LegacyGT.com

external wastegate overkill for stock turbo?

just wondering if anyone is running an external gate on the stock VF40, and if its beneficial at all? I know its necessary with a bigger turbo, as I had external gates on previous cars with bigger turbos. Searching doesnt really bring up any results...I may possibly upgrade in the future, but for now I am just curious. Thanks!

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

Several years ago a local forum member ran a 38mm Tial on the stock vf40 with a perrin header, and he claimed he was making 350wtq on pump gas. Then his oil pickup broke and cost him a motor before he could take me for a ride to prove it.

Not sure if that was BS, inflated numbers, caused by the header mod, etc. Needless to say nobody else would try it unless you seriously have money you'd like to burn.

noob question but,can u make a stock VF-40 hold 17psi instead of dropping to lets say 10psi by 5000 rpm?! would a ewg help with such?!

Yes you can, however, you don't want to.

At 17psi at redline the vf40 is far outside of it's efficiency range and you basically have a flamethrower.

Yes you can, however, you don't want to.

At 17psi at redline the vf40 is far outside of it's efficiency range and you basically have a flamethrower.

interesting,so what would be the max psi for a VF-40 to not be a flamethrower(lol) and not be out of efficiency?!

I ran an EWG on the VF40... there was little to no HP gains over the stock IWG. Just a bunch of extra noise. I would only recommend one if you know for sure you're going to get a larger turbo.

But to answer your question, YES its overkill

External wastegates are mounted on the exhaust and aren't particularly small. Internal wastegates you'll see the linkage on the turbo housing hooked to the flapper arm which in turn moves the internal flapper. Hence the internal name. First pic is a external setup and the second is internal. If your on a stock turbo your internal unless somebody spent a bunch of money to convert which really is not needed.

external.jpg.6aef1ea182683b84a9a2bf44ddbbc30e.jpg

internal.jpg.ceedac812dc79bf9d11ce70329013bb6.jpg

Archived