LegacyGT.com

Modified Tan/Black Interior

Blue Fox

I tried to swap in some 2014 WRX seats into my car. They bolt up, but since it's a 2005, it's going to be a huge PITA to get the airbags to work, so that'll be on the back burner. I've also tried to source an entire black leather interior and all black trim pieces to no avail. So I decided to embrace the tan and modify it to my liking.

I found some various bits of black interior trim pieces at SubieRecycler in Denver, as well as black carpet, and came up with a plan to modify my interior.

- Replaced lower plastics to black.

- Replaced stained tan carpet with black.

- Wrapped center console in black brushed aluminum textured vinyl.

- Wrapped wood grain center console trim in dark gray.

- Replaced center cup-holder console with black.

- Wrapped center cup-holder console's top with black brushed aluminum vinyl.

- Disassembled tan door cards and replaced lowers with black from donor cards.

The disassembly of the door cards was the most tricky. Requires you to drill out melted plastic rivets, and then line it all back up, and either epoxy or glue it all back together. I used the highest-strength hot glue I could find and it worked perfectly. Still need to wrap the remaining wood grain bits on the doors with vinyl, but overall I'm extremely happy with how the car has transformed from a boring, gross tan interior to something much more interesting to look at and sit in. I'll take some better pictures when I have a chance.

Still looking for some black plastics for around the seat bases, as well as some other odd trim bits in black (like the fuel filler door handle), as well as a new drivers seat in better condition. But for now, I'm much happier with it.

1.thumb.jpg.fda90bb385bb8af23691a6e06c70e6ff.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.99c205c92f4c6a8d141b215800cccf8f.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.a78b22bec42e2f4203b9c577275c0c6f.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.2d4e4a7b582b1ba18a9ced8bb1c6af2c.jpg

5.thumb.jpg.2bd9ecf1584a60a4156433830dfda7f8.jpg

Edited by Blue Fox

Looks good, I gotta know where you found the black carpet though!

SubieRecycler in Denver. Its out of an LGT Sedan, but fits perfect. They only part out Subies and have a warehouse full of parts, and their prices are great. I’ve bought everything from engines to small switches from them.

SubieRecycler in Denver. Its out of an LGT Sedan, but fits perfect. They only part out Subies and have a warehouse full of parts, and their prices are great. I’ve bought everything from engines to small switches from them.

Dang... their search seems terrible! Maybe I am just using it wrong. I'd kill for some black carpet though.

• 6 months later...

I honestly love tan seats. What I don't like is an entire tan interior like Subaru does. Seats, door cards done

On that note, supposed light colored seats are cooler in the summer. Can anyone confirm or is it not really different?

I honestly love tan seats. What I don't like is an entire tan interior like Subaru does. Seats, door cards done

On that note, supposed light colored seats are cooler in the summer. Can anyone confirm or is it not really different?

Eh, not really. There may be a slight temp difference when in direct sunlight of a few degrees, but that’s a drop in the bucket if they’re already over 110 degrees. My Outback has the tan leather, my Forester has black leather. In the summer both are just “hot as hell”.

• 1 year later...