LegacyGT.com

Asking for a friend.

Ok, so let's say I've heard such things as ' you can't turbo a n/a motor' and 'bad things'.

Now let's say I'm from Missouri and I need to know more. What happens? Specifics appreciated.

And for number two, again, for a friend..., If my engine already "gets more air than it needs", what if I give it more fuel to....'use' this air'?

And for three and final, I love my legacy, why everyone says they are shit? Just cause it doesn't have a turbo, it can't be messed with at all? Full engi,...no wait, full drive train swap is the only way to make it better? I call bullshit...so if you could please let me know about 1 and 2 that would be great. Thanks guys.

God I'm stubborn, sorry. 😀

Where theres a will (and a wallet) theres a way.

Biggest question is what are you trying to do? Daily driver with occasional spirited, drop in a k&n filter, fab up an exhaust get a single mass flywheel and lightweight crank pully and enjoy.

Want more? start searching for a wrx donor or saving for a stroker kit punch the stock engine out to 2.7, grind some spicy cams and get some nitrous.

Its your car, I searched for 8 years for another clean 04 leggy with a 5mt after my last one and I parted ways, and Other people's options be dammed, if I want a fatter torque curve I'll track down a h6 and stuff that under my hood. Its all about how much time, devotion, and cash you are willing to put twords the project.

All that being said there are more financially practical cars for raw speed.

But adding lighter rotating mass, and more powerful spark plugs will help, you are limited by the stock duration of the cams, getting regrinds is a big difference.

Ive done ngk plat plugs, lighter weight single mass flywheel and crank pulley drop in filter with a super ghetto intake. Will she smoke a new sti, not unless a complete hack is driving, can I have a great time on a twisty back road, absolutely.

Hope this answers a little better.

Harmonics and unbalanced components are one worry, plus the heat the flywheel will circum to and ability to retain and shed heat matter. I wouldn't run any lighten items.

Spend your money replacing worn suspension, new driveshaft bushing and u-joints, new rear diff bushings, solid trans and motor mounts, aluminum control arms, good tire, short throw shifter and poly shift bushing. Things of those sorts will make a huge difference. It's the small details that will matter instead of trying to get more power out of the engine just make the car work together better as a whole.

The SOHC engine was not designed to have any forced induction. The block simply can't handle real boost reliably for long.

The pulley debate has been going for yeeeears! Or at least it was back when i was a regular on forums. But personally I have never seen or heard of anyone spinning a bearing from a perrin pulley.

But do what you are comfortable doing.

And many subarus have run a single mass flywheel over the years the only ill effects youll have is slightly more rpm drop when chugging up hills at lower throttle and a little more drive train noise. Mine was about 5lbs lighter than the stock dual mass (21lbs vs 26 iirc)

1000% I agree with you and thanks for mentioning bushings and all the under pinnings as a great place to start.