LegacyGT.com

Notchy shifting with 5mt

Imprezzive2.5

Hi all- I've been having issues with transmission notchiness recently while driving. During my ownership the transmission has always been notchy to a degree, but within the past week it's locked me out of 4th and reverse (no grinding- straight lockout). Seems like it's mostly an issue while the car is on, if the car has been off for a while I can move between gears easily a few times before it begins to notch.

I'm thinking it might be related to the clutch system, but the fact that it does notch a bit even when off is concerning. I've been looking for leaks in the clutch lines but haven't found anything, both master and slave cylinders seem clean. Master cylinder clutch fluid is full.

Transmission has 160k on it. Fluid last changed 6k ago with generic 75w90 fluid, will probably replace with Extra-S/equivalent soon.

Anyone have any thoughts?

I really like Red Line 75w-90NS for smooth shifting. It's expensive, but I feel more comfortable running it longer than cheap stuff, so that sort of makes up for the price.

Motul gear 300 is the best stuff you can put in the 5mt. Trust me on that one. I like it better then the old Extra-S

The other great thing for these things are the Moore Performance Blast Plates. So glad I did that, the tranny no longer fights me going into 3rd gear...ever.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived