LegacyGT.com

Low Compression! Is my car gone?

After work I went out to start my 5mt 05 LGT sedan, right after it fired up for around 1-2 seconds it died on me and would not start. Video below v

I had it towed to my mechanic, who ran a compression test on it and found low compression in one bank and no compression in the other. The shop is putting on a new timing belt just to see if that will get the car to start. Should I start looking for a new car? Or would it be worth it to try and rebuild the engine, if it's at that point of course. The mechanic told me something on my timing mechanism was siezed, I'm not very versed in cars yet being only 17 :lol: The engine had 120k miles on it when this happened.

It sure doesn't sound like it firing. No compression is likely burnt valve, bent valve (skipped timing) or hole in the piston. The motor needs to come out to fix it. With it being an 05 GT sedan, the cost of paying mechanic labor for those repairs is going to likely exceed the vehicle value. It is best suited for someone who is mechanically inclined to fix it assuming the rest of the mechanicals, body, and cosmetics are in good shape. Otherwise its just a parts car.

If the engine is toast, I'd buy something else at 17, something that is less of a money pit.

Good news guys! My idler had seized and it caused my timing belt to jump a few teeth, I also had a tuning issue with one of my sensors making the car run rough, the valves are okay!

how can you do a compression test if "the timing belt mechanism is seized". I would be looking for a different mechanic...

Did the tensioner go bad causing the belt to skip on one head a few teeth?

I second that! Would be pretty hard to get accurate compression numbers when the timing is off or non existent. I would check timing belt etc. then try again for compression. This mechanic did everything backwards!

I would also do my homework on everything else, you pretty much did this to urself, at 120k the timing belt is already like thousands of miles past its replacement date! Those parts should have been changed like 20k miles ago.... Sell the car if you aren't going to do proper maintenance! Things will only get worse for you imo! This car is a needy b****, if you don't do proper maintenance you will be in for a world of hurt financially wise.

Edited by Tehnation

Yeah I almost said this yesterday, but I figured it was obvious.. I hope the belt and all the other timing components were replaced, all the idlers and the tensioner too. You might be able to reuse the original tensioner, but after 16 years I don't think it'd hurt to replace it.

The Aisin kit is still the go to kit.

OP, you'll want to spend time on this site and learn all you can.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here