LegacyGT.com

Looking at a 2005 legacy gt wagon.

Ask, why the new turbo ?

Did they make sure there was no metal from the oil turbo in the oil system ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Depends what 'newer' means. I'd probably be less hesitant if it was 30k ago versus 1k ago. Either way, if you're unfamiliar with these cars, try to have someone along who is or have it checked out by a Subaru dealer. This is a really good way to find yourself $10k in the hole without expecting to, if you're not careful. Unless you were thinking along the lines of what dgoodhue said, and planning on a motor.

I have to agree with every one on here. I bought an 06 LGT Limited that was bone stock from a lady. Motors was never touched. They told me it was making noise, but the body was in good condition and inside was mint for having kids.

I picked up the car and it was making some type of marbles in a metal can sound and smoking white :lol:. I got it for 2300 and drove it around and on the trailer and it has no check engine lights :lol:. I have a gang of parts and will be getting the motor dropped in.

Buy the car with a plan to get a motor. I have been going through max Caps build and am leaning on going that way.

You don't have to drop 6K on a new motor, you can do it for much less. I know a shop I am headed to for my motor will not even come close to 6k ever. 6k I like a full build at there place and they do great work. if you get that car and it's bone stock/women driven with no mods and it was taken care of then you can wrench on little parts as you go. 6k is over kill :eek:.

After I get my motor installed, all parts added and dyno tune I am looking at 5k, and I am not here for a 500 HP build, I would love 300 WHP or a tad more and I am happy. I have come from the hi HP cars and V8s. they were fun.

Let’s not set false expectations for a potential new owner. It is pretty easy to spend 3500-4000 in parts and machine work in building a replacement motor. It seems like it would be reasonable to see that total hit 6k with labor. (I do all my own work so I am not up on labor prices.) Many owners have paid more than $6k for a shop to put in a stock replacement motor as well. Edited by dgoodhue