LegacyGT.com

2001 Legacy Wagon A tricky one for you.

I know shes an old car but we take really good care of her!!!

2001 Subaru Legacy Wagon - Manual 198,000

A few months ago my engine would shake a little when I was idling...

Also I noticed I need about 2.5 RPS to shift smoothly... Usually you can at 1.5...

I cranked the AC one day and the idling got stronger and gave me a C2 misfire...

Got a few more C2 C3 misfires before I could do any work.

Plugs were cracked. Replaced all plugs and fuel and air filters.

Not shaking under idle as much... Went up some hills (incline and throttle) and had several misfires causing me to down shift in times I shouldn't have to just to get up the hill. Still C2 C3 misfires... Feels like I can stall.

Replaced plugs again, new ignition coil, (wires are 2 years old)

Seals seem ok, no oil on plugs.

No Change

Swapped 2/4 fuel injectors to see if misfire followed. It did NOT.

Brought my car to Subaru yesterday. They basically told me everything we just did. I don't believe the parts I've bought are faulty... I'd be willing to get wires next.

Compression test for C3 went well. I am having them finish it four all Cylinders tomorrow. He did switch the wires for 1/3 causing C1 C2 to misfire but when it all went back to the original coil and wire it is still C2 C3 misfires. I am considering wires next financially.

I am paying about $100 an hour for diagnostics...

Tomorrow he will check the belt and do the remaining compression test.

I am thinking about having the check the valves but that will be several hours he says....

Thoughts???

Ideas???

Help me keep Renae alive!!

When my timing belt was jumped three teeth I would sometimes get C2 and C3 misfire with no pattern. Mostly I got no codes. That was on a Gen II with an EJ22 SOHC, but I think spending 40 seconds pulling the timing covers and looking at the marks would be the best bet. Maybe I'm being mean. It could take as long as two minutes if your tech doesn't know what he's looking for.

I think timing is right at the top of the list of things to check in the official Subaru Factory Service Manual as well so I hope the dealer gets around to it within the first 10 hours.

You said plugs twice, you said coil, how's about wires? I got the blue ngk lifetime warranty ones

If not wires, then I'd think about a vacuum leak.

Then if it's not that, then I would think timing. Btw, pretty sure that is the best time to do a head gasket replace, even if it looks ok, save the old one or sell it.