LegacyGT.com

Short Ram intake for 05 LGT?

I have the SPT intake. Honestly all you get with it is a bunch of noise. It does not need a tune so it flows pretty much the same as the stock airbox. It is nice though as it cleans up the engine. If i were you, I would just have a shop bend up some piping for you and then you can use your own filter.

IMO the best one is the one that came on the car. Most here will agree.

If your building a monster motor then may be you can do better, but most just keep it stock. The HP gain (bang per buck) is not that much.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Intakes won't do anything other than make noise on these cars.

That being said I'll be running a K&N. Why? because I want to make pssh noises and I'm not crazy about the blitz induction cover the previous owner put in it.

You will need a tune with any intake on the market that isn't OEM. Yes even the SPT.

i run the SPT intake. I wasn't the little added bonus of the sounds. Im sure it does something for the car, but not much i can certainly say that. maybe when i go stage 2 it will make more of a difference

2006 Legacy GT 5EAT Perrin UP, SPT CAI, OBXR CBE, Catless DP, Perrin TMIC, Stage 2 AP tune

Soon after BNR 16G, Infamous Tune

i run the SPT intake. I wasn't the little added bonus of the sounds. Im sure it does something for the car, but not much i can certainly say that. maybe when i go stage 2 it will make more of a difference

FWIW the inner diameter of the spt intake is actually smaller than oem. Cobb did a test and tune pre/post spt install. Look at the flex airbox tube then look at the spt intake size....get it? Also the fact that the maf sensor is placed directly in the middle of 2 45* bends is less than optimal.

Any aftermarket intake is not needed until you get a larger turbo (stage 3+), sometimes....not always...depends how big the turbo is.

topspeed tuning tested a newer (08+) sti with a 20g and oem airbox setup..... IAT's were low, and g/s did not suffer, 400whp+ made. (ref: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=34564031&postcount=11)

My local tuner also tuned a 20g LGT with aem intake, once tuned, threw oem airbox back in, no g/s lost and iat's were lower. oem box and intake duct = FTW.

Any links for the SPT intake I really like the look of CAI over stock. What's the cost for the SPT?

On a side note, just ordered a Cusco front strut bar . A couple a friends said I should focus on handling first then work from there. Links would be helpful thanks.

• 9 years later...
Hate to say it but you need to get some advice from new friends :(. The two mods your doing here will do nothing to improve your cars handling or power. Stock intake is the best choice hands down until your making big power and a front strut back is virtually useless on our cars as the shock towers are so close to the firewall (which is stiffer than hell) that it doesn’t need additional bracing.

Intakes won't do anything other than make noise on these cars.

That being said I'll be running a K&N. Why? because I want to make pssh noises and I'm not crazy about the blitz induction cover the previous owner put in it.

You will need a tune with any intake on the market that isn't OEM. Yes even the SPT.

Is there any other reason lol, I'm sorry but turbo cars that don't go pssh are just missing something

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Joe, just remove the silencer under the air filter box and get a K&N filter, and lightly oil it. Back in Aug 2004 my son removed that silencer from my wagon and we installed a Perrin panel filter. Did not need any change to the tune.

I get nice turbo sounds from the car.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I run the stock intake, also with the silencer removed. You don't really get intake sounds unless you roll the windows down, which I like for when I joyride my car on a summer day. Don't have to deal with the noise when I just am strutting around in traffic.

i have a cobb intake but before that i had a grimm speed intake and for some reason my car wasn't running right (at the time i didn't know alot about tuning and how it works and that is where my problem was)but i called cobb because i have an access port and they told me that i had to have a cobb intake to do there stage 1 tune for 93 octane so make a long storie short they got me for 300.00 bucks because there really isn't any difference between a cobb and a grimm speed intake so i don't think there is much difference betwseen all of them if i am wrong please let me know

I saw bmx had posted and was like wtf lol. This is an old thread.

I have the grimmspeed intake, its a complete pita when your troubleshooting because the filter goes behind the fender and you have to remove the fender liner, which requires removing a wheel, to get to it. But it does put it in a nice spot, especially if you want to pull out the fog light and put in an air duct.

Speaking of fog lights.... how do you turn them on? I don't think I have ever used them since owning the car lol.

Fog lights are turned on via an extra dial placed on the headlight stalk. They sit on the right-hand side of the stalk on LHD cars like our USA cars. They’re either on or off. Mine require the headlights being on to come on.

I took off my SPT and tossed it in the trash. Not dissing anyone, I just didn’t want to sell that thing to anyone. It’s cast metal and IAT was up running it, plus MAF issues. Went back to stock with a AEM panel filter and removed the resonator box. Sounds good and performs well. Some mods are not worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk