LegacyGT.com

K&N Air Filter Nob Questions

the person (s) that invented K&N original oily filters needs to be tarred and feathered.

such never actually get clean as you can't get 100% of the fine dust off it.

and all they are is something to hurt your car.

20 years ago I watched a mechanic swapping a 318 out of a dodge truck.

...starved for air by a K&N.

Oh but to answer your actual question, you don't need a tune for a drop-in filter

Technically...you should get it tuned. :lol: Because why buy a $50 filter if you aren't willing to drop $400 on a tune too! :eek:

edit-.../sarcasm you don't need a tune unless your datalogging tells you one is needed.

Several people ove here in Oz have had issues over the years with oil on the AMS, screwing their air flow data and hence the tune, resulting in bad running.

Good tuners avoid them.

Add to the fact that, well the ain't no free lunch - the "greater airflow", well at least initially, is from having bigger holes in the filter that allow small fines to get through, polluting your engine oil and wearing your bores and bearings.

And when they get dirty, they flow worse than factory paper filters.

• 1 year later...

• 4 weeks later...
Another good filter is the Blitz SUS Performance LM . I got it for my 2014 leg and love it so far, similar to the AEM one it's reusable and doesn't have any oils, it's also made of cotton which supposedly is better quality. I recommend it.

*quietly ordering the dry filter and removing the K&N one without anyone noticing :D

Any reason to think the K&N cabin filter is equally as not recommended? Only negatives I saw on that was due to the oils it had a manufactured scent for the first couple of weeks.

*quietly ordering the dry filter and removing the K&N one without anyone noticing :D

Any reason to think the K&N cabin filter is equally as not recommended? Only negatives I saw on that was due to the oils it had a manufactured scent for the first couple of weeks.

Some people claim that the filter lets larger particles through than paper filters or washable dry media filters. I’ve yet to see any data on that, but it is what they say.

Me personally? I’ve had K&N or similar oiled gauze filters on four cars. Two of them seemed to be a little peppier with them and suffered no ill effects for years. One it made no difference at all. The fourth had an aFe cone filter that dripped oil — over the course of more than a decade — onto a hose below the airbox and wrecked it. I replaced it with a newer model aFe dry filter and didn’t look back. I don’t know if it made a performance difference because the car came like that. I didn’t have MAF or intake fouling on any of the cars because I was careful not to over-oil the filters.

If you’re not replacing the intake to let more noise out — seems like most intakes do nothing or even reduce performance — you’re better off just using a quality paper filter and replacing it regularly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve got a new K&N filter meant for an older (2003?) Legacy 2.5GT in the box just lying around. I assume it’ll work in anything with an EJ253 in it.

Free to a good home. Assuming you consider “in your airbox” a good home for it. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To offer an opposing view, I've had a K&N filter in my car for at least 40,000 miles, two cleanings with the oil and haven't had any MAF sensor issues. Maybe I fell for the marketing and the less-waste aspect of it. I don't know that I'll get another one since I've been influenced just as much by the people who say they're not a good product. I'm not in love with the product, but I certainly can't say anything bad about it.