firewall. Comparing the build of the Mitsubishi to our current Outback I would say the body panels are thicker on the Mitsubishi & the body appears stiffer - and the Mitsubishi certainly isn’t a sport car.

Subara Australia have an STi Flexible Tower Bar listed as an accessory for the Liberty (Legacy) & the Outback at $1,105.67 AUD. At that price I don’t think they would sell many. I think that bar is similar to the one that came factory fitted on the Australian spec SJ Forester tS.

After just recently having a windscreen replaced due to a crack that occurred some weeks & some considerable kms after a repaired stone chip, I wonder if a front strut bar would stiffen the front just that little bit extra to take some of the stress off the windscreen during cornering & on rough roads/terrain.

Edited by XT-sub

… (I can't figure out how to embed the pics, so link only - sorry):

Actually I know the feeling. I for one would appreciate it, if anyone can provide in simple language (for a simple person :lol:) a 101 lesson on embedding pictures to a forum post.

Just to preempt the inevitable ... I know "search is my friend" but the friendship appears broken ;)

It looks like images can be uploaded to a member’s public album once created. I haven’t tried this so I don’t know how difficult or time consuming it would be. Look under ‘Albums and Pictures’ in the FAQ here: https://legacygt.com/forums/faq.php?s=&do=search&q=images&match=all&titlesonly=0

It looks like images can be uploaded to a member’s public album once created. I haven’t tried this so I don’t know how difficult or time consuming it would be. Look under ‘Albums and Pictures’ in the FAQ here: https://legacygt.com/forums/faq.php?s=&do=search&q=images&match=all&titlesonly=0

Thanks D, .... I had a quick look at those instructions ... but I might have to wait to finish my university degree before trying it :lol:

Thanks D, .... I had a quick look at those instructions ... but I might have to wait to finish my university degree before trying it :lol:

:) No Uni degree required for that, it’s a piece of cake, I just tried it. There are two methods to add an image to a post. One is to & from a User’s Album where they will remain until deleted, & the other is directly to a post. Here is a 101 instruction that may help.

User’s Album Method:

There are certain requirement for image size & dimensions. Under picture limits it states:

“Pictures Remaining: 60 (total number per album).

Maximum File Size per Picture: 97.7 kB

Maximum Picture Dimensions: 600 by 600 Pixels

Pictures will be automatically resized to fit within these constraints if possible. However, you may receive better results by doing it manually.”

To carry out a test I prepared two images as follows:

(1). Reduced a photo I took of the Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross LS strut brace I previously mentioned in GIMP 2 (Image > Scale Image) from 6.57 MB 4592 x 2584, to 97kB 450 x 253 to meet the forum requirements.

(2). Took a screen capture of the STi Flexible Tower Bar I previously mentioned from the website with ‘Firefox > Take a Screenshot’ which saves in .png format. I reduced this with GIMP 2 (Image > Scale Image) from 1,227kB 1058 x 785, to 67kB 600 x 445 to meet the forum requirements then exported it in .jpg format.

Even though these would have been automatically resized I decided to reduce the size in GIMP 2 to give possibly better results as mentioned under the picture limits, but there is a bit of mucking around to get it right (I don’t know how much better they would be though & if it is worthwhile).

I then created an Album in my User Control Panel to upload those two images to as follows:

(1). Goto ‘User Control Panel’ ('User CP' on the top bar).

(2). Under ‘Your Control Panel > Networking’ click on ‘Pictures and Albums’.

(3). Under ‘Album Title’ click on ‘Click here to add an album and start uploading pictures’.

(4). Under ‘Add Album’ make sure ‘Album Type > Public’ is selected (this is the default). Give the Album a title in ‘Title’ (I gave mine ‘Strut Bar’). Give the Album a description in ‘Description’ (I gave mine ‘Various strut bar photos’).

(5). Click on ‘Submit’ to create the Album.

(6). Click on ‘Click here to upload pictures’.

(7). Under ‘Pictures to Upload > Browse …’ browse for the image you want to upload.

(8). When the image has been located, click on 'Open', then ‘Upload Pictures’ & the image will upload & display.

(9). To attach an image in the album to a post. Click on the image & it will appear full size with the Picture URL & the BB Code underneath.

(10). Highlight the BB Code (left click), right click copy & paste to your post. The image will appear in your post (Preview Post will show where it is before submitting).

Below are my two test image samples. Ideally they should appear as the same size but I had to reduce the ‘Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross LS strut brace’ image smaller than 600 x 600 to meet the 97.7 kB maximum size requirement. I suppose I could have reduced the ‘STi Flexible Tower Bar’ image to suit.

Direct Attachment Method: (the quick way)

(1). From your post click on the attachments icon (paperclip) & a ‘Manage Attachments’ window will open.

(2). The ‘Attachment Key’ in that window gives the Filetype, the Maximum Filesize & Maximum Image Size requirements which will be reduced to a suitable size when loaded.

(3). Under ‘Upload File from your Computer’ Browse to the image you wish to attach then click Open. The image filename will appear beside Browse…

(4). Click on ‘Upload’ & the image will upload & the filename will show under ‘Current Attachments’. The ‘Manage Attachments’ window can now be closed. (If the image is to be removed click on ‘Remove’).

(5). Click on the attachments icon (paperclip) & it will show the filename of the uploaded image. Click on this & the image will be attached to the post. Clicking on ‘Manage Attachments’ will open the ‘Manage Attachments’ window again if required.

If any of the above isn’t clear, send me a PM & I’ll clarify so that we don’t clutter up gathermewool’s SSD Strut Bar topic.

picture.php?albumid=2779&pictureid=12569picture.php?albumid=2779&pictureid=12570

(1). STi Flexible Tower Bar. (2). Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross LS strut brace.

Edited by XT-sub

I would be very interested to know if you feel any improvement in steering & handling once fitted.

Based on the front strut towers being welded to the firewall on the gen6 Libertys/Legacys & gen5 Outbacks, I was sceptical that a front strut bar would make any improvement to the handling & steering of these models.

But I recently hired a Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross LS (compact SUV) & was surprised that it had a top front strut bar fitted standard from the factory even though the front strut towers are welded to the firewall. Comparing the build of the Mitsubishi to our current Outback I would say the body panels are thicker on the Mitsubishi & the body appears stiffer - and the Mitsubishi certainly isn’t a sport car.

Subara Australia have an STi Flexible Tower Bar listed as an accessory for the Liberty (Legacy) & the Outback at $1,105.67 AUD. At that price I don’t think they would sell many. I think that bar is similar to the one that came factory fitted on the Australian spec SJ Forester tS.

After just recently having a windscreen replaced due to a crack that occurred some weeks & some considerable kms after a repaired stone chip, I wonder if a front strut bar would stiffen the front just that little bit extra to take some of the stress off the windscreen during cornering & on rough roads/terrain.

I am sure it will stiffen front end I feel it and also can tell by dashboard rattles most of them disappeared after ssd bar. Also according to carcomplaints.com Legacy already has multiple complaints for cracked windshields for no reason. I am positive front end is flexing in turns and creating stress on the windshield.

Edited by aki334

... I am positive front end is flexing in turns and creating stress on the windshield.

Thanks for the feedback. I think that happens with all cars but there is something wrong with the gen5 Outback windscreens. Over the years I’ve driven a lot of country roads with various vehicles & had quite a few stone chips, but this is the first time I’ve had a repaired stone chip eventually crack at the very end of the star crack. And this happened some weeks & some kms after the repair.

If the strut bar takes some of the stress off the windscreen it is well worth the money. I’ve already used up my one nil excess windscreen replacement for the year, & these genuine windscreens are very expensive for Eyesight equipped vehicles. But when I asked the manager who replaced my windscreen if a strut bar brace would take some of the stress off the windscreen he said he doubted that it would but he said it would help the handling.

Thanks for that website link. Actually the gen6 Legacy isn’t too bad compared to the gen5 Outback or the Mazda CX5, but perhaps the Outback & CX5 owners complain more. I’ve summarised a few makes & models below between 2015 & 2019 year models from that website.

Subaru Gen6 Legacy total windscreen cracked complaints = 3. (2015: 1, 2016: 0, 2017: 2, 2018: 0, 2019: 0).

Subaru Gen5 Outback total windscreen cracked complaints = 40. (2015: 11, 2016: 1, 2017: 4, 2018: 16, 2019: 8).

Subaru Forester total windscreen cracked complaints = 8. (2015: 1, 2016: 2, 2017: 1, 2018: 4, 2019: 0).

Toyota Camry total windscreen cracked complaints = 1. (2015: 1, 2016: 0, 2017: 0, 2018: 0, 2019: 0).

Honda Accord total windscreen cracked complaints = 8. (2015: 0, 2016: 0, 2017: 0, 2018: 8, 2019: 0).

Honda CRV total windscreen cracked complaints = 3. (2015: 0, 2016: 1, 2017: 2, 2018: 0, 201: 0).

Mazda CX5 total windscreen cracked complaints = 32. (2015: 10, 2016: 19, 2017: 0, 2018: 3, 2019: 0).

:) No Uni degree required for that, it’s a piece of cake, I just tried it. There are two methods to add an image to a post. One is to & from a User’s Album where they will remain until deleted, & the other is directly to a post. Here is a 101 instruction that may help.

Direct Attachment Method: (the quick way)

Thanks mate ... I like the quick way ;)

I've been driving more aggressively lately to try and get a good feel for stock. There's one sweeper I want to take at a (safe) higher rate of speed than usual, before and after the install. If I can help it, I want to time the before and after as closely as possible.

I don't have any issue with creaking while turning into inclines; however, there are a couple of spots that used to cause my previous STI to crab-walk (lift a wheel or two due to stiffer front and rear sways) that I want to try before and after the strut bar install, so I can pay specific attention to any differences.

Thanks mate ... I like the quick way ;)

+1 Didn't even notice the attachment option in advanced! :redface:

Pics are up in the OP. I'll take more when it's installed.

'15 FB25

I've been driving more aggressively lately to try and get a good feel for stock. There's one sweeper I want to take at a (safe) higher rate of speed than usual, before and after the install. If I can help it, I want to time the before and after as closely as possible.

I for one appreciate the effort you are putting into this. I would also be interested if you find the ride to be any firmer over rough roads & also if you notice any improvement in turn-in.

Going by your photos that bar appears to be a very solid well-made bar. The end parts that bolt to the strut top (with the two holes) looks to be a made from thicker metal compared to other bars. Just going by photos my guess is the SSD bar is something like 3/16” or 1/4” thick whereas other brands that have three holes per side appear to be only about 1/8” thick.

My thoughts on this: With the thinner metal bars the bar ends can be pulled down flat with the three top strut nuts allowing for any manufacturing inaccuracies, whereas with the SSD bar it may not pull down flat due to the thicker metal (recommended torque from the FSM for those nuts is only 14.8 ft/lb). This is assuming there is some manufacturing inaccuracy in that area with the SSD bar, which of course there may not be. I would be interested in your thoughts on this when you are fitting it, plus the clearance to the brake master cylinder filler cap.

… however, there are a couple of spots that used to cause my previous STI to crab-walk (lift a wheel or two due to stiffer front and rear sways) that I want to try before and after the strut bar install, so I can pay specific attention to any differences.

I think what you are describing is similar to what possibly caused my windscreen to eventually crack. The day before I noticed the crack I remember driving off the edge of the road down a relatively steep grass bank to park the car off the road. Later when I was returning to the road I drove the car forward at an angle onto the road which would have tried to twist the car diagonally, so I think this put a lot of stress on the windscreen & caused the crack.

I have the Sti Bar and Definitely can tell the difference. I little more quicker steering response..

Thanks, that’s good to know, I’m in favour of quicker/better steering response.

I like the idea of the STi flexible strut bar, mainly because from what I have read it doesn’t make the ride any harsher. But at the outrageous cost of that bar in Australia I think I’ll give that one a miss.

I'll put a micrometer on it and see how thick the bar ends are. I do agree that this bar seems much sturdier than the bars I've used in the past.

I'll get pics of the gap between the strut top studs and the bar holes, too. I'm hoping it's a very tight fit, otherwise, I can see 15 ft-lbs of torque on the nuts not being enough to stop the bar from slipping.

'15 FB25

I have an STi flexible bar on my Gen 5 Legacy 3.6R..... Picked it up on a local Buy/Sell from a guy who had it on his Outback... $100 Cdn ;)

I agree that it sharpens the steering a bit during "sporty" driving but during daily driving there is no difference....Nice under hood bling though :)

For $100 it's a great buy...........for over $1000 I would seriously give it a miss :(

B40IuEo.jpg

eSY600u.jpg

I have an STi flexible bar on my Gen 5 Legacy 3.6R..... Picked it up on a local Buy/Sell from a guy who had it on his Outback... $100 Cdn ;)

I agree that it sharpens the steering a bit during "sporty" driving but during daily driving there is no difference....Nice under hood bling though :)

For $100 it's a great buy...........for over $1000 I would seriously give it a miss :(

B40IuEo.jpg

eSY600u.jpg

Yeah nice price for the Gen 5 Edition.. The Gen 6 Fitment is wider I tried a BM Cusco Bar from a 2014 when I first bought my car and found it didn't fit.. The Rear Strut does fit though..

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I agree that it sharpens the steering a bit during "sporty" driving but during daily driving there is no difference....

Thanks for that info. You got a bargain at $100.

Installed (torqued to 185 in-lbs) and went to the store for a quick opcheck.

Fitmet: perfect

Initial impressions on change in handling: Definitely Aladeen

1537464973_SSDFullCarCorner.thumb.jpg.d58c4c2f2f11a27401c1829708ecc40a.jpg

2129220998_SSDHeadOnFull.thumb.jpg.d0eb1d1249070644048ed111d5727c66.jpg

1179031908_SSDCornerFull.thumb.jpg.e611fbf8e12a4fab62560cfa88221960.jpg

1663647806_SSDEndClose.thumb.jpg.b012295832b70dcbf0fc3e988a763af4.jpg

1910168686_SSDEndTop.thumb.jpg.c33f0dc4535d8c033ddf16b98acd004c.jpg

Edited by gathermewool

'15 FB25

Fitmet: perfect

That’s definitely a positive. :) Those photos are great; it shows me that the engine cover on the 3.6 engine should still fit. Black was a good choice; it doesn’t look too obvious like I think the red one would. There is plenty of clearance to the brake master cylinder filler cap, which was one of my concerns. And you still have a couple threads left on the studs; I measured mine at 1/4” of available thread which should be adequate.

Initial impressions on change in handling: Definitely Aladeen

Hmm ok, I’ll wait for a bit longer testing to see what the positives & negatives are before ordering one. :)

I purchased mine from Amazon.

Also, Aladeen is a reference to the movie The Dictator, in which a made-up middle-eastern dictator changes more than half of the local dialect to be his name, Aladeen. There's a funny bit where a patient has to rely on the expressive Dr's face to determine whether he is HIV Aladeen or HIV Aladeen, since the dictator changed both positive and negative to his name.

'15 FB25