LegacyGT.com

Outback XT Summer wheels

So I've run out of stuff to look up while doing my rebuild, so I started thinking about wheels. I'd like to have two sets since I ski and we get a decent amount of snow. The stock wheels have... something wrong with them. I think it's just aesthetic but I plan to use those as winter wheels and get some summer wheels and tires. Stock ride height, upgrading to LGT brakes, no track use, light offroad like desert roads and some rocks and bumps, and spirited canyon drives.

My questions though come to off set and things like that. The stock is 17x7 +48. Afaik that's only to match them to the extended flares on the outback. I have a set of michelin defenders 225/55/17 (stock size) that I'd like the wear through before buying new tires. So if I buy wheels that are a 17x7.5 is that an issue? If wheel width increases should I decrease my offset? I can find tons of info for the lgt but less for the obxt.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/faq-offsets-sizes-rims-and-tires-gt-xenonk-version-vol-262472.html

Check out this thread. For the sizes you’re talking about I’d use the LGT quide. If you we really trying to squeeze something on there might be some differences but anything 17x7 or 17x8 should fit pretty easily with a reasonable offset.

So I had looked through that and it suggests a +55 offset for both 7 and 7.5 which is the stock sizing for the lgt, which also uses a lower profile tire. I thought, extrapolating from this, I should stick with the stock +48 of the obxt.

My hope is to buy some used rims during a December road trip through something like 15 states. Seemed like a good time. So I don't know exactly what width i might end up with. Mostly trying to understand if going with something would be bad. I'm guessing if I go up to 7.5 but use the 55 offset of an lgt I'd end up at the same line up of the outside of the wheel and the fender?

Also wanted to make sure that the only real concern with all this is not hitting the fender or hitting the suspension. If that's the only concern then it makes everything easier. Although I'd like them to not be wider than the rally armor mud flaps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stock Subaru BRZ has various sizes. 17x7 17x7.5 and 18 inch wheels. Also have offset 48. Seems good for you. The best looking is the 17x7.5 performance package wheels which typically goes for $440-500 a set. No tires.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Running these Enkei's in a 18x8 ET 45 with 235/40/18 Continental DW's on stock struts and stock height Rallitek springs with no problems if that helps at all. Run 17x7 Forester rims with Blizzaks in the winter. This shot was before the spring install on stock springs with 3/8" Paranoid Fabrication spacers. Fitment is still fine now that I'm back to stock height. Will say its a bit tight at the leading and trailing ends of wheel wells, bout 3/4" but no issues at all with rubbing and none with wheels cranked all the way left/right. Also running GT calipers in the front. If these fit, I gotta think that 7.5's would be fine unless you way way wacky with offset...

DSC06241.thumb.jpg.81695d97b71b90865393fe4bb14df40a.jpg

Edited by shralp

Oh that does help a lot. Think I'll try to stick around stock offset then. I'd imagine that lgt calipers would be fine unless you brought the offset in a lot since they fit under the stock 17s.

I like the brz wheels quite a bit. Good to know that's an option. I generally prefer the looks of oe wheels so it's too bad the forester and and brz sti wheels go for so much. And the others seem to be quite heavy.

Stock height.

I've been fighting the option to stuff 245/45/18 under the car. Looks like my options are 18x8.5 +44 or +45. I need to poke it out a little according to willtheyfit.com. Trying to not have inner wheel well scrub.

Rota Gravel hyper black have been my preference lately over the Enkei Raijin as a next favorite.

Have you looked at tirerack.com to see what's out there. They have lots of info on the site.

Check out the off season pricing. I buy my snow tires in July and summer tires in Feb.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

All too often I stage a cart at tire rack and walk away from it. Around these parts (sea level) I don't need a winter set.

Issue is their limited offset sizes and they keep pushing a 235/45 for a "set". Limited in the wheels I'd prefer... For sure there is a ton of options there.

Looking to have minimal speedo change during the change.

Seems the Rijin would not work for me but there are plenty of other Enkei...Wheeldude looks to have the Rota's I want and they are local so I can probably meetup and kill off the shipping charges.

Have you looked at tirerack.com to see what's out there. They have lots of info on the site.

Check out the off season pricing. I buy my snow tires in July and summer tires in Feb.

Unfortunately I won't be able to play off the sales like that this year as I'll need snow tires by January although I don't need summer wheels in any time frame.

I have looked a bunch there though. It seems like there are many more options in the stock 225/55/17 than any other size. I've also looked at having 18" summer wheels but don't know I want to give up sidewall depth when I'm out in the desert. I'll already be giving up some compliance when I add a bigger rear sway. I figure the 95% on road driving is worth the trade off.

A lot of this was I guess mostly trying to figure out if there were anythings I was missing or why the lgt and obxt have different offsets. But it looks like stock offset +/- 10(ish) with 7-8" wheels is gonna be the answer for me.

I think I might try to get some of the brz wheels from the performance package. 17x7.5 +48. I'd like to keep the sidewall height for when I'm in the desert but seeing as how shralp is running the 235/50/18 without issue, I'll just have to see what I come across when the time comes.