LegacyGT.com

Chasing feedback knock w/logs

Abductee

History- 2009 SWP Outback XT 5mt. I have had the car since Nov 2018. 170k miles on chassis, 30k on engine. Car was purchased from a Subaru repair shop in Broomfield CO by my son about Aug 2017. Short block was replaced for an unknown to me reason. I am not sure what was reused when the short block was replaced, but my son was told the turbo was replaced with the motor.

Car drove well when I got it but was needing maintenance items. I took the car to my local Subaru dealer and had them look it over. Inspection came back in good health. I noticed once day the car was running hotter than normal (slightly over halfway on the gauge) and found the sub fan wasn't turning. I changed out the relay and that fixed that. I didn't like that the gauge wasn't more accurate (I like numbers and real data) so I started looking into obd2 readers like I have in my other vehicles. Long story short- wound up with Cobb AP v3. Loaded and ran Stage 0 tune so I can read obd2 values and started watching things. Some research of forums and what not taught me to watch learned fuel values DAM(IAM) feedback knock and fine knock learning. I started noticing from day 1 with the AP a consistent FBK that very very rarely wound up with FKL when driving mostly in traffic or slowly as I shifted from 2 to 3rd, and again when I shift 3rd to 4th. It never happens when pulling away in 1st, or downshifting to say 2nd to turn right even accelerating at the same pace that causes the issue.. Also I have noticed that if when I shift, I hold the throttle steady after letting out on the clutch and then accelerate slowly it rarely will show any FBK. Further research indicates that some FBK at light throttle is fairly common, but only up to a 3.xx or 4.xx amount. I can easily see sometimes 11.xx and 7's 8's and 9's are pretty much every drive, but sometimes there are no issues at all.

What I have done- New air filter, CRC cleaned MAF, new Rev9 turbo inlet, all intake clamps replaced with Murray dual bead clamps, smoke tested to 10psi, new OEM intercooler to TB hose, all vacuum lines inspected or replaced, new intercooler orings. I have also tried changing the Stg 1 91oct and 93 Oct tunes. No change with any fixes. I only ever run Shell 93oct from the same station (super busy always fresh gas). Car is bone stock except for the inlet and AP (performance wise).

WOT pulls in 3rd gear 2500 to 6200 rpm have Zero FBK or issues. Car pulls smoothly without hesitation.

I have included fresh logs from the AP showing some of the instances I have mentioned. I notice that the 2-3rd usually happens right after the fuel pump duty cycle goes from 33 to 66. Fuel filter? I also notice the commanded fuel final seems leaner than i would think it should be, but I am not familiar with Subaru's fuel/timing strategies. Maybe front o2 sensor?

Like I said, runs great, drives great. Honestly if I did't have the AP I would have no indications there was anything wrong.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2-3rd usual 09-06-19.csv

2-3rd usual 09-06-19 c.csv

2-3rd usual 09-06-19 b.csv

• 11 months later...

For those looking for info on similar issues,

the knock I was experiencing was caused by my turbo cartidge seals being blown and pushing oil through the intake. When I pulled the vf46 to replace it with a BNR 16g, I found a nasty mess and had to pull the intake manifold and throttle body off to degunk it. Once everything was clean and the new turbo installed, no more knock. Surprisingly, the TMIC didn't seem to terribly bad. I did go ahead and replace it with a Grimmspeed unit anyways. An AOS would have helped, but would simply have been a bandaid over a gash needing sutures.

Good luck