LegacyGT.com

2010 LGT suspension refresh questions

Seems it is time to replace all struts on my 2010 LGT as I noticed uneven wear patterns on the tires - some thread blocks wore out more than others and increased road noise because of it. The wheels were balanced so the shocks are the suspects as there is also visible sweating. I read that the springs from later year models are better than those that came originally on 2010 so it is a good time to get new springs too. Looking at the Subaru parts catalog I see these spring part numbers that are compatible with 2010:

Front: 20330AJ00A, 20330AJ02A, 20330AJ03A

Rear: 20380AJ00A, 20380AJ01A, 20380AJ02A

The 2012 LGT lists

Front: 20330AJ02A, 20330AJ03A

Rear: same parts as 2010

Which spring parts do I want? Is the 20330AJ03A/20380AJ02A combo for front/rear the latest and greatest?

No plan to drop the car so I will go with the KYB OEM direct replacement struts.

This is the list of parts I think I need, am I missing anything?

1. KYB 2 front (339223, 339222) / 2 rear (340026) struts

2. New springs

3. KYB front (SM5361) / rear (SM5764) strut mounts (or should I go with OEM)?

4. KYB strut boots (SB103/SB113)

Any other recommendations what should be done at the same time? Many thanks in advance for any advice.

An option would be to get Koni inserts for your old front struts, and matching Koni rear shocks.

You can match them with your stock springs or the slightly firmer 2013-up springs.

I would check the pancake front control arm bushing as these fail often. Lots of options for this, I just went OEM with mine.

An option would be to get Koni inserts for your old front struts, and matching Koni rear shocks.

You can match them with your stock springs or the slightly firmer 2013-up springs.

I would check the pancake front control arm bushing as these fail often. Lots of options for this, I just went OEM with mine.

I thought about Konis but the feedback I got here was that if I don't want to drop the car I shouldn't bother and just go with OEM or KYB equivalents for simplicity.

As for the springs, I should be looking at 2013+ then? 20330AJ08A or J10A?

I thought about Konis but the feedback I got here was that if I don't want to drop the car I shouldn't bother and just go with OEM or KYB equivalents for simplicity.

the AJ08A appears to be the fitment for the lighter 2.5i 6MT front end, while the AJ10A appears to be for the heavier 2.5i CVT or 3.6R 5EAT, so the heavier 2.5GT should probably go with the heavier option for the spring.

as for the struts, i'd look into the 2013+ fitment [kyb 3340106 and 3340107 front, 340043 rear], since the damping would better match the higher rate 2013+ springs.

True, if you are looking for something OEM +, the 2013-up setup would probably suit you well.

Sorry I never really looked into the part numbers since our local market cars have different suspension specs. But from what I gather the 2013+ shocks and springs are both uprated and ideally should be paired together.

I noticed you balanced the wheels, did you do a wheel alignment, and how often

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

I did not but probably should have. I had the car for 2 years and I don't think the previous owner had done alignment too. At this point and car age the shocks needs to be replaced anyway, and alignment will be done as a part of it.

FYI the konis won't drop your ride height, it's the springs that dictate that. I forget who, but someone here runs konis with 2013-14 springs

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Yeah, I get that. I'm not set up for this project and for me the benefits do not seem to be worth the extra effort/cost required for getting it done. If I can firm up the ride a bit that's all I'm after.

the AJ08A appears to be the fitment for the lighter 2.5i 6MT front end, while the AJ10A appears to be for the heavier 2.5i CVT or 3.6R 5EAT, so the heavier 2.5GT should probably go with the heavier option for the spring.

as for the struts, i'd look into the 2013+ fitment [kyb 3340106 and 3340107 front, 340043 rear], since the damping would better match the higher rate 2013+ springs.

Good observation on the AJ08A vs. the AJ10A. Strangely the AJ10A also lists the 6MT model. I do wonder how a dealer decides between them when ordering parts or if there is any official recommendation from Subaru when to use one or the other on the 6MT model. Good point on the KYB being different for 2013, I didn't realize that.

There's only one part for the rear spring fpr 2013, 20380AJ10A, seems like this is what I should get.

Uncertainty about rear shock mounts as they are a different part# between 2010/13, OEM or KYB. If I go with 2013 shocks sounds I should get the 2013 mounts? Or they mate with the car differently and I should stick with the 2010 part? The front mounts are the same part#. Thoughts?

as far as i'm aware, the later strut mount should fit fine. the bolt spacing looks to be the same; the later part just appears to have more material where the shaft is bolted to the mount:

zenki:

http://web.archive.org/web/20190529162000if_/https://www.rockauto.com/info/63/SM5764.jpg

kouki:

http://web.archive.org/web/20190529162005if_/https://www.rockauto.com/info/63/SM5765.jpg

unfortunately, this is only conjecture, as the are not parts physically in front of me. someone with experience on pre- and post-facelift models would need to confirm. it's interesting that the aftermarket have a unique part number for the MY10-12 BM/BR, while the MY13+ shares the part number with the third and fourth gen impreza, and related platforms [GR, GP, VA, SJ, etc.] that have similar rear multilink design.

Thanks, the extra material on the 2013 mount kind of makes sense given the shocks must be more damping to counteract stiffer springs, so extra force can be transmitted to the mount. I think I'll order 2013s, if they aren't it I can probably just reuse the 2010s I have now.

As far as bushings, should I bite the bullet and get them replaced at the same time? Front only or both front and rear? Any opinions on OEM vs. aftermarket on handling, longevity? If aftermarket, then which, Whiteline?

Sounds like if I go with OEM better just get the full LCA assemblies, do they come with ball joints?

Edited by Val Demar

^You can get Mevotech arm assemblies, they come with all the bushings and ball joint.

The rear pancake bushings on those are solid rubber unlike the OE ones.

They seem to get good reviews too, if they were available here I'd try them.

Rock Auto carries them.

My car is being worked on and the mechanic tells me the KYB rear shock bumper which is a part of the dust cover kit SB113 is too big to fit the OEM mount. I'm wondering what the deal is, perhaps they are designed to work with the aftermarket mount that KYB also makes. Edited by Val Demar

My car is being worked on and the mechanic tells me the KYB rear shock bumper which is a part of the dust cover kit SB113 is too big to fit the OEM mount. I'm wondering what the deal is, perhaps they are designed to work with the aftermarket mount that KYB also makes.

I hated the KYB dust covers. They seem to be universal kits that sort of work. I do NOT recommend them at all. Buy the the oem parts.

Well, too late now as the car is back from the shop. They did manage to fit them in after all with some effort. I am kicking myself for cheaping out on the boots/bumpers but who knew. The rear KYB shock dust covers were actually kind of nice German made, except for the bumper fit :( The good news is ride is much improved overall, hard to tell if this is because of the 2013 spec parts or the old ones were shot, probably both. The most surprising improvements are the sensitivity to small steering inputs and more immediate brake feel. I did replace the front LCAs so likely the new bushings help. I just wish I had done this sooner. Thanks everyone for their input, this forum is a great resource. Cheers.