LegacyGT.com

19mm rear sway bar install

Guest rayms69

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those who own the 22mm, do you feel it's 150% better than the 20mm, to justify the 150% price increase?

I think a key consideration is whether or not you plan to tweak your suspension setup further. If the sway bar is the only suspension mod you're going to make, then you can sorta estimate the result, and I suspect there's not a, say, US$150 difference between the 20mm fixed and the 22mm adjustable.

But if after you add the bar, you then get springs/shocks/coilovers, different front sway bar, alter offset with new wheels, or even reduce unsprung weight through wheel and brake upgrades, you might find the need to adjust your rear sway bar to compensate for those other variables.

Also, a brake upgrade is a lot more demanding on your suspension setup since you'll find yourself braking later and harder, and you might find yourself wishing for an mm of sway bar adjustment. Or not. Just highlighting some considerations. Let us know what you choose.

@redvenetian on Instagram

I think a key consideration is whether or not you plan to tweak your suspension setup further. If the sway bar is the only suspension mod you're going to make, then you can sorta estimate the result, and I suspect there's not a, say, US$150 difference between the 20mm fixed and the 22mm adjustable.

But if after you add the bar, you then get springs/shocks/coilovers, different front sway bar, alter offset with new wheels, or even reduce unsprung weight through wheel and brake upgrades, you might find the need to adjust your rear sway bar to compensate for those other variables.

Also, a brake upgrade is a lot more demanding on your suspension setup since you'll find yourself braking later and harder, and you might find yourself wishing for an mm of sway bar adjustment. Or not. Just highlighting some considerations. Let us know what you choose.

Thank you for the insight! I'm currently awaiting messages from 2 guys with used Whiteline 22mm adjustable bars off of craigslist. If I get a response with a decent price (under $150) I'll be grabbing those. If I don't, I'll be picking up a 20mm through my dealer.

And there is in fact a $150 us dollar between the two. The 20mm STI sway bar is $90 at my local dealer, and the Whiteline is about $240. An extreme increase..

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Wish I could get my dealer to do this. I asked but they didn't want any part of it saying it would void my warranty. In addition to the regular warranty the dealer extends it to lifetime unlimited mileage on the drive train so maybe that's got something to do with it but I thought they would have jumped at the chance to make some money. I don't see how a 20 mm rear sway bar would compromise the drive train ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^^ It compromises the warranty of anything directly connected to the anti-sway bar.

That said, just do it yourself. 4 bolts.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

^^^ It compromises the warranty of anything directly connected to the anti-sway bar.

That said, just do it yourself. 4 bolts.

No desire to do it myself and I'd most likely screw it up if I did.

I'm just having a hard time understanding why one dealer will do it and another won't. If in fact it truly does void the warranty then why would any dealer do it?

I really don't think it has anything to do with your warranty. If you stick with a Subaru part and don't exceed 20mm I find it hard to believe you can be denied any warranty work. It's a anti-roll bar...that's it. It is EXTREMELY easy to do it yourself. 4 bolts as fredrik stated...I did mine in my driveway in under 30 minutes. A monkey could do it and I'm no auto mechanic...but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night:lol:

I really don't think it has anything to do with your warranty. If you stick with a Subaru part and don't exceed 20mm I find it hard to believe you can be denied any warranty work. It's a anti-roll bar...that's it. It is EXTREMELY easy to do it yourself. 4 bolts as fredrik stated...I did mine in my driveway in under 30 minutes. A monkey could do it and I'm no auto mechanic...but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night:lol:

LOL. I agree. Get a buddy to help you. Simple.

The only thing that may not be warrantied is the sway bar it self and they don t go bad.

I ordered a 20mm RSB (native to the WRX) through my dealer. The price was about the same as online. I bought the car new from them four weeks earlier. They installed it with no questions. A dealer part installed by a dealer on a new vehicle: I cannot see why they would have done that if warranty would be an issue, especially with a new customer.

I'm glad that this old thread got brought back up recently. Taking the new Legacy out on the highway to stretch its legs a bit, I noticed it was a bit...different. Really thinking about throwing on a 19/20mm bar now to tighten it up.

So I've pretty well decided I will order the 20mm rear sway bar, part number 20451VA000 2016 STI from Subaru Parts Depot. Can someone tell me if I need to order any additional parts (bolts, bushings, etc.)?

You use the factory bolts and bushings...all you need is the bar. If I remember correctly, it does come with bushings but not bolts.

So you're saying that all I need to get is the 20 mm rear sway bar and I can use stock bushings? So the 20mm rear sway bar w/ the bushings bundle is not necessary and I can order JUST the rear sway bar and save like $20?

For $20.00 get the bushings.

The darn thing is $89.95 for the kit sway bar with 2 bushings and purchase something for $10.00 more get free shipping.

BTW they are all the same. This is the exact one I installed on my Legacy.

Edited by Yoda_One
Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

So you're saying that all I need to get is the 20 mm rear sway bar and I can use stock bushings? So the 20mm rear sway bar w/ the bushings bundle is not necessary and I can order JUST the rear sway bar and save like $20?

You need to get the bushes for the diameter bar you're using. Stock is 16mm which will have a smaller hole than 20mm. You won't be able to re-use your stock bushings

I am positive that when my new bar came there were new bushings in the box. I did not order them separate or pay anything additional for them. tigger - the stock bushings do fit the 19-20m bars.

I just clicked the link that Row provided and you do get the bushings for the $89.95...that's what I thought and how mine came.

Edited by securityguy

For $20.00 get the bushings.

The darn thing is $89.95 for the kit sway bar with 2 bushings and purchase something for $10.00 more get free shipping.

BTW they are all the same. This is the exact one I installed on my Legacy.

Done. Sway bar kit and air cleaner, free shipping! $106.41. [emoji41]

... the stock bushings do fit the 19-20m bars.

The rubber bushings for 16, 19, and 20mm bars are not the same (different inside diameters), but the metal mounting brackets are the same for all three (i.e. the bushings have the same outside dimensions).

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Just ordered the 20mm bar. btw..what's the torque specs for the various bolts?

Don't have ramps. Plan on jacking slightly with hand jack. Any other easier ideas?

Found the .jpg on torque specs on earlier pages. Looks like ramps are the best option since it has to be loaded. Guess i'll have to borrow some.

Edited by DA_MAXX

Just ordered the 20mm bar. btw..what's the torque specs for the various bolts?

Don't have ramps. Plan on jacking slightly with hand jack. Any other easier ideas?

Found the .jpg on torque specs on earlier pages. Looks like ramps are the best option since it has to be loaded. Guess i'll have to borrow some.

I did mine while lifted. After a short drive everything settled and haven't had an issue.

If you want to do it while loaded find a curb to back up onto. Preferably in an empty parking lot so you're not blocking a road:lol:

Or find a friend with some ramps or get some scrap wood and make your own ramps.

I just slid my ass under the vehicle, no ramps no lifting.

You are correct the specs are on post #326 in this thread.

Edited by Yoda_One
Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆