LegacyGT.com

KILLER deal on Lower control arms

Check reviews on that brand.. If it is too good to be true...

Mevotech are decent, just looks like ultra power took the part number, they are not manufactured the same...

I seriously doubt the market is big enough for these to justify two companies making clone castings. Both Mevotech and "ULTRA-POWER" probably buy the "arm" from the same place and just stick a diffrent ball joint in it. That or "Ultra-power" being Rock Auto's house brand maybe they just contract with Mevotech to make a lower spec version.

I just found a review stating the Whiteline rollcenter correcting balljoint dosen't fit these, that was something I was wanting to put in... Anyone know what the compatibility issue is?

Edited by utc_pyro

I just found a review stating the Whiteline rollcenter correcting balljoint dosen't fit these, that was something I was wanting to put in... Anyone know what the compatibility issue is?

I hadn't heard that. I've got a set of these at home and was planning the same thing. Maybe there's a collar that needs to be inserted for it to work?

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

I hadn't heard that. I've got a set of these at home and was planning the same thing. Maybe there's a collar that needs to be inserted for it to work?

That came from a review on carid, but as wesleyCrowbar said they fit maybe that person just didn't know what they were doing

I have the roll center kit installed on the mevotech arms. No problems at all

How did you remove the tapered shim/insert from the ball joints? I gave it a few love taps in the vice and it seemed pretty cozy. I assumed it's pressed on but I haven't checked for threads.

• 2 weeks later...
Just FIY, the "ULTRA-POWER" ones have dropped in price to $38.89 each. I installed SpecB arms a while back and the bushings are starting to get warn out again. This price is probably less than just the labor to push out and replace the old bushings
Where are you finding these?

Nvm...i found them on rockauto

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Edited by drunkinmonk

• 3 weeks later...
Even at $110 a pop I think these are worth it if you either a.) don't have a press and have to pay for labor, or b.) have bad/rusted arms, c.) Need ball joints, front and rear bushings.

Mevotech uses what looks to be firmer bushings in the rear, they are definitely don't have the same voids in them. Looks like you can buy their bushings separately (I wonder how they compare to group n).

Here is the cost breakdown of all the parts without the control arms themselves:

Front Bushing: $15.78 - MEVOTECH MS80428 Supreme

Rear Bushing: $15.80 - MEVOTECH MS80427 Supreme

Ball Joint: $14.00 - MEVOTECH MK9513 Supreme With X Factor Technology

So just in parts you are at $46 per arm without shipping.

Add in labor of pushing the bushings out and your probably going to be closer to $100 per arm to just refresh your current stock arms.

With that said, I JUST found another alternative, this one is $54 per arm! Rock auto only shows it as being compatible with Non turbo cars, which is weird. They have the same exact part number as Mevotech, just different brand and different ball joints at least, everything else looks identical (even bushings)

ULTRA-POWER CMS80182

ULTRA-POWER CMS80181

Rock Auto even names them "802_ULTRAPOWER MEVOTECH_CMS80182_1__ra_p.jpg". So I think these might be Mevotech's with their non Supreme bushings!

http://www.rockauto.com/info/802/802_ULTRAPOWER%20MEVOTECH_CMS80182_1__ra_p.jpg

http://www.rockauto.com/info/802/802_ULTRAPOWER%20MEVOTECH_CMS80182_3__ra_p.jpg

Got mine installed! Everything seems fine with them. Simple to install. Everything seemed to fit right. Now getting my old ones off....holy crap, I was about to just get rid of the whole car...Looked to be the originals. Car has 202,000 miles on it. Freeing those balljoints was a PITA!!!

Got mine installed! Everything seems fine with them. Simple to install. Everything seemed to fit right. Now getting my old ones off....holy crap, I was about to just get rid of the whole car...Looked to be the originals. Car has 202,000 miles on it. Freeing those balljoints was a PITA!!!

You are in the south so you haven't seen the road salt mine has seen. I'm at the point of maybe just having a shop do it since it looks horrible under there.

I really wish I hadn't hesitated on those Ultra Power arms. I bought the Mevotechs since I couldn't find the cheaper Ultra Powers.

I wish I didn't hesitate when this thread happened. I ordered a set and had them get cancelled after they figured out the price issue. Since I already had my mind fixed on them I ended yup getting them anyways for less at Rock Auto.

Edited by Merc6

Will the Mevotech work with a roll adjustment kit with the ball joints?

Just installed these yesterday. In order to use the roll center kit you need to remove the conical adapter (Subaru P# 20216FA000). You need a pitman arm puller or a press to pop them off. I highly recommend you just spend the $15 and get the arm puller. It's the only good way to remove the LCA without ruining the ball joint. Well worth it btw

I installed the Mevotech control arms over the weekend. Install went well (on the arms...) and steering feel is much improved. Also, the weird knocking noise from the front of the car I had while going over bumps is nearly completely gone. I guess it was a loose endlink?

I couldn't tell any difference in quality between the Mevotech control arms and the stock Spec B control arms. They're both cast aluminum, but the Mevotech control arms have beefier bushings without the voids that the stock one has.

Install note: get the Company23 ball joint removal tool. At $80, it cost nearly as much as a Mevotech control arm, but it makes removing the ball joints from the knuckle a simple job.

I installed the Mevotech control arms over the weekend. Install went well (on the arms...) and steering feel is much improved. Also, the weird knocking noise from the front of the car I had while going over bumps is nearly completely gone. I guess it was a loose endlink?

I couldn't tell any difference in quality between the Mevotech control arms and the stock Spec B control arms. They're both cast aluminum, but the Mevotech control arms have beefier bushings without the voids that the stock one has.

Install note: get the Company23 ball joint removal tool. At $80, it cost nearly as much as a Mevotech control arm, but it makes removing the ball joints from the knuckle a simple job.

Seems to be the theme with this car. Buy tools the 1st time or buy the part again with the right tools this next go around.

I installed these recently without the tool. Ball joints are always a b---- imo. The tool might save you a lot of cursing and frustration for sure. With that said they both came off with a BFH. One was particularly difficult. I had to take the knuckle and control arm off together and ran it over to a buddys house so I could securely hold it while he pounded on it said BFH. It gave us a struggle for a couple minutes but we won.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I installed these recently without the tool. Ball joints are always a b---- imo. The tool might save you a lot of cursing and frustration for sure. With that said they both came off with a BFH. One was particularly difficult. I had to take the knuckle and control arm off together and ran it over to a buddys house so I could securely hold it while he pounded on it said BFH. It gave us a struggle for a couple minutes but we won.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I bought a ball joint tool at the suggestion of a friend. To do both LCAs took about an hour and a half.

• 4 weeks later...

I just bought these arms for my wagon. $179 shipped for L&R front aluminum LCAs.

Only listed for 07-09 legacy's, not an option for 05-06.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/mas,CB72083,control+arm,10401

Edited by BoozeRS05

Just installed these yesterday. In order to use the roll center kit you need to remove the conical adapter (Subaru P# 20216FA000). You need a pitman arm puller or a press to pop them off. I highly recommend you just spend the $15 and get the arm puller. It's the only good way to remove the LCA without ruining the ball joint. Well worth it btw

I saw this post when you posted it but I'm still confused about this conical adapter.. is this something I need to put on the ball joint or no?