LegacyGT.com

06 5mt-hard shifting and crunch

garygbnj

06 lgt-5mt-330 hp-hp clutch. 145k. Had since new. Hopped up at 10k. Starting this winter hard shifting when very cold. New trans fluid in October 2012. Easier shifting when car is warm. Hard acceleration shifting into 4th=crunch. Is there anything I can do other than a complete rebuild? Thanks.

Fluid is 75-90

Clutch is Competition Clutch Stage 2

We know 75w-90 but there are only a few brands/types you can use in these tranny's.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 1 month later...
I wish that I had. I put some trans. fluid (per the owner's manuals instructions) so that I could get the car to the shop this week, but a few miles after doing so I couldn't shift into 2nd anymore. So I am waiting to hear from the dealer. Pretty sure the rear main seal is shot.

So you took it to the dealer...

If you can drive it, pick it up and find a local tranny shop and have them look at it.

They can rebuild yours and the clutch kit with single mass flywheel is about that price. You'll also want a TSK3 TOB kit.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I found a local Subaru shop that will replace the trans. and do a clutch for $1100 + the cost of a transmission. Found one for $800 wih 80k miles on it nearby. This seems like my cheapest option, though what are the odds that I pick up a transmission with the some issue?

A priced a transmission rebuild and it was $2500 + the cost of a clutch. Woof.

BAC5.2 may have some knowledge of tranny rebuilds cost.

I do too.

You should have the new tranny at least opened up and inspected while its out. replace the syncro's and a few nut's and lockwashers.

Use Extra-S or the cocktail of 3qt' redline lwt shockprook and .8 qt Motul 300.

Both my tranny's have Amsoil Severgear 75w-90 and are happy with that.

Don't put anything else in these 5mt's.

My last rebuild was $750 in parts alone.

• 4 weeks later...
My transmission replacement was a success...kind of. I have a FANTASTIC stage 2 WRX clutch in there now. Finally, I'm driving the car how the way it was intended...except for I got the car back and a cam angle sensor code came up. And I have no turbo....so I'm back to having no car again. Any thoughts? Seems odd right that it would go in for a transmission swap and come out with a code and no turbo?

Archived