LegacyGT.com

Rear Lift Gate Seal

I went to order a new liftgate seal for my 07 Legacy GT wagon. It turns out they’re discontinued for some reason? They have them for 1990s Legacy’s but not an 07? Is there an alternative out there?

Part number is 63516AG00A

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ugh, it is NLA. Sucks.

I may measure the Tribeca opening and see if that part would fit the wagon. Hopefully it is flexible enough to bend as needed and then it can be cut to length.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

That's not good, partsouq doesn't even list it...

Strange isn't it? They make them for older versions and newer but not the 4th Gen?

I am wanting to replace the seal due to some exhaust smell in the cabin. Nothing major unless I am really getting on in, more at startup than anything. I have a catted DP and cat from mid back. All gaskets are stainless Grimmspeed from manifold back.

Frankly I am stumped as to why I smell anything. I am starting to think there is a leak someplace when the exhaust system is cold. If the fresh air vent is open instead of re-circulating I smell it. All gaskets are stainless Grimmspeed from manifold back. I just need to get a smoke test done when its cold.

Strange isn't it? They make them for older versions and newer but not the 4th Gen?

I am wanting to replace the seal due to some exhaust smell in the cabin. Nothing major unless I am really getting on in, more at startup than anything. I have a catted DP and cat from mid back. All gaskets are stainless Grimmspeed from manifold back.

Frankly I am stumped as to why I smell anything. I am starting to think there is a leak someplace when the exhaust system is cold. If the fresh air vent is open instead of re-circulating I smell it. All gaskets are stainless Grimmspeed from manifold back. I just need to get a smoke test done when its cold.

There are vents to the cabin behind the rear bumper under the quarterpanel. They have rubber flaps that cover the opening. I'm curious if there is a pressure differential that causes the flaps to open and then exhaust moves in, especially if the tips don't protrude past a bumper.

This is just a theory with absolutely no evidence to suggest that it's true; it's just a thought.

There are vents to the cabin behind the rear bumper under the quarterpanel. They have rubber flaps that cover the opening. I'm curious if there is a pressure differential that causes the flaps to open and then exhaust moves in, especially if the tips don't protrude past a bumper.

This is just a theory with absolutely no evidence to suggest that it's true; it's just a thought.

That's exactly what it is. I pop the rear windows when it is warm to get rid of smell. Paul (GTTuner) closed those flaps on his red GT sedan in is time.

I will check it out tonight. I thought I sealed those up when I did dynamat. But I have been wrong before.

The exhaust is an SPT so the tips do not extend past the bumper. I am sure that does not help. Relocating the SPT so the tips pass the bumper I was quoted $300. A Invidia Q300 system is $800. I think checking the vents you are talking about is a great starting point.

Vent image for future reference...

560655795_ScreenShot2022-01-12at4_42_07PM.png.8fae30ab3530813a7200b82ee800cc28.png

Edited by VespaGTS
typo

These same vents are a great way for rodents to make it in the cabin if your car is parked outside for prolonged periods of time. Don't leave any food in the car....

Just an FYI, the tips won't go past the bumper with the Q300 either. However, you can get some slip on tips for relatively cheap to fix it. That's what I did with mine and they've worked great. Post #10 shows how I've got them.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/doctors-05-white-wagon-281690.html

The rear gate seal being discontinued is stupid too knowing how many 05-09 outbacks are out there. Every time I go to the junkyard I check for any decent ones. I've found 2 in total, one to replace the original and a spare for future.

Those vents are there to prevent your windows from blowing out of the car when you shut you hatch or doors. They are necessary to release positive pressure from the cabin.

In case you were wondering

And to allow fresh air to circulate through the cabin (so it has somewhere to escape) with windows closed.

So don’t close them or run with windows cracked open forever. Ugh…

Exhaust tips are the next option and then the wrecking yard for some bits and pieces.

Amazon or ebay have new ones, no need for junk yards. I used some for the Q300 from Amazon, roughly $20 per side.

On Tribeca mice made it in the cabin when the Tribeca was parked outside for 2 weeks when we were overseas. Main suspect entry point were the vents. I had the bumper skin off and installed fine metal mesh over the vents to never have to deal with mice infestation again.