LegacyGT.com

Got screwed by Mike at Infamous Performance and Tuning

I purchased a set of front/rear KYB strut mounts at infamousperformance.net as i did a full swap of my suspension on my 2006 Legacy GT. Turns out, the front strut mounts that were sent were not compatible with my car. I notified Mike and told him the mounts were not working. MIke told me that I would need to return the parts, and upon inspection to see if it was in "new condition" a determination would be made if the refund would go through. Not only that, but he would charge a 15% restocking fee for the return.

I called BS. Why would the customer be charged a restocking fee for a product that was improperly advertised on the website? If you go to their site, it has a "select a vehicle" option; it provides a list of compatible parts to your selected vehicle. This is pretty standard for most car sites who offer aftermarket parts. Turns out, Infamous didnt do their homework and listed incorrect parts for my car.

Mike finally conceded and said because it was listed incorrectly, there would not be a 15% restocking fee. But he deflected the issue to KYB, saying it was the manufacturer's fault.

I sent the two front strut mounts back to their return location, and the total cost to ship the falsely advertised product cost $25.04. I emailed Mike to notify him that I thought it was messed up that I had to cover the cost of their clear mistake and asked for options to get reimbursed. MIke gave me a link to their company policy stating "If the product is damaged, defective, or missing pieces we will cover the return shipping." Mike again claimed "we are not responsible for typographical errors (especially ones provided by the manufacturer) and return shipping is the responsibility of the buyer." That burden was placed on the customer. He also compared this faulty policy to making returns to a local store: much like a local store would not reimburse a customer gas money to make a return, his company would not reimburse return shipping costs. WTF?

Here's the underying problem: Their website is garbage and lists wrong parts, and their customer service is several notches worse. They treat customers as if we are deliberately trying to screw with their business. I just want a fair refund on an incorrectly listed part! Is that too much to ask?

Mike is currently running a full 4th of July ad on Legacygt.com, NASIOC, iwsti, and all of the Subaru forums to sell aftermarket parts. BUYER BEWARE, do not trust this guy or the content of the website. If you order a part from their site, and it is incorrectly listed, then prepare to spend money to return it because Mike takes no accountability for his mistakes.

KYB Front Strut Mounts: $104.98

Return shipping for incorrect KYB Strut Mounts: $25.04

Why would anyone want to ever purchase from this guy again? 25% of my money was expended on this purchase because Mike doesn't know how to adequately provide customer service.

BTW, one month later, the wrong part (KYB Strut Mounts (SM5361) is STILL listed on their website.

1865416388_KYB.thumb.jpg.c59af3ef66d69c741475fc80777f8d1e.jpg

Invoice.jpg.58f5b7dd236c01f9913fd96e5f95dd7f.jpg

We have been around for over 6 years (and we started on this forum). We have (what I believe to be) a very good reputation in the Subaru community. You can never make 100% of customers happy 100% of the time and that is what we have here. If questions had been asked prior to the order being placed all could have been avoided.

As with any "story" there are two sides and more to it.

Yes the item is still incorrectly listed. Just as it is on many, many sites that use the exact same product catalog feed that I do (provided by a third party). We can not alter or modify the feed, we can make request's for update/change and it is up to the manufactures from there to update the info provided for the feed.

Here is an example of a much larger online vendor having the exact same item misidentified for fitment. It shows the product fits a all 2000-2012 Legacys. They are using the exact same product catalog feed I am:

https://thmotorsports.com/kyb/kyb-strut-mounts/sm5361/i-524045.aspx

There return policy is about the same too. They do not cover return shipping.

https://thmotorsports.com/faq#return

Have bought:

Htech Springs, Hotchkis rear sway bar, front kart boy endlinks, AVO reinforcement brackets, Mishimoto radiator over the last 4 years. Never had an issue with mike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Mega Users

So... Item is listed incorrectly. You complained and returned the item. He said he would charge restocking fee. You complained and he decided not to charge you a restocking fee. Then you come on here and bash him.

Out of curiosity, did you start out being as rude as you seem here? If so, there's your problem. If not, then you should have been reimbursed for shipping. Just my opinion.

duh_gt you are the first person I've ever heard of who's had a problem with Mike at Infamous Performance. Personally Ive had over a dozen very positive experiences buying from mike. It was an honest mistake, the error on the website is beyond his control, he agreed not to charge you a restocking fee.

seabass07 said what we were all thinking...

I've been on the forum for many years, and the last thing I would do is jump to bash anyone, or be rude to a vendor. I tried to handle this at the lowest level, and the reason it was posted on here was because there were no solutions being offered and I felt people should know what to expect when dealing with a questionable purchase policy.

Email traffic added for your own interpretation.

dsh_gt : Hello,

The front strut mounts did not work for me on this project. What is the process for getting a refund on the two front strut mounts? Thanks

m sprank: I have attached the requested RMA to this email, please include it with your return. The return shipping info is on the RMA form. Once the parts are returned in new condition a refund will be issued, minus a 15% restocking fee.

**Please note we can only accept the return if the part is in NEW condition**

dsh_gt: There's a restocking for an item that doesn't fit even though you guys advertised on your site that it would? That doesn't make any sense. Can you explain this?

m sprank: I have verified with KYB that the part does not fit your car. Apparently there was some misinformation provided in the feed we receive for the website. We are working to have the responsible parties correct this error now. (Jun 15 2016)

As such, we will accept the return and refund 100% of your purchase price as long as the items returned are in original packaging in "new" re-sell able condition.

My apologies for any inconvenience.

dsh_gt: Mike,

Item was sent back for processing. I did have one concern, which is that the shipping charge to send the product back was 25.03. Considering the wrong part was advertised, what options can we work out for me not having to pay a large amount that was not my fault to begin with? Let me know

m sprank:

Return shipping is the responsibility of the purchaser. We already waived the restock fee based on the misinformation provided by KYB. Just like going to a local store, if you purchase an item and it is incorrectly boxed or incorrectly advertised the store does not cover any expenses for you to return the item.

Once the return is received and verified a refund will be processed for the original purchase price.

dsh_gt: Going to a local store would never entail a 25 shipping cost, Mike. Not sure you can make that comparison.

I have never experienced an instance where a company would place the burden on the customer to return a product the company messed up on, local or not. In fact, I just had to return a roof rack rail from frontrunneroutfitters, and they provided a free return label. That's how it's supposed to work. Can you explain how this adds up?

Again, your website listed the product incorrectly, and the company sent the wrong product based on that incorrect listing. Where does the "customer is responsible for shipping" apply in this situation? I appreciate you refunding the item without a restocking fee, but isn't that what you're supposed to do?

m sprank: Unfortunately, it is exactly the same situation as a local store. No local store will pay you for your time or gas to return a product. If the product is damaged, defective, or missing pieces we will cover the return shipping. But we are not responsible for typographical errors (especially ones provided by the manufacturer) and return shipping is the responsibility of the buyer. We paid to ship the item(s) to you even though KYB listed them incorrectly and no one is going to refund us the shipping to you. Same situation.

dsh_gt: Sorry, but youre absolutely stretching if you continue to say this situation is the same as a local store. First, a local store allows a customer to inspect and tangibly hold the product they are interested in purchasing. Your online store doesnt give that option. I'm relying on the advertisement on a webpage, and the trust of the vendor to do their job. For me to ask a local store to pay me for gas is absolutely asinine-- A customer who inspects the product in store does not get that luxury to ask for gas money. A customer who ordered the part and received the wrong product at the mistake of the VENDOR SHOULD NOT BE PUNISHED FOR THE VENDOR'S MISTAKE.

Mike, you should not blame KYB for this issue. You are falsely advertising the product on your website! You are not doing your job as a vendor by not vetting the right product for the vehicle.

This is wrong on so many levels, and the fact you continue to deflect any responsibility is telling of your customer service.

To reiterate:

1. You have the incorrect part listed on your site

2. You won't take responsibility for the error and instead, deflect blame to KYB.

3. You're comparing return shipping costs as equivalent to gasoline.

4. You offer free shipping for a large order but no return shipping for a vendor error.

5. You're asking me to sympathize for free shipping to the customer that your business won't get back. That won't happen. You're company offered free shipping as a perk to forum members. This is a tactic you used to earn business, a tactic that is now burdening the buyer.

If you can't understand these basic frustrations and fail to resolve them, please stop advertising your company on the Subaru forums. I am respectfully asking you to refund the return shipping costs due to vendor error. If you don't agree, let me talk to a supervisor.

dsh_gt: "If the product is damaged, defective, or missing pieces we will cover the return shipping."

This part was defective. It did not fit the vehicle. It did not work as advertised

m sprank: Obviously we agree to disagree. The entire website catalog is a feed provided by a third party who collects the info direct form the manufacturers. I have no control over the images/descriptions/fitment. If KYB updates their supplied info the website will automatically update. Your request for a return shipping refund is denied. Once your return is received/inspected/verified a refund for the purchase price will be processed.

There is no "supervisor" to speak with. I am the owner.

Have a great holiday weekend.

Did I come off as rude? Maybe i did, and I apologize if that was the case but i was frustrated that the part didn't work out and at the back/forth with Mike. I tried to remain professional but there was no getting through to the hardline policy and in my opinion, a stretch explanation.

i guess this is the difference between keeping a customer for life and loosing one forever over 25 dollars. now, for the record, i have never purchased anything from infamous but i did receive a fair pricing quote once. mike was very courteous and answered several questions i had.

I empathize with the OP and I get your frustration. Posting here may not get you very far though. In fact, I'm fairly certain you just paid $25 to rant. Think about it this way: you got free shipping for this original order anyway. Wonder who paid for that shipping? It's Mike's way of saying thanks.

Mike is a great guy who contributes quite a bit to the forum. For every complaint, I think you'll find 9 or 10 members who've had an excellent experience in dealing with him time and time again; I'm one of them. I'm surprised the guys at Tuning Alliance aren't all over this. They love business opportunities and have little regard for basic ethics. I think you'll find that despite your unfortunate circumstances and my genuine empathy for your frustration, Mike is most definitely one of the better guys out there. I would suggest calling him next time. Not only is he seriously mechanically inclined, but he can help you navigate that sometimes confusing or, in this case, misleading user interface. Heck, I live 3000 miles away and he still knows my first name every time I call :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Updated parts list since original part-out here.

Original Full part-out of my LGT HERE!

• I Donated
OP I think you're being a whiny little bitch. Mike has a lot of customers on this forum (me included) that have had nothing but good interactions with him. You did become rather dick-ish as your emails went on and on.

I've worked in retail operations and logistics for nearly a decade and what Mike did here is a very standard practice. He is merely a reseller, he is not an employee or representative of KYB. As a reseller he can only be responsible for the information the company provides him and KYB will not reimburse him for those types of losses.

The only way to get the type of service you're looking for is to purchase directly from the seller, in this case KYB, which is possible. You instead chose to purchase it from Mike and in doing so you need to abide with his selling policies which are clearly listed on his site, as "bad" as it is. Regardless of where he is posting (forums) and how long he has been in business (years) and how many happy clients (too many) or sad clients (you), the same rules apply.

So there it is

Ehhh. He should reimburse for shipping IMO. Probably won't happen though.

100%

It's the business' responsibility to have correct info up on their page. If not, remove the item or dump the company listing it. Hope nobody else clicks buy on that one :(

A stand-up vendor would refund the guy's shipping.

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

100%

It's the business' responsibility to have correct info up on their page. If not, remove the item or dump the company listing it. Hope nobody else clicks buy on that one :(

A stand-up vendor would refund the guy's shipping.

True, but the way the OP went all the way to post this up on the forums over a $10 +/- return shipping is pretty crappy to me. In my book, this is only going to ruin the OP's reputation.

My wife's balls are delicious.

I do have to agree with the above, I've purchased stuff from Subispeed who is a similar vendor to Mike and they offered free shipping, they sent me the wrong product and I wrote them an email about it and I got a return label from them free of charge. I don't think ranting about it on a forum is how you will get your way, but I have to agree, return shipping should be on the vendor if you were sold the wrong part.

• I Donated
I do have to agree with the above, I've purchased stuff from Subispeed who is a similar vendor to Mike and they offered free shipping, they sent me the wrong product and I wrote them an email about it and I got a return label from them free of charge. I don't think ranting about it on a forum is how you will get your way, but I have to agree, return shipping should be on the vendor if you were sold the wrong part.

The question now becomes, who is responsible? Not the buyer. Not Mike, he said he uses a third party feed. Who ponys up for this? I doubt whoever makes that feed would even answer an email from Mike.

Also, Mike has (numerous times I'll add) posted on this forum about potentially closing his doors due to a variety of reasons, and I for one appreciate his knowledge and am happy to throw him my business whenever I can. I helped organize a group buy of Epic Engineering springs through him a few years ago, and he was great to work with there.

OP I can taste your salt from over here, it sucks to have something get messed up because it's not your fault. Mike is in a similar situation, this compatibility thing is not his fault either. Go have a beer and calm your tits, you'll make more money. Are you seriously that upset about 25 bucks?

I can understand OPs frustration, I feel like the issue isn't just the amount more of the whole process. Both sides of the story is understandable, Mike shouldn't have to eat the cost of shipping when the 3rd party feed had the wrong info and OP shouldn't have to pay to return something that was listed as correct for his vehicle.

I think OP frustration also stems from the fact he took time out or had to pay someone to get the part installed only to have it not fit plus also come out of pocket to send it back. In all he is losing time + money on an error due to 3rd part/manufacturer information. Like RZA and others have said, most vendors send you a free shipping label to return a product, if Mike can't supply that, can he offer something else to offset the cost to the customer?

It is an unfortunate situation for both party, Mike should also add a disclaimer to the product page that fitment for said product is incorrect once he got a complaint about said product.

I had a mishi rad and shroud sent from mike

I got the sti rad by accident

I just modified it to work

Never had any other issues with sprankles

Been buying parts from him here and there for years

No ones perfect , he tries

Does alot for our community

I kinda agree about the whiny"

Suck it up bro shit happens

Ive had to eat much bigger losses

Thats life sometimes

Teaches us to be more diligent before purchases

I can not change the feed. I can not modify the page. The website is built on a platform, it is not custom. If the manufacturers do not update the feed, the incorrect info stays. Thats the way the system works.

The customer did not let me know the part was incorrect originally. That is why he was informed of a restock fee. When he let me know the part was incorrect for his car I immediately contacted KYB. As soon as they responded I notified the customer and waived the restock fee.

This is also the first time I have ever sold a set of KYB top hats. We do not use them at my shop. Ask first and you would be told to buy OEM from a dealership and not buy them from me. I am fairly familiar with the 4th gen LGT having owned 4 of them.

The customer did not bring up anything about return shipping charges until 15 days after the RMA was issued and the item(s) had already been shipped. There was no request for a return shipping label.

The sites policies are clearly stated on the policy page. I made rules, and I stand by them. Without rules we have anarchy. If exceptions to rules are made there is no equality. No one is entitled. That being said I have a great deal of empathy and I attempt to work with any and all customers if an issue arises to come to a mutually agreeable conclusion.

http://www.infamousperformance.net/store-policy

As I previously said, I can not make 100% of the customers happy 100% of the time no matter how hard I try. Also, there are always 2 sides to every story and usually more info than what is presented.

A sincere Thank You for your patronage to all of my customers, even those whose expectations I could not reach.

Mike, agree with you 100%, you did what most good vendors would do. You have done right to the members of this forum (including myself) and there is always that small percentage that feels like they got screwed somehow. When order through the internet the buyer should do their research before ordering, to prevent these issues. I myself learn the hard way too, but now I research every part before ordering.

rapture said it best.

My wife's balls are delicious.

Mike and Infamous Performance is wrong. The OP was following a website that was sponsored and supported by Infamous. Why should the OP get the short end of the stick? Mike should do the right thing for the customer and refund the shipping.

^^Nice, only post from this guy is to smash on a vendor who is trying to make a living.

The customer is always right! Even when they dont check to see what they are buying is correct and dont read the store policy. If you take everything for face value you're going to pay for it eventually.

1 post in 6 years - and is not even an Infamous Performance and Tuning customer. Thank you for your contribution. :spin:
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Archived