LegacyGT.com

Advice, Help Legacy 18, 9000 mi electronic's? issues

2018 Legacy, 1 yr 8 mo, 9000 mi, 4th OC Sept 19.

Up until now, Legacy preformed beautifully, solid, smooth, quiet, comfortable, great handling in any weather, recently got 32-34 MPG 4 cyl has plenty of power. Everything has worked fine.

Below are recent effects & observations from driving the car a little less than 2yr. Since the overwhelming use of tech in cars today, I think very few have the diverse tech & mechanical know how to understand & diagnose a solution.

The check engine lite never come on since we bought the car. If any of you guys or gals have any ideas as whether I dreaming of something or is this happening at the MRI level. Do I need to find someone with brain surgery or rocket science experience?

Dealer & Subaru csv mentioned if no check engine lite comes on, everything should be ok & they could check the car eom July.

1]
After filling up with gas, & driving a short distance (about 30mi) noticed MPG was less than 20 MPG, normally between 25-27 & higher. At the same time it felt like the engine was not shifting in to a higher ratio. As I slowed down trans seem to move to a lower ratio, car slightly decelerated.

2]
GPS: Entered an address 30 mi away & was presented with a location only several miles. Re entered location got same results.

3]
Several instances I was directed in a cattiwampus route sometime thru subdivisions.

4]
GPS directed to make a left turn but NJ law discouraged me & the concrete divider wouldn't let me either. Maybe TT's GPS software can't understand NJ's famous "Jug Handles." They have been around for at least 50-60 yr. A few "if then" statements should do it.

5]
Sometimes backing out garage, emergency brake doesn't release. Have to release several times to disengage.

6]
In cruise control, QUICK up/down motion of steering wheel control will not increment the speed by 1 MPH. Only increments +/- 5 MPH.

Regards,

klxdrt

Just to let you know you are not having electronics issues just senior moment issues.....I can certainly relate especially when I enter a room to get something and then forget what I came for.

First Have you look through the manual? Do you have your setting for fastest routes or scenic routes.

Now a built-in Navigation system is only as good as the data that it uses and the moment you purchased the vehicle the map data is around 2 year old and still not 100% accurate. You can install the latest map updates but again it still will not up to the minute in accuracy.

You can learn to use GPS application such as Google Maps which is more accurate on your smart phone or Waze if you own an Android device. These apps programs are more dynamic because of users are always requesting changes to the map data which keeps the data fluid.

Reference your owner's manual on how to operate your speed adjustment on your cruise control since it can be different from different model years. The emergency brake is usually not needed when parking in your garage, just make sure the engage light is off to verify you are fully disengage before backing up.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul![emoji2]

Edited by Yoda_One
Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

5] Sometimes backing out garage, emergency brake doesn't release. Have to release several times to disengage.klxdrt

There was a time early in my ownership when I was having the exact same problem until I realized what I was doing wrong. In my 2016 model, the emergency brake will not release if the seat belt is not connected. When I buckle up there is never a problem :)

Guys,

Thanks for all the good tips.

Results of yesterday's test drive.

1] Transmission shifted smoothly thru all steps, gas mileage increased 47%.

Did the cvt stick in a lower gear? That's what it felt like to me & RPMs were higher than "normal"

5] seatbelt was not buckled, EMB released. I used seat belts in a 56 Merc, my buddies thought I was "nuts" for using them so I don't need tech or the govt to tell me to use seat belts.

6] CC still would only increment 5 MPH. It would increment 1 MPH with a quick "nanosecond" up or down flick of steering wheel cntrl.

I'd like to clear up #6 the CC increment situation. Do any of you guys now how many nanoseconds the steering wheel tab needs to be flicked, because in NJ I like to drive just a little below the spd limit?

2-4] GPS issues: Had a 2012 Sonata with rudimentary GPS,

wasn't large, pretty or cool but it worked in SC.

Moved to NJ, bought a Garmin hand held, it wouldn't handle the Jug Handles either. Called Garmin several times & some of the people I talked to did not know what a Jug Handle was. Explained, the conversation went cattiwampus, said good by.

The big take-away of all this is the "highly trained" people at dealer didn't understand any of this because the Chk Engine Lite did not come on.

Legacy is a great car & is running fine now even if I have to live with some tech quirks. In my experience, Eyesight, Collision Avoidance & BU Camera is all the Legacy needs.

Thanks again,

klxdrt

Edited by klxdrt
take out line space

... I'd like to clear up #6 the CC increment situation. Do any of you guys now how many nanoseconds the steering wheel tab needs to be flicked, because in NJ I like to drive just a little below the spd limit? ...

Forget the nano seconds, I haven't timed it but it could be something like 1 or 2 seconds. :) In my experience if I hold the ACC switch & try to estimate the time, I find I will sometimes release the switch too early & it will change by 5km/h on my 2019 Outback 3.6R (5mph on your car).

I found the most reliable way was to observe the ACC speed setting in the dash & hold the ACC switch either up or down until I see the speed setting change by 1km/h (1mph on your car).

To summarise:

A short flick of the switch will increment/decrement the ACC setting by 5mph.

Holding the switch until you observe the ACC speed setting in the dash update by 1mph will increment/decrement the ACC setting by 1mph.

XT-sub

nickempirepa posted this: Yeah the CC on my 19 does the 5mph jump too... you have to tap it real quick to do 1mph increments.

Tomorrow I'll try your method.

Do you know where I can find the ver# of the TT GPS SW so I can download an update to flash dr, & upload from the USB port in the dash?

Regards,

klxdrt

... nickempirepa posted this: Yeah the CC on my 19 does the 5mph jump too... you have to tap it real quick to do 1mph increments....

Yours may or may not work like that. I have a Japanese designed & built Australian spec MY19 2019 Outback 3.6R so it could be different to the USDM 2018/19 Outbacks & Legacys. My money is on the way I suggested though. :)

In Australia, over a few years Subaru Japan made a change from a single stage cruise control switch (Iab-N-Dab) to a two stage switch (Ib-Ia-N-Da-Db) then back to single stage switch (Iab-N-Dab). ('I' meaning Increase, 'N' meaning Neutral position & 'D' meaning Decrease). I assume the USDM vehicles also had this change.

In the following subaruoutback.org forum post I replied to Fraserh, who owns a Japanese designed & built 2015 Outback 3.6R, how my previous Australian spec MY16 Liberty (Legacy) 3.6R worked. https://www.subaruoutback.org/threads/cruise-control-speed-adjusting.512467/post-5852911

... Do you know where I can find the ver# of the TT GPS SW so I can download an update to flash dr, & upload from the USB port in the dash? ...

I assume you are asking where you can find what version you currently have in your Legacy.

If so, on mine in the Infotainment screen it is under: Home > Settings > General > System Information.

Mine has just been updated & it shows: ‘Rel_UD.19.17.70 Navi Database Version: Australia and New Zealand_2017.03_...' (your Navi Database Version will obviously be different).

XT-Sub

Thanks, Just bought a Subaru to handle NJ & NE winters not a DOS 2.0 pc.

I really appreciate your thoughtful answers. I learned from them, no BS.

I'm going to check your suggestion out today.

Regards,

klxdrt