LegacyGT.com

5MT Transmission Failure(s)

Roldan

What manufacture stage 2?

And fyi, I burned up my stage 2 just doing 5 launches. Went with a six puck after that.

The only adjustment you can make is at the pedal under the dash.

Or the fluid in the master and slave cylinder needs to be flushed and replaced.

that would be the clutch master cylinder arm, try removing plastic covers under the driver footwell and take a peak at the CMC arm poking through the firewall. in my 05 the Clutch pedal assembly runs left to right, CMC arm is up behind gas pedal. I believe its a cotter pin removal for adjusting it. I replaced my CMC 2 years ago, so I'm a bit fuzzy on the exact description. good luck, hope this helped

• 2 weeks later...

I've got one an older on but still a 5mt. 96 obw ej22e 165k. Bought her with 4th gear almost gone then I finished the job. Would pop out if you let off the gas then just would not ever stay in 4th for a while. Then the clutch started to not release but you can adjust the cable. It didn't work for long pretty sure I broke/bent another clutch fork.

I am sure it was from just lack of matainace. The oil literally came out in chunks and was just gross.

800 car, I can source a tranny for 600 supposedly rebuilt and sealed. Or I can just pull and save the motor for future projects I have in mind. Either for a westy swap or to drop into a baja.

Edited by RustyRuu

• 3 years later...

Not mine, but helped a friend with a problem on his 100k mile LGT. He got a clutch in the car a week ago, and it shortly started making horrific noises and leaking gear oil badly. Got it apart, and found all of the pilot bearing except the outer race missing, and a crack/hole in the trans that led behind the input shaft seal. Evenly spaced, deep, hemispherical indentations in the outer race imply that he pecked the inner race with the trans shaft and cross loaded it when cinching the trans down. Best guess is the vibes from running a chattering 6 puck clutch with the input shaft unsupported caused a fatigue failure in the trans casing. Ball bearing indentations in the flywheel. Never seen this happen. Friend's an experienced wrench, crazy stuff.

So I guess, be extra sure you've actually aligned everything right before you start pulling the trans to the motor?

IMG_20200524_122117.jpg.82ffe850104f12e590bccfa6ad798ad7.jpg

IMG_20200524_110036.jpg.a2ebb8bb79089117f675e5f4d67f3fcc.jpg

IMG_20200524_110026.thumb.jpg.970f93ced8fbdc689393b36fef646ab7.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well today while getting on the highway, downshifted to 3rd gear and that was useless shifter got hung up and stuck where it is. As long as I had the clutch pushed in the car was fine. So I was able to coast down hill to a stop under an overpass, in the shade.

AAA was there about 30 minutes later with a flat bed. Had them take the wagon to a transmission shop about 15 minutes from the house.

I just ordered Energy Suspension tranny mount inserts. Figure while the car is there if the tranny has to come out, they can put them in. The clutch has been seeming to grab lower over the past few weeks.Not like I didn't have clue something was about to happen.

The shifter is stuck and can not be moved. Clutch appears to work fine. Clutch has 90,000 miles so its time to be replaced if the tranny comes out.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Stopped by the Tranny Shop after work, seems the shift forks are the issue. They will replace them, bearings and synchro's.

Just ordered Southbend Stage 2 Daily.

The Spec 2+ clutch disc looked great, the PP was showing some wear. SMFW looks great, they'll resurface it, he said looks like one cut should do it.

Also the Prop Shaft needs replacing again. The U joints are a bit notchy. He'll talk with the local Driveshaft shops and see if one of them can make up a unit with replaceable joints.

They pull the tranny without removing the DP or axles, nice to have lift and be Pro's.

Update. the SB clutch was the wrong one. I have the RA shipping label and will be shipping it back for a refund.

I called Spec Clutch and ordered a SU253H for the LWFW Spec FW I have. That should be at the Shop next Tuesday, it's Friday as I write this.

I also bought a Propeller Shaft from The Driveshaft Store, it has replaceable U joints. It came in today and is already at the Tranny Shop.

https://https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/5mt-transmission-failure-s-128098.htmllegacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/driveshaft-replacable-u-joints-283373.html

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here