LegacyGT.com

Amsoil XL motor oil?...

I use it in the 2018 Outback 3.6R

My turbo cars use Amsoil 5w-40 European Classic doing 7-8000 OCI, after hearing back from Blackstone Labs. I was told to leave the oil in at 7000 miles till 9000 miles and send in another sample.

Been doing that since 2012. I use their EA15K 13 filters too.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I've never been partial to any particular oil on our cars. I'm of the opinion that using just about any synthetic 5W-30 or 5W-40 should be pretty fine and dandy for our cars. My oil changes are typically done with Valvoline 5W-30 and I haven't run into any issues apart from when my old engine burnt through oil like crazy - then I opted to top off with Rotella 5W-40 to slow down the burn a smidge.

Also, I wouldn't do anything above a 10K mile oil change ever, even if the car is exclusively driven on the freeway and taken care of a lot. Why risk the longevity of the motor over 50 bucks a year of oil changes?

Edited by Pleides

There is also the signature series. Can't recall off hand how long I had run it for before changing but it was definitely not at the suggested millage it was at the time frame, a bit past actually. So far have I only run it once. I took a sample but haven't got it tested yet. Not sure it there is much point due to the cost vs just changing the oil, more curious what the condition of it is compared the when it was new.

I would say it's definitely not worry it unless you put a lot of millage on your car.

Though I have wondered if changing "cheaper" (say just regular amsoil) more often is just as good as the "best" changing less frequently.

Edited by nevets27

HAMMERDOWN used to use the signature series doing 17,000 mile OCI, but he also had two oil filters, mounted remotely.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

This is the new stuff which is just a name change from what I can tell. As a preferred member its $7.09 a qt, plus shipping etc.

https://www.google.com/search?q=SAE+5W-40+FS+Synthetic+European+Motor+Oil&rlz=1C1OKWM_enUS906US906&oq=SAE+5W-40+FS+Synthetic+European+Motor+Oil&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i60&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Here's from their site,

Excellent For Turbochargers

AMSOIL European Motor Oil has a robust composition that shields engines from the high temperatures produced by turbochargers. Its thermally stable oil formulation resists deposit formation and cools turbochargers. Its low pour point protects turbochargers against oil starvation in subzero temperatures and ensures a rapid return to appropriate oil pressure at startup.