LegacyGT.com

Troubleshooting​ a flat spot in power.

So some of y'all may be aware with my ownership of my 5th LGT. I had it 2 weeks and it was crashed then 2 weeks after I got it back (after a month in the collision shop) the turbocharger shat the bed. I've had it back almost a week now and something still feels off.

Now it may just be me since really, I've only had the car two weeks. I came out of an F10 6MT 535I before this so it may just be psychosomatic. But I feel as if the car is slower than before. It feels as if the turbo is building power up until about 5 grand and then it's lethargic to redline. Now I've been reading a lot about the car limiting you to mechanical boost in the event of something electrically wrong. I am throwing no CEL codes which has me leaning towards something mechanical or vacuum related. Car is 100% stock.

My question is, all related information to boost function on the EJ255 is limited to the WRX and 4th LGT. GTeaser or somebody as knowledgeable, can you walk me through the 5th gen boost process?

I found an image on another thread but again,<09 LGT. So we have a boost control solenoid? If so, where? Do we have a boost pill? What is the proper vacuum routing?

Again, it feels as if the power curve falls off after 5k. I've looked on YouTube for stock LGT acceleration videos and I still can't tell if it's normal. I'll post a video on my way to work so y'all can see what I'm talking about.

Any help is appreciated y'all. Thanks.0b66d44a548dc72aa04b51692b5c312d.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Your going to want to make sure you have the boost pill installed.

The stock turbo is ok but will fall off a bit in the higher rpms.

Have you done a boost leak test ?

Zip tied all vacuum lines ?

Your turbo blew, was there any metal in the oil system ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Your going to want to make sure you have the boost pill installed.

The stock turbo is ok but will fall off a bit in the higher rpms.

Have you done a boost leak test ?

Zip tied all vacuum lines ?

Your turbo blew, was there any metal in the oil system ?

So the 5th gen DOES have a boost pill? Is it located in the same spot? How do I check to see if it's in there?

All vacuum lines coming off the turbo are zip tied or have been fastened when they

Subaru replaced the turbo.

No metal fragments in the oil, the blades bent and the bearing was making a grinding noise but nothing actually gave out.

I have not done a boost leak test but am interested in instructions in doing so.

For 5th gen specific questions you really want to post in that sub-forum, the platforms are different enough.

Note the little VF-54 is past it's efficiency sweet-spot around 5k0rpm. Stock boost target is only 10 or 11psi up there, and that's about all it will support with any efficiency, so it's not going to be lightning fast.

Stock, you should be doing 100~200kph in about 20 seconds. So if you're a lot slower than that you may have a problem.

I don't suppose it's possible for you log some data from the car eh?

Yes, the 5th gen also has a boost pill in the line between the tee and the actuator. Without it you're pretty much stuck at wastegate boost pressure, but I think it's unlikely Subaru would have omitted it. Your boost control solenoid is on top of the hard plastic pipe that bolts to the turbo air intake btw.

I'd also be concerned about bearing metal in the oil. I hope the turbo oil drain pan was cleaned out thoroughly, and the sump pan, and the oil cooler replaced as a precaution.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

I wish I could. I've not had the chance to do much with this car as far as data logging or tuning or anything. I'll check for the boost pill when I put the car up in the air and I'll see if the solenoid the body shop replaced was the original Subaru.

Cheers for the help!

Without it you're pretty much stuck at wastegate boost pressure, but I think it's unlikely Subaru would have omitted it.

I'm re reading this and I don't think Subaru would have, it's the body shop that fixed my car that I'm suddenly concerned with.

Clogged with what?
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

I hope you cleaned the throttle body while you were in there.

Looks like mice did some chewing on something plastic, might want to have a close look at turbo inlet.

Not to mention the compressor wheel...

Archived