LegacyGT.com

Kyb vs oem strut mounts

So basically the title. Would I have any problems with pub strut mounts over the oem. I work at autozone and I can get kyb for $30 each while oem online is more than double that. Also lifetime warranty.

I got the mounts off the shelf just to see the quality. I couldn’t see any brand stamped on the bearing itself. Also the box says made in China.

What do you guys think?

07 OBXT

Fwiw I ended up installing oem strutmounts after trying 3 different, brand new KYB sets and all of them having an audible suspension clunk after being installed properly on new KYB GR2 struts. The oem for MY2007 felt the same on the bench but when installed the clunk was not there.

The KYB rear shock mounts worked fine though.

07 OBXT

Fwiw I ended up installing oem strutmounts after trying 3 different, brand new KYB sets and all of them having an audible suspension clunk after being installed properly on new KYB GR2 struts. The oem for MY2007 felt the same on the bench but when installed the clunk was not there.

The KYB rear shock mounts worked fine though.

When did it clunk? Randomly while driving? Or over bumps?

Anything else done with your suspension?

It would clink and clunk over uneven surfaces and some bumps.

KYB 5806 was one of the sets tried. The other sets were for MY00-04 Outback, MY05-06 Outback XT, and MY07 specific Outback XT (I think that's the 5806 iirc).

All of these were assembled with new KYB GR2 struts for MY07OBXT and new Rallitek overload stock height springs. Only the OEM didn't clunk.

Though the KYB rear shock mounts have been working great.

It would clink and clunk over uneven surfaces and some bumps.

KYB 5806 was one of the sets tried. The other sets were for MY00-04 Outback, MY05-06 Outback XT, and MY07 specific Outback XT (I think that's the 5806 iirc).

All of these were assembled with new KYB GR2 struts for MY07OBXT and new Rallitek overload stock height springs. Only the OEM didn't clunk.

Though the KYB rear shock mounts have been working great.

Thanks my 07 legacy gt uses not the 5806 I had to look up the 08 model to get the non spec b versions to show up. I’ll probably try them out at first when I install my Koni yellows. If they clunk I’ll just defective return them and switch back to oem for the fronts when I do my sti pinks.

I needed the specB strut mounts.. and if I'm not mistaken the OEMs were over $100 each last time I checked.

Either way I'm having the kyb#sm5806 mounts installed with new Bilstein b6 assemblies tomorrow so we'll see how they work out

The group n should fit fine. I'm pretty sure the oe wrx are different than the group n anyway but the group n mounts are different part numbers for each point. I could be wrong, rally sport direct claims they'll fit am 08 legacy but that's not necessarily the best way to determine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The spec B or the GroupN mounts will be a better choice. You will need to add in a SS Washer from Lowes or Home Depot under the conical washer in order for the Spec B tops or the Group N tops to work. Even though the Group N are pricey, they are worth it.

-mike

From another thread asking about top hats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

I got 3/4 of my Konis in. Ran out of time before I had to get to work.

At first I thought I was having the same clunk from my kyb strut mounts as everyone was talking bout. Pulled over and my strut mount bolt was really loose. Tightened it up and it’s all gone.

Can’t really say how it feels right now. Have them set to full soft until I finish the last one tomorrow morning. Then plan on trying 1.5 from soft up front and 1 from soft in the rear as I’ve seen quite a few people suggested that one here.

Forgot to check back in. Everything is on and I have no rattling whatsoever.

The Konis are really nice even at 1.5up front and 1 in the rear it isn’t too bad to daily. Yes it is bumpier but not bad. Feels a lot sportier.

Might pair these up with Jdm pinks in the summer. But then again I might not.