LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 5th gen today?? -V4

welp...front end friday on a monday? got the new headlights, fog lights and front lip in the other day so decided to go ahead and install everything while i've got the day off and a nice sunny day. i'm floored with the difference. and yes, i know my paint is absolute crap...that's a project for another time...

I had always assumed you had a SWP GT since I see white Acura in your profile.

as much as i love a good white car, nope, good old ruby red. i *do* have a white acura, but it's not the one in my avatar, that was some random car i saw years ago and where i got my username...

Getting frustrated can’t remove the rear driver side bearing hub from the axle try banging it then slide hammer. I took the whole entire assembly with the axle out. Manage to break the ABS sensor. Our shop 20 ton press, could not separate the axle with the bearing hub.My guys took it to another shop with a 50 ton press. Finally separates with allot of heating. Gave up with the rear passenger side.

Monday need to order a ABS sensor from Subaru.

Edited by amusa

• 2 weeks later...

Havent posted for a while.

My tein suspension is stuck in the branch office for 1.5 years and i cant get it in my hands yet, so i have purchased STI springs for my stock yellow bilsteins and installed yesterday:

pXLezoD_kkIeiN2fhVSzPL5I1Jg-960.jpg

gHi2-1oG2rrQMLA47828bzGJnO0-960.jpg

^How are those springs compared to the springs that come with the Bilsteins?

A little stiffer, asphalt fractures became more noticeable and feels like a little sharper in corners.

But I would not notice if springs replaced without a notice. :lol:

A little stiffer, asphalt fractures became more noticeable and feels like a little sharper in corners.

But I would not notice if springs replaced without a notice. :lol:

Lol!

And I already feel the stock Bilstein suspension is too stiff on potholed roads.

Very nice and predictable at speed though, I'll give it that.

Lol!

And I already feel the stock Bilstein suspension is too stiff on potholed roads.

Very nice and predictable at speed though, I'll give it that.

White STI Logo on pink background - what else can be better for a subaru?

Cleaned my air box and filter out today. Went ahead and threw a task lamp “velocity cone” on it just to see if it helps with intake temps. Exterior diameter of the hole in the bottom of the air box is 3” if that helps anyone.

Yea this is temporary. Just trying it out

673d6cdeeead7606827206fa0a64a264.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cleaned my air box and filter out today. Went ahead and threw a task lamp “velocity cone” on it just to see if it helps with intake temps.

I imagine this would go further if you remove your fog light.

Personally I have removed mine, as I just have a pod filter in the guard without any box.

I imagine this would go further if you remove your fog light.

Personally I have removed mine, as I just have a pod filter in the guard without any box.

As of now I really like my fog lights for visibility and I’ll be using this space later for piping of some sort rather than the filter. May have to ditch them eventually.

Unfortunately or fortunately: there is still a lot of airflow from the wheel well. I ran a different set up and cut a nice groove in the fender liner. I drove a small bit with it today and didn’t notice anything so I’m going to leave it until my next time I pull everything back apart.

• 2 weeks later...

Treated myself to some tools :) wheel hubs and ball joints on deck for this weekend. Decided to just but they whole knuckle to avoid some pain lol wish I would have bought the steering rack arms while I was at it. Oh well. 3b922658ee9e80069d3c78f252e7b24a.jpg59cb9a7bc36e64752be4906f6be5418e.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Here's what I DIDN'T do for my 5th gen today. I didn't order a Q300 exhaust because they aren't available right now. :spin:

Found an online shop called Boxer4Racing that has a really good price. I sent them a message and the owner Dale got back to me right away and said he'll let me know when Invidia has them back in stock (practically all resellers dropship).

For now, I'll have to patch my exhaust with a soda can and aluminum tape. It developed a hole the other day right where the rear mid-pipe hanger is. The hanger completely detached. It looks to be some Walker garbage with accordion bends that the previous owner put on. So a 10 year old car needs its 3rd exhaust already. #RustBeltLife

I didn't order a Q300 exhaust because they aren't available right now. :spin:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I don't think they are coming back. Much of the 5th Gen GT parts once they run out, the manufacturers never make another batch. The production is so low that many manufacturers have been sitting on the inventory for 8-10 years.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I don't think they are coming back. Much of the 5th Gen GT parts once they run out, the manufacturers never make another batch. The production is so low that many manufacturers have been sitting on the inventory for 8-10 years.

Maybe, maybe not. I know a little bit on how exhaust companies like Invidia operate and they can make any part at any time. They don't just do giant batch runs because that leads to parts collecting dust and taking up warehouse space. They do made-to-order kits for a lot of vehicles.

I think the lack of availability has more to do with a combination of California's heavy handed response to covid effecting how companies can operate and the current stainless steel shortage...

https://www.hellenicshippingnews.com/us-stainless-steel-shortages-expected-to-continue/

Maybe, maybe not. I know a little bit on how exhaust companies like Invidia operate and they can make any part at any time. They don't just do giant batch runs because that leads to parts collecting dust and taking up warehouse space. They do made-to-order kits for a lot of vehicles.

I think the lack of availability has more to do with a combination of California's heavy handed response to covid effecting how companies can operate and the current stainless steel shortage...

https://www.hellenicshippingnews.com/us-stainless-steel-shortages-expected-to-continue/

What state are you in? You can probably buy the system (used even) for another vehicle with dual cans and have it modified for your car by a good welder at a shop. May not be perfect but it will likely be cheaper and faster

So I finally got the knuckle separated from everything but done goofed up and put a 1/4 inch slice in the tie rod boot with my pry bar. Do I go ahead and buy a seal kit this evening and finish up or order new rods? Any suggestions on the latter for brand and where to source from quickly? Wife is off for the summer so I can let it sit in the garage for the week if needed. EDIT: advanced auto has 2 moog outer tie rods in stock. Going that route. Not bother with inner.. they seem to be solid yet.

Edit2: well.. when I removed the knuckles from the axel spindles I had a fun experience of the right one moving laterally about 6 inches and the left one not moving really at all... i guess this explains the clunking noise on the ride side when turning sharply. Ugh. Looks like I'm essentially redoing the entire wheel wells now lol

65da476ee0d4abf363256ab0de988bfc.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Edited by Loya1ty

The saga continues.. I was able to get the new axles installed pretty easily. Turns out the knuckles I ordered back in February for this job were both right, passenger side parts -_- Check your boxes folks!!!! lol can't return them, so if anyone needs/wants a right one, lemme know. Also, The CV axles look pretty decent after I removed them.. no boot tears or anything. they have 175k miles, but might work as a quick fix/repair if anyone thinks they are worth not taking to the salvage yard.

left knuckle on order and will be here Wed. Will update again when this fiasco is over haha I've got the whole right side assembled though! Only took about 45 min :)

edit: forgot to mention... If you're in the rust belt just order the knuckle :) You won't need to worry about pulling the ball joint or the pinch bolt snapping (which for fun I tried removing and it snapped). I also was unable to separate the unscrewed wheel hub from the knuckle to retrieve the dust shield sandwiched in between. Rusted together. PB, heat, sledgehammer after I stopped giving a F*ck. Nothing worked. So dust shieldless it is for me, if you really care about those just order new ones lol.

Edited by Loya1ty

Here's what I DIDN'T do for my 5th gen today. I didn't order a Q300 exhaust because they aren't available right now. :spin:

Found an online shop called Boxer4Racing that has a really good price. I sent them a message and the owner Dale got back to me right away and said he'll let me know when Invidia has them back in stock (practically all resellers dropship).

For now, I'll have to patch my exhaust with a soda can and aluminum tape. It developed a hole the other day right where the rear mid-pipe hanger is. The hanger completely detached. It looks to be some Walker garbage with accordion bends that the previous owner put on. So a 10 year old car needs its 3rd exhaust already. #RustBeltLife

Someone posted an Invidia Q300 in the classifieds.

Hi all......... this is pretty mundane stuff compared to all the 'rebuild' stuff you guys are posting, but lots of work for me and lots of satisfaction.

Did the whole wash, detail, clay bar and wax yesterday and finished it off this morning...I am getting too old for this kind of crap!! But I love the results. :wub:

RcG6ECv.jpg

8U91OsM.jpg

DFshwbK.jpg

38d19956b328d59f58ed1db761e0b21b.jpg

Finally got the garage cleaned out enough to fit both cars. They have been outside for around 10 months while we transitioned from KC to Pittsburg.