LegacyGT.com

05 Legacy BP5 GT Limited - 07 JDM BP5 Legacy Tuned By STI conversion project

You're right. I have been consulting with the tuner and based on the options avail and I need to decide on setting for 240 - 250 WHP on 91 pump gas with an open source tune or use an access port and go up to 350 WHP but have less mileage and I need to buy an upgraded fuel pump and injectors. I would have the ability to switch between pump gas and E85, obviously not mixing the two.

You can have a pump gas and ethanol tunes on Opensource also. You just need your laptop handy. Cobb doesn't have a monopoly on this. The one thing they can offer over OS is a flex fuel setup.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can have a pump gas and ethanol tunes on Opensource also. You just need your laptop handy. Cobb doesn't have a monopoly on this. The one thing they can offer over OS is a flex fuel setup.

But, not yet (or ever?) for the Legacy GTs. Delicious tuning's kit is currently the only FlexFuel set-up that works with our cars.

But, not yet (or ever?) for the Legacy GTs. Delicious tuning's kit is currently the only FlexFuel set-up that works with our cars.

now it's the time for me to think practically. It's obvious that I should have realistically just built a new engine instead of using the EJ20Y given the fuel choices in the Los Angeles area. At my stage in life with a kid and family priorities, it is a harsh fact that I won't be able to hit the track every weekend or even once a month for that matter. I make mistakes and thinking more clearly about the engine foundation should have been the priority.

It's not over in terms of changing and making things work but, with the amount of time I have left before I have to travel for my real job makes this project already past due and resources over the initial budget based on my life partners expectation.

I'm ok with settling for a build that is tuned on pump gas vs spending more money to get new injectors, fuel pump, and AP which won't work in my case because the ECU is CANBUS. I reused the JDM ECU which from what I am told cannot communicate with US market AP. Thus the suggestion was made about getting a laptop with EcuFlash on it and a Tactrix cable. It will seem like more work than pleasure to keep a laptop handy or Ipad for that matter to constantly adjust back and forth.

These are just thoughts at the moment. I have until June 23rd to make a decision cause that is when the car is said to come out of paint from the body shop.

Edited by valleylegacy

You can get a JDM Accessport, they are Prova branded. They don't come up often on Yahoo Japan Auctions and they are only V2 units. The bigger issue is if a tuner in the US can use it to tune with their existing Cobb software.

In the meantime some parts ordered long ago finally arrived in. (why didn't I just spend that money on injectors and pump?)

JDM BP5 Legacy Wagon rear bumper panel - Aluminum

Part Number - E7717AG003

JDM BP5 Legacy Wagon Side Visors

Part Number - E3610AG010

34949445334_7648cb8ddc_b.jpg

35620441872_a827ffa8bb_b.jpg

34949445284_cca2d2cc85_b.jpg

Edited by valleylegacy

Well after much consultation with the tuner @yimisport, I've decided to open source tune at pump 91 and put in a DW65C. It's the most practical idea for the budget I have left. I didn't want to deal with using a laptop with software and plugging in and out. Nor did I want to have to switch back and forth between fuels. Water Meth was not a good option for me long term so (I know this will sound horrible cause of all the work put in) I will settle for what power I can get out of the EJ20Y with 91 octane pump gas and an upgraded fuel pump. Please don't hate lol.

I'm constantly traveling for my job and I will hardly get to drive the car. My wife uses our forester and it just doesn't make sense for me to have the car set up in a way where I will have to decide between what fuel I wanna use today and hardly ever end up going to the track let alone auto X.

JDM BP5 Legacy Wagon rear bumper panel - Aluminum

Part Number - E7717AG003

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa141/elisliquorstore/JDM%20BP5%20Tuned%20by%20STI%20build/IMG_8677_zps1muegkvl.jpg

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa141/elisliquorstore/JDM%20BP5%20Tuned%20by%20STI%20build/IMG_8678_zpsvbyxtv0o.jpg

Where on the bumper does it go? Do you have pictures?

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Found it myself. Figured its strictly for JDM rear bumpers. Looks great though!

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=250961&stc=1&d=1497405372

p1.jpg.261c021d91e65a445380ec18c13d58b5.jpg

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

You can get a JDM Accessport, they are Prova branded. They don't come up often on Yahoo Japan Auctions and they are only V2 units. The bigger issue is if a tuner in the US can use it to tune with their existing Cobb software.

I thought about that, however I'm not even sure if the language on it is in Japanese. That would present a big problem for the tuner if I have to sit there and translate let alone figure out how to navigate through the Japanese software.

Love it, speechless :p

Thanks for the Wrx sti black sunroof switch tip: *exactly* what I need ror my adm pre/postfacelift tbsti into postfl BP gtb.

Iirc add an adjustable fpr, pump, and the stock injectors are ok on a conservative e85 tune.

Also gotitrex has os fft via rear o2 sensor.... tempting.

Have you considered the entire s402 handling upgrade kit? My OCD buddy dropped the lot on his my08 tbsti wag. Albeit w/ bee r TI springs :p

Edited by bigBADbenny

Love it, speechless :p

Thanks for the Wrx sti black sunroof switch tip: *exactly* what I need ror my adm pre/postfacelift tbsti into postfl BP gtb.

Iirc add an adjustable fpr, pump, and the stock injectors are ok on a conservative e85 tune.

Also gotitrex has os fft via rear o2 sensor.... tempting.

Have you considered the entire s402 handling upgrade kit? My OCD buddy dropped the lot on his my08 tbsti wag. Albeit w/ bee r TI springs :p

Hello from USA to you! Thank you for the tip, appreciate your comments.

I've actually secured another set of the TBSTI Wagon Bilsteins + STI pinks. I've also thought about the S402 Bilstein set up with pinks but I have no clue on the real differences as both the TBSTI Wagon and S402 Wagon share very similar curb weight so I wonder how much differently the S402 Bilsteins are tuned.

Afaik it's a damper tune to suit the rest of the handling upgrades (and a pretty sticker), he's pretty happy with it as a daily. The braces etc are similar to the tbsti flexible tower brace, improving feel w/o adding too much rigidity as per eg cusco braces. There's also the tbsti pirro rear lateral arms, make sure you get the supplied specific washers :)

Regarding your (rear) seat, adm prefl tbsti and blitzen seats had red stitch w/ grey perf alcantara inserts, postfl had iirc lighter or darker grey alcantara and sti embroidered front seats, rear seat w/ fold out cup holder armrest.

The door trims had the alcantara and the silver trims in dark metallic grey extending to the spears across the dash & centre console.

My interior conversion to postfl tbsti will be set off with prova d wheel, my10+ sti dark grey horn pad (swap out the charge) and black swc's.

Just need the VA dccd to complete the dream, and that sunroof switch XD.

Edited by bigBADbenny

Also, a 6mt satin white pearl tbsti wagon is regarded as THE unicorn down here. Goals XD

Same here in the USA. My car is the 05 BP5 GT 5MT but it will be converted to the closest possible reiteration of the 06-08 JDM Legacy Wagon TBSTI in SWP.

Searching for an option to the JDM crash beam for the rear. The JDM rear wagon bumper is shorter and I would like to retain the crash safety for rear impact. I will attempt getting a EDM Wagon rear bumper beam. I hear it is designed to work with the JDM length rear bumper. Edited by valleylegacy

A few other small parts I sourced in the last month.

HKS Snorkus delete funnel (discontinued)

Part Number - 70999-AF001

Installed picture

35789819815_4c65c56d67_b.jpg

34979690983_2ef3cf977b_b.jpgIMG_8998_zpscjvmymfq by Arnold Chun, on Flickr

35401352190_f187df9b82_b.jpgIMG_8997_zpstgpjua6f by Arnold Chun, on Flickr

I always liked how the STI optional pedals feel. Since my car is an 05 I got some older model BH/BE JDM pedals that work, they happened to be in great condition as these are also out of production.

JDM STI Optional Pedal Set

Part Number - ST3600055000

35401352100_39e892883e_b.jpgIMG_8999_zpswvdrlbxt by Arnold Chun, on Flickr

plug and play!

35658550351_f39d654008_h.jpgIMG_9141 by Arnold Chun, on Flickr

My previous subaru build was a 06 Forester XT converted to a 06-07 JDM Forester STI. I had used these OSRAM Xenarc 4500K cool blue HID bulbs. I'll be adding them on again.

35401352020_7c296e4505_b.jpgIMG_9002_zpsfywpwb9o by Arnold Chun, on Flickr

Edited by valleylegacy

Also picked up some S402 Wagon Pink Springs!

Part Numbers

Front - ST2033021090

Rear - ST2038021110

Spring Rates F/R - 7.6K

I did some further research and found that the JDM 2006, 2007 Tuned By STI Sedan and Wagon utilize different JDM Pink springs matched to their bilstein struts. They are different in rates compared to the JDM 2.0GT, Spec B, 3.0R, Spec B, and Blitzen models.

The S402 Sedan and Wagon uses the same Pink Springs in the front but the rears are different. The S402 Wagon rear springs are the same as the 2007 Legacy Tuned by STI wagon.

The drop on the Tuned By STI and S402 is also different compared to the previous models that had the Pink Springs.