LegacyGT.com

Replacement for ACT Clutch & Flywheel?

bochinam

The good news, after 20K the ACT clutch w/ Streetlite flywheel has finally stopped chattering on launch. The bad news, now the clutch has started to slip. Actually, that's good news too. I hate this POS clutch / flywheel combo and can't wait to be rid of it. It's been a vague knife edge between choppy and slipping, then smoking and stinking...a complete let down from the start. Please help, I'm looking for life after ACT for my stage II+ LGT wagon.

First, it's not all hate. Things I don't mind about my current ACT setup:

1) The increase in pedal pressure. Stock is too soft IMHO.

2) Other than off the line, I really enjoy the light flywheel.

3) Yellow color matches the dipstick and the ACT in my Miata (which has no issues.)

Questions for the experts:

1) Other posts seem to indicate that all light flywheels are going to chatter to some degree on street driven LGTs?

2) If true, can something like this "TSK3" giblet realistically do anything to mute it?

3) Can I run a different brand clutch with the ACT Streetlight flywheel?

4) Do over. Money no object. What brand, what "stage", what flywheel would you put in a street driven LGT with no plans to go beyond 350 ftlbs of twist at the wheels.

Vendors, PM me, sell me. I'm going to buy something.

Thanks for your help,

J

EDIT: Sorry, just saw the other similar clutch thread. The only real difference for me is an existing ACT Streetlite flywheel. Do I have to pitch it to go with another brand or OEM?

• 4 weeks later...

Update...

Both the ACT clutch and flywheel were destroyed. The disk was worn down to the bolts and the streetlight FW was burned well beyond repair. Judging by how much of a bear it was wrestle the tranny past the turbo I'm thinking the shop that installed it didn't align something right? They had also messed with the rod length significantly for some reason. By the looks of destruction, this clutch had to have been partially engaged with the pedal completely released. Bottom line, I'm having a hard time blaming ACT for all the chatter and smells. This was an install fail.

Side note, the tranny snout was absolutely perfect. No need for a TSK3.

Life after ACT now consists of an [ame=http://www.amazon.com/EXEDY-15804-Racing-Clutch-Kit/dp/B001B5IGVS/ref=pd_bxgy_auto_img_y]Exedy "racing" clutch[/ame] and [ame=http://www.amazon.com/EXEDY-FF502-Chromoly-Racing-Flywheel/dp/B001B5K8QO/ref=pd_sim_auto_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0G0F3C46QB9PN88KJY8C]Exedy lightweight flywheel[/ame]. Pedal pressure to operate the new clutch is slightly less than the ACT. The engagement point is in the middle of the throw and the feel of the PP spring is spot on. Very easy to drive. There is also absolutely no chatter which is how it should be. 3K on the new clutch so far and all is very well.

FWIW, the last time I pulled my tranny, I lossened the turbo on the up pipe, I bolt mine on, and slide it to the side. Tranny went out.in very easy.

It was even easy to line up the IPR tmic with the turbo loose.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived