LegacyGT.com

Trans issue ? Vibration felt in seats

hey guys, I'm new to this forum. I'm looking for a little advice.

so I picked up a 05 LGT 5MT with 125,xxx miles recently for a commuter car. it needed a little tlc. I replaced the front axles, LCA, lower ball joints, front rotors and tie rod ends. everything went pretty smooth considering. so the issue started with vibration in the steering that I attributed to bad front axles- completely no grease left and no boots so they were changed.

ok so I changed everything out. My issue now is that Theres a crazy strong vibration but not coming front the steering wheel or front end. when driving at any speed I can put in neutral and its smooth as butter. when I get ont he gas at any speed/rpm its shakes. when letting the clutch out the whole car ( body) shakes especially in 1st/2nd.

I threw it up on 4 jack stands and put the car in gear thinking I can see where its coming from. the trans itself is shaking. now this happens in any gear, not rpm dependent and when in neutral it I still felt but less. I checked all moutns, engine and trans and none of them have any rips and are still good.

my concern is did I mess something royally up inside the trans when doing the axles?

So I threw the car up on 4 Jack stands yestersay to have a look. When the car is idling in 1st or second, all the wheels rotate except front driver. I can hold,the wheel with my hand and the resistance is enough to stop the wheel completely while all,others turn dependant on rpm.. I don't know that much about awd and trans but I'm assuming that's bad ?

Grab the propeller shaft, both side of the carrier bearing the see how much movement each shaft has.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/propeller-shaft-my-story-246593.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

So I threw the car up on 4 Jack stands yestersay to have a look. When the car is idling in 1st or second, all the wheels rotate except front driver. I can hold,the wheel with my hand and the resistance is enough to stop the wheel completely while all,others turn dependant on rpm.. I don't know that much about awd and trans but I'm assuming that's bad ?

You mean in gear its not turning?

I bought an auto be more involved in my uninvolvedness . 200k+ Club

If you can't blind them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

My high mileage turd.

MAX- that bearins has a decent amount of movement but the rubber isnt torn and seems to be in one pice still

Battle- yea the car is in gear, clutch out and i can hodl the front drivers wheel with my hand and all the others wheels turn with rpm speed. i dont know much about these trans but is that a normal thing,,, is that the limited slip working?

so today I got back underneath and pulled the drive shaft. how much play si the output shaft suppose to have. ill post a video of mine but I think this may be wayt o much.

heres the link -

is that to much play?

If it moves easily by hand, that's to much.

My new has a small amount, but much less than the old one.

As I said, if you put your elbow on the center consul you can feel vibration. That's the carrier bearing going bad.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

that's the link to the video I uploaded yesterday.. it works for me but let me know if it doesn't load up for you ... its a short one of the play in the output shaft.

after work today I'm going to be changing the plugs and completely removing the drive shaft to look at the carrier bearing

MAX, yea the vibrations aren't in the pedals, steering wheel or felt when on the brakes. it feels like it radiates up from the body through the seats. can be felt on the arm rest, shifter.

battle- so to start off I haven't had a car where the drive shaft was like this. when I had my 300zx TT it was a one piece. same with my G35. even my trucks, jeep, dodge.

inspecting the carrier bearing... so I was looking at it, I grabbed the drive shaft on the rear side of that bearing, when I was moving it, I was able to ( bottom it out) pushing up and down able to make a thud sound. please forgive if I sound stupid but I haven't had a car with this type of support bearing before. is that to much play or is that just rubber stopping the movement.

Archived