LegacyGT.com

Numurous questions for my OBXT

Hello all I am in the middle of doing some maitencen on my 09 OBXT. (Water Pump, timing belt, spark plugs, turbo banjo delete, TGV deletes etc) and I have stumbled across a few things that I need some feedback on.

1st: There is an awful lot of oil on the throttle body.... not sure if that is from blow by? the PCV clicks when I shake it so I should be good. I will upload a pic once I can figure out how to, but it is on the bottom side of the throttle body.

2nd: I scored a used set of Whiteline rear arms. the kta124 kit. Sadly the bushings will need to be replaced. Am I better served by getting the Whiteline refresh kit for it? or is there another brand that sells better bushings for the kit?

3rd:Is there any resources about depinning the subaru plugs if they are cracked? I tried one on a spare harness that was not cracked and I broke the little finger that holds the wire into the plug. I know with the VW/Audi plugs you use a special depinning tool. I tried that too and had no luck.

4th: With all the work being done I will need to get a tune afterwards. Looking at opensource at the moment as my brother has had good luck with that on his 06. My car has si-Drive though..... So I am wondering if I get a tune if the tune overwrites the si-Drive or if there is more involved than I can comprehend.

1, I guess you have blow by.

2 I'm guessing the Whiteline refresh kit is easier.

4, I would talk with the Tuner before you do the TGV delete, you'll need codes deleted before you start the car. If I recall correctly.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

So with blow by is the best option a catch can or a Air/oil separator? I saw that someone has a AOS that mounts to the filler neck... is that a good option or is there better things to do?

I will reach out to the tuner asap. The car is still not back together due to waiting on some parts. For some reason I still have not received my silicone turbo inlet.

So with blow by is the best option a catch can or a Air/oil separator? I saw that someone has a AOS that mounts to the filler neck... is that a good option or is there better things to do?

I will reach out to the tuner asap. The car is still not back together due to waiting on some parts. For some reason I still have not received my silicone turbo inlet.

I have heard mixed messages about the GS AOS if you are autocrossing or tracking your car, apparently one of the lines can fill with oil while cornering and starve the bearings.

If you are in a cold area you need to be careful about running a catch can setup as they can freeze up. There are versions that run coolant lines to keep them warm but I’ve heard they can and do still freeze up at really cold temperatures.

I had a pcv valve freeze up once and it blew my cam seals out from the pressure, even staying out of boost. You can avoid this with a stock car by being sensible in cold weather and perhaps blocking part of the intercooler above the pcv but when you start messing with the system you need to be even more careful and critical of the placement of lines and valves.

If you have excessive blow by from worn piston rings, you will need a new motor. There is no point in modifying the motor or getting it tuned. You need to fix that 1st.

Kind of have to agree with that ^

Get a OEM ej257, engine gasket set for your year car, have your heads rebuilt.

See the click here link in my sig for how to do it right.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

4cg93Q3Sadly with the engine as far apart as it is I cannot do a compression test or a leak down test. Without those there is not really a way to tell. I kind of need to get the car back together at this point.

Is there any other indicators I can look at? Judging by my limited understanding on the EJ motors I would say not really....

going off some other pictures I have seen in these forums the blow by might just be a normal amount, just seemed strange I suppose.

I will add the photos when I get home. They are on my phone and I cannot get them to upload.

Edited by boneskid1

Quick question about the water pump, is it a three port or a two port water pump ?

There is a guy on the outback forum with a 09 XT and he has a two port water pump.

https://www.subaruoutback.org/threads/2009-outback-xt-please-help-with-correct-water-pump-for-timing-belt-change.524510/#post-6014839

Weird!!!!! Mine is a 3 port. 2 ports towards the driver side and 1 to the passenger side/underneath. Assuming you are looking at the waterpump dead on from the front of the car.

I looked at that post... very strange. Its like his car just omitted the hose that runs from the oil cooler to the waterpump?

Also I cannot upload the pics because of a security token issue.... has anyone seen that before?

Edited by boneskid1