LegacyGT.com

Anybody have any luck with mirroring their phone screen to the head unit through the car's MirrorLink App? It would be awesome if it worked (for those of you that don't know, its the same idea as Android Auto or Apple Carplay, which are all very much in development, as is MirrorLink). I've done some research on it on the Outback forum and it seems that it doesn't work with most phones operating on the newest android system since the MirrorLink version in the car is outdated and not compatible with the newest versions that our phones would require.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My dealer told me by summer. I do find it interesting that the app is completely gone in the new promotional videos. Also I'm more and more annoyed that Bluetooth doesn't do much with my iPhone. I can't get SMS to work and the starlink is useless unless I plug it in. Being as my ride to work is only 17 min it would be great if it would work on Bluetooth like androids.

I just emailed SOA about both issues and will let you know what I get for a response.

So it seems Subaru is now back pedaling on proving any future updates or support for the current Starlink system now that they've announced the new one for next year. I'm rather disappointed in this as my dealer and other older replies from SOA had indicated otherwise but alas they already sold the car so I guess they don't care.

Hello Jeff:

Thank you for contacting Subaru of America, Inc. and congratulations on the purchase of your 2015 Legacy 2.5i Ltd Sedan. I am happy to learn that you are overall pleased with your new Subaru.

1. I am sorry, as there is no modification available to allow for use of the Starlink apps with your iPhone without connecting it to the USB port. We do appreciate you bringing this product feedback to our attention. I will pass on your feedback to Product Development to consider when developing future models. Past input from our customers has been helpful in initiating changes to our newer models. The most valued opinion of any business is that of its customers. Your comments are valuable to us in that they provide us with a clear picture of our products as seen by our owners.

2. Your 2015 Legacy is equipped with Mirrorlink version 1.0. Subaru engineers do not currently have testing information for US market Mirrorlink-compatible cell phones. Some phones may work with Mirrorlink 1.0 but require that the customer to install a gateway app like Drive Link on their phone at their discretion. This app is what allows connectivity on certain phones to the available apps maintained by the Mirrorlink consortium. Once installed on phone, the customer can see and access the apps offered and maintained by Mirrorlink. Here’s where android customers need to go: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=app.scm&hl=en.

If you need any future assistance, Jeff, please let us know.

Sincerely,

John J. Mergen

Subaru of America, Inc.

Customer/Dealer Services Department

1-800-SUBARU3 (1-800-782-2783)

So it seems Subaru is now back pedaling on proving any future updates or support for the current Starlink system now that they've announced the new one for next year.

Sounds like they are leaving it to MirrorLink consortium of phone mfgs and car mfgs. to come up with working versions. Since Mirrorlink is in the 2015 head unit, upgrading it is doable so if the Mirrorlink consortium gets it worked out, we should be able to upgrade painlessly.

Failing that, replacing the head unit with one that runs Apple CarPlay or Google Auto would be an option. My local car electronics shop already offered a couple units to do this but I'll wait a bit. I upgrade cars every three years so my upcoming plug-in hybrid with have to have it.

I'm fairly certain Mirrorlink works just fine on other aftermarket head units. The issue with subaru is the unit was only programmed for version 1.0 and they don't have or don't know how to make an update for their unit.

I'm not ripping it out. I bought the premium for the sound system more than anything else. I'm old enough where I wanted one from the factory that looks good with the car. I love this piece in the dash. Aftermarket with a surround around the deck would look good awful.

Guest rayms69
on my s5, which i just got last week, it has mirrorlink. havent tried it, but it sparked my interest. I will play with it on my next set of days off.

Guest rayms69
android version 5.0, sound right? I thought it upgraded to lollipop, im not so tech savy with phones, all the details that is

The new drive link 2.0 do not work with mirror link, the only person that ever got it working was on like Jelly Bean somewhere on a S3, and it was a pain in the ass.

I actually have an S3 that I was going to try and downgrade but it already got the 4.4.2 upgrade which keeps me from downgrading without bricking.

If your Samsung S5 is running jellybean version 4.2 then Google the app Drivelink and then USB connect to your HU all's good. But I bet your are running Lollipop 5.0 and MirrorLink 1.1 and you are SOL.
Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

Correct about our Subaru's having Mirrorlink 1.0. Newer phones have Mirrorlink 1.1, which does/can not communicate with 1.0.

Subaru needs to update their HU's to 1.1 and it should work.

A Subaru engineer that spoke with me about a month ago during repairs on my car told me he was told an update might be released this summer with a visit to the dealer to have it performed.

Ahhh ... finally found Mirrorlink.

The entire time I thought it was an App from the Google Play store like Starlink (now Subaru Starlink from the latest update)

Several car companies are making hay over these kind of features, and SOA has it in the car, but wont promote it, or even work with consumers to get it fixed. I had a ford with Sync, which was terrible, but better maintained than this.... Good car, terrible info-tainment system...

• 1 year later...
If there were enough people that would really want to get this working with any version of android, I would suggest to head on over to the XDA forums and make a request and start a bounty to whomever can make this happen. They have done this in the past to get "un-rootable" phones rooted/jail broken. These guys know the ins and outs of Android and Linux and can potentially make this happen. I myself downgraded my old Samsung Galaxy S3 to jellybean and it works. The only drawback is that when you are running Mirror link with Waze or Google maps the car radio is muted so you will have to figure out how to play music along with navigation. thoughts?

You'll need to download atleast three supported apps from the mirrorlink website in order for Mirrorlink to un gray out on the car. But it's used less, as the Mirrorlink support apps are junks, only if someone figure away to really actually mirror the phone screen and use all apps on the phone.

16' Legacy Mods: 55w HID + XB35 5500k, LEDS upgrades, XB Type T Fog, 20mm SB.

Custom Footwell Illiminate Kit; http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/15-legacy-outback-footwell-illumination-kit-237567.html

• 1 month later...

11/21/2016 - New update for the 2015-2016 Legacy & Outback models with “Gen 2” Fujitsu-TEN (F10) Navigation and 7” Display Audio Units

The latest software updates contain new logic to address the following concerns:

Mirrorlink 1.1 updates

Enable Mute function for Navigation guidance

Incomplete display of intersection names in combination meter

Increased accuracy of the XM Traffic information displayed

Intermittent delay (approximately 1 minute) in display of map information after initial start-up of Navigation function (2015MY Legacy and Outback only).

Other Symptoms addressed:

Symptom 1:

Audio output is lost after a few minutes when listening to Sirius/XM satellite radio.

Change:

Logic update to provide proper Sirius/XM satellite radio operation.

Symptom 2:

Bluetooth feature becomes inoperative.

Change:

Logic update to provide proper Bluetooth feature operation.

Symptom 3:

HD Radio “freezes” after a few minutes of play.

Change:

Logic update to provide proper Sirius/XM satellite radio operation.

Symptom 4:

Back-Up Camera “help lines” do not appear.

Change:

Logic change to have the assist lines appear 8 seconds from engine start.

Symptom 5:

Map location is inconsistent between Navigation display and iPhone when using

the iPhone’s Google Maps with the phone connected to the USB port in console.

Change:

Logic update to show correct vehicle location on iPhone.

Symptom 6:

Roads or interchanges have the same name displayed multiple times.

Change:

Logic update to show only one road or interchange name at the same time.

Symptom 7:

Navigation function is slow to start when selected.

Change:

Logic change to eliminate Navigation system slow-starting condition.

Symptom 8:

No map display with key or ignition in “ACC” (accessory) position.

Change:

Logic change to allow Navigation system operation in accessory ACC mode.

Symptom 9:

No voice guidance provided from Navigation system after selecting a route unless

the ignition is cycled off and back on again.

Change:

Logic change to stop voice guidance “Mute” function from defaulting to “ON”.

Symptom 10:

Steering wheel switch controls inoperative with iPod (MP3) player

connected to the USB.

Change:

Logic change to allow proper steering wheel (satellite) switch functionality.

Symptom 11: Incorrect Umlaut characters are shown on StarLink display.

Change:

Logic change to allow proper display of Umlaut letters.

Symptom 12:

No response from the soft touch keys on display.

Change:

Logic change to improve communication between display and internal CPU.

Symptom 13:

Back-Up Camera is displayed with shifter in positions other than Reverse.

Change:

Logic change to allow display with shifter in Reverse only.

Symptom 14:

“Line Diag screen is intermittently displayed while driving.

Change: Logic change to prevent display of the “Line Diag” screen.

Symptom 15:

“LIST” soft touch key is not displayed on Bluetooth Audio screen while using Bluetooth audio feature with an Apple device utilizing iOS8 software version.

Change:

Logic change to enhance compatibility with iOS8 software.

Symptom 16:

“Beep” sound heard when touching the bottom of the display screen where no function soft touch keys are displayed.

Change:

Logic change to eliminate beeping sound from inactive soft touch key screen areas.

Symptom 17:

Sirius/XM caution message screen is displayed in English even when French language operation settings are selected.

Change:

Logic change to make all messages display in the selected operating language.

Symptoms 18-22:

The following symptoms are all related to the inability of the software to properly load. One or all of these 5 conditions may occur at the same time.

Change:

Logic updates included where applicable to address each of the following conditions:

Repeated display of the “Loading” screen at initial unit start-up

Bluetooth device pairing failure

Inoperative steering wheel (satellite) switches

Voice recognition feature inoperative

Sirius/XM radio feature inoperative.

Other Symptom and updates included:

• Logic change to provide a “_” (underscore) character on the keyboard.

• Logic change to match engine oil maintenance remaining mileage on the maintenance reminder screen to the odometer meter value on the combination meter when mileage unit is set to read in “KM” (kilometers).

• Logic change to insure the Vehicle Mode indicator on the Vehicle Monitor screen matches the actual vehicle status. Example: The wheel indicators on the vehicle monitor screen no longer stay illuminated indicating VDC is “active” after VDC activation is complete.

• Logic change to address improper calculation used by the head unit to determine Average Lifetime Fuel Consumption displayed on the ECO monitor.
  • Logic change to address Voice Recognition error when user says “Radio” or “Music”.
  • Logic change to address the radio (audio) not resuming play automatically after ending a Bluetooth call.
  • Logic change to address FM radio station presets resetting to 87.5MHz intermittently when cycling the ignition OFF to ON.
  • Logic change to address AM radio station presets resetting to 513KHz intermittently and possible switch from AM to FM if a 513KHz preset is selected.

Update is available through your dealer and takes up to an hour to complete, dealer can refer to TSB# 15-205-16

11/21/2016 - New update for the 2015-2016 Legacy & Outback models with “Gen 2” Fujitsu-TEN (F10) Navigation and 7” Display Audio Units

Thanks for posting. That TSB doesn't even show up on the STIS web site yet. Do you know if there is a corresponding update for non-NAV F10 head units?

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Thanks for posting. That TSB doesn't even show up on the STIS web site yet. Do you know if there is a corresponding update for non-NAV F10 head units?

Yes, same TSB, covers both radios on 15-16 Legacy's & Outback's. Nav or non-nav. TSB was published to STIS on 11/21/2016

Archived