LegacyGT.com

Any WRX drivers come over to the Legacy?

I'm thinking about picking up a used 2007 Legacy Spec B with 30,000 miles on it... I have a 2006 WRX Stage 2 right now on STI JDM Pink Springs with a Cobb catted TBE. Has anyone else made the migration from a WRX to a Legacy GT or Spec B? I'm really afraid of not liking the car because maybe it won't be edgy enough or entertaining enough for me. I test drove a 2010 WRX 5 door base and I liked it quite a bit.... I'm actually in the process of negotiating with a dealer while I try to secure a personal auto loan to purchase the used Spec B. So does anyone have any regrets moving from a WRX to a Legacy or regret buying a Legacy instead of a WRX? Thanks! -Jason

I have regrets of not buying the 2010 STI I was looking at it. The Legacy is too slugglish, soft and big compared to what I was used to. It really took some getting used to after I bought the Legacy. Sometimes I wish I went for the 2010 STI instead.

I had a MY02WRX (stage 3, 330whp) and now have a MY06LGT (stage 2, 258whp).

Both great cars that are fun to drive and own! And indeed different.

If you want edgy and entertaining you should go with a WRX or STI.

Lloyd M. 2006 GRP LGT 5EAT Sedan [For Sale]

I just went from a 02 WRX , decent amount of mods, stage 2, suspension work, ect. to a 05 GT.

I am very happy with the choice. The roughness of the WRX got old after awhile, especialy on the highway. The power is not there yet with the GT, but stage 2 will put me right back where I was with the WRX. Girls like the GT more, leather and all that jazz. It is a more mature car and attracts less negative attention than a loud wrx. WRX is more of a high school, college car.

I owned a 2005 Saab 9-2x Aero (Subaru WRX wagon) 5-speed.

I sold it after 9000 miles and about 2 years later bought a 2008 LGT 5-speed for my wife and I.

The LGT is what Subaru should be.....a very nice blend between the economy family sedans (think Accord, Altima, etc.) and the entry-level luxury sports sedans (think 3-series, A4, etc.). It's not cheap or expensive inside, it's a nice blend.

I remember my first drive of a 2005 LGT 5-speed. It had smooth power that came on nicely and it was a blast. Unfortunately, my 2008 is not like that. It's jerky and the power does not feel nice between 2000-2500 rpms. Shifting quality appears to be inconsistent at best, due to either DBW, driver error, or an inconsistent clutch or some blend therein.

But the ride is fantastic, the driving position is excellent, and the overall blend is still superb. I threw on a set of cobb sways and the stock handling with crappy stock tires is acceptable in terms of feel.

Like most Suby owners (IMHO), I think this is a tremendous platform to build off of....but if you intend to keep it stock, I don't think a '08 5-speed is the way to go.

I'm looking forward to experiencing what everyone else has at Stage 2 in terms of power delivery, smoothness, and added kick. I think that'll cure 90% of my woes with this car.

I went form an 05 Sti to a Civic then to a Legacy. I would love to have my Sti back, but my Legacy gets better gas mileage, cheaper on insurance, cheaper monthly payment, and it doesn't attract attention.

All in all I love the Legacy, but the Sti will be in my family again.

I had an 07 WRX and found my Spec B looking for another wrx. Im really glad i made the choice. My WRX seamed too young for me and most of my friends said the same thing. Even my ex who really likes the STI loves my spec b. Apparently it turned her on with the way i drive. *wink*

I went from an 04 WRX wagon to a 07 LGT. For me the 2.0 in the WRX was just to much on/off, plus I just wanted to something a bit more comfortable. The fold down seats give me the same utility as the wagon. I wouldn't go back. The Legacy is a great combination of power and daily driving comfort, especially at Stage 2.whatever I'm at :)

I went from a 2002 WRX to an Audi Allroad, and back to Subaru with a 2008 Legacy spec b (Stage 1).

Bottom line for me, I have 3 kids and all can fit, along with my wife and me, in the Legacy without issues. It can also hold two hockey bags with passengers.

Edge factor...the WRX felt lighter and more responsive. The Legacy still puts a smile on my face and is the perfect mix of fun/function, and price for me (43 yr old suburban guy). I plan to go Stage 2 as the warranty expires.

One other thing, this may be fact or fiction, but my WRX had very few or no squeaks. My Legacy has squeaks. I try my best to get rid of all of them, but temperature changes seem to bring them back. I attribute the difference to manufacturing location, my WRX was made in Japan and the Legacy was made in Indiana.

I came from an '05 2.5RS to an '08 LGT. I test drove a WRX in '05 when I got the RS, I couldn't justify the insurance to get it. in '08 I considered it, but the ride quality of the RS on highways was so stiff, that I knew the WRX would surely be worse. The LGT blows away the '05 WRX in power delivery IMO (I know 2.0 makes a big diff) as for the STI argument... that's not what the OP is asking... it's a whole other breed IMO... that's not meant to be a DD, where a WRX or LGT can easily be such.

I have an unmodded LGT and don't intend on anything in the near future and love it. I think the major difference is ride quality and cargo room... both are highly upgradable to get the performance you want.

Some bastard ran a red light and totalled my 05 WRX, the car that my wife and i had a collective boner over for the last 5 years since we drove it new off the lot in 2005. Now we have an 05 Legacy GT limited. We love the gt, its edgy, fast, the 5eat is a lot better than i anticipated...

BUT, we definitly miss our WRX. Even though it was all stock, it was still amazingly fun to drive. We will miss the "hey whats up fellow WRX owner" wave every time you pass one on the road.

My brother had a WRX and then moved up to the STi. The STi was highly modded, rough as hell, loud, and got the attention of ever street racer as well as cop.

I envy every new WRX or STi (especially the white ones) I pass but it just was not the car for me. The Legacy is more refined with more options. yes the girls do like that part and yes the LGT can turn some power, but it all came down to ride quality and options for me. And coming from a 02 Ford Ranger, I am stoaked!

No offense Shesaidletsrock, but you sound like you wouldnt be happy in anything other than a Bugatti, Ferrari, or Lambo. You have a nice ass car, enjoy it dude!

my 08 spec b feels like a dumb drugged out failier older brother to my 03 wrx. but the spec.b turns more heads. and sounds better. and has a higher top speed.

that's odd because I drove a few WRXs in '05 and was a bit dissapointed in the turbo lag, so I went for an RS for the price and insurance. Now that I have an LGT I am very impressed by the difference in pickup and performance out of the 2.5t engine compared to the 2.0t I had previously driven. Def not "sluggish"... but then I don't have a Spec.b... so maybe the extra weight of the Navi is holding you back... :lol::lol:

I often wonder if I should have bought a WRX instead of the Legacy GT.

I drove an 08 WRX last week and it handled WAY better than the Legacy GT. Then I remembered that this is the wife's car. The adults in us actually didn't want a WRX at the time because we felt they stand out too much, especially when modified. I hate people trying to race me at stop lights! lol

The Legacy GT is too soft I agree. But we bought it because it doesn't stand out in a parking lot or on the road, but it is a blast to drive even though all we have done is a catback. We plan to lower it a bit with stiffer shocks and sway bars, 18x8s with 235s, a catted downpipe/tune, and short throw shifter. The car has the nice features that my wife likes (heated leather seats, heated mirrors etc) with less road noise than the WRX and we can actually fit five adults fairly comfortably. And the best part is it doesn't turn the wrong heads.

Archived