LegacyGT.com

Bp9 S402 in the states

I figured it would be fun to get an LGT wagon from over seas and came across an s402 for a good price. Anybody know what I'd have to change to make it legal to register? I know it sounds kinda dumb, I don't need any "just sti swap" bs. I know I could do that. Thanks in advance. cc6c8cb2407a282fe27a1e5cad265f03.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

That's optimistic I think.

You could try, I would love for you to succeed, and I'm sure others would as well.

However, there are a number of differences that I think would stop you, like the bumpers.

There is a different safety spec in Japan than the US for bumpers related to collisions. You would likely have to replace the bumpers with US spec bumpers that have the accommodation for that 3-4" of foam for low speed collisions. And I suspect that's just the beginning.

Honestly, I believe they aren't that different; however, to be certified road worthy here will most likely require testing of which the gov isn't going to pay for and I highly doubt you could. If they did this, there are dozens of other models that people would want to do the same for and the gov simply wouldn't see the time or money in it.

Say you have a Legacy GT wagon that is currently registered and insured and is the same color.

And you bought this just put those plates on it and drive it.

You'd be fine until you got in an accident...I doubt a cop would be able to tell the difference if they stopped you for speeding.

But you didn't hear that from me !

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

My thought is that I could try to get Subaru to consider it substantially similar to usdm which would negate the need for testing besides emissions.

Substantially similar requires the vehicle to be substantially similar, and that includes emissions and which side of the vehicle you drive on. This will not work for an S402.

The car can’t even be brought over as a track toy. It would have to be cut in half before any shipper even touches it. This ain’t some high dollar grey market import. There’s a reason you don’t see a bunch of under 25 fun Euro and JDM stuff running around...

getting it in the country is going to be hard. unless you ship to canada and trailer it across the border. the rhd is going to be hard to explain, regardless.

stripping the car then chop it into 3rds. You can palletize the 3rds and ship them in. "The Korean" shipped in a dashboard to front bumper jdm car, and then upgraded a usdm wagon.

My thought is that I could try to get Subaru to consider it substantially similar to usdm which would negate the need for testing besides emissions.

Pretty sure lack of US spec headlights and 5 mph impact bumpers eliminates any claims of similarity.

• 2 weeks later...

From NHSTA:

While there is no specific restriction on importing a right-hand drive

vehicle, they may not be imported under eligibility decisions based on the existence of substantially similar U.S.-certified left-hand drive vehicles alone.

Our experience has shown that the safety performance of right hand drive vehicles is not necessarily the same as that of apparently similar left-hand drive vehicles offered for sale in this country. However, we will consider the vehicles "substantially similar" if the manufacturer advises us that the right-hand drive vehicle would perform the same as the U.S.-certified left-hand drive vehicle in dynamic crash tests.

It should be noted that the Subaru Forester 2006-2007 can be imported. Because Subaru certified it as substantially similar.

A rhd 2nd gen legacy wagon is legal.

It should be noted that the Subaru Forester 2006-2007 can be imported. Because Subaru certified it as substantially similar.

Both those USDM and JDM car that Subaru considers substantially similar were both manufactured in Gunma.

The USDM 4th Gen Legacy was manufactured in the Indiana, the JDM in Gunma. I don't know about the 4th Gen differences, but the 5th and 6th Gen have quite a bit difference that make some of the sheet metal and some parts non-interchange.

The key words are "substantially similar", region of manufacture doesn't exclude it. As for 5th and 6th if it is substantially similar in performance of safety it wouldn't matter if parts interchange or not.

There are two courses of action for the OP.

1. Get a letter from Subaru stating the JDM Legacy is substantially similar.

2. Go through a registered importer (RI) and they can conform the vehicle to safety regulations.

From NHSTA:

vehicle, they may not be imported under eligibility decisions based on the existence of substantially similar U.S.-certified left-hand drive vehicles alone.

These statements contradict themselves. You cannot import an 06-07 RHD JDM Forester. Don't you think we would see a bunch on the road if that were the case? Same with most cars that are offered in boring US trim but fun else ware.

They haven't tried because it can't be done. The law is in place for a reason no matter how silly. If they sell a version in the states and the car is younger then 25 i am 99.9999999999% certain you cannot bring it in the country unless it is show and display. As someone who owns 2 RHD JDM cars trust me. I would have my EVO4 sitting in storage in Japan already if this were the case.

These statements contradict themselves. You cannot import an 06-07 RHD JDM Forester. Don't you think we would see a bunch on the road if that were the case? Same with most cars that are offered in boring US trim but fun else ware.

I think they build off each other.

From NHSTA:

I'm reading this as, "just because there's a substantially similar version of the chassis in LHD doesn't automatically mean you can go get the RHD.

However:

The RHD version has the possibility to be certified/imported as substantially similar if the manufacturer goes through the steps to say they're similar.Sounds like he's saying Subaru went ahead and did it in this case.

As to whether or not that model is eligible or not, is it a highly desirable model? Genuinely asking. And is it not able to be recreated here?

I feel the Venn diagram between people who want a special subaru and people who can build said subaru is a single circle. Alternatively, as a continent, the Venn diagram of North Americans who want a Forester and North Americans that want a special edition Forester is two circles. Just not sure there's much if any significant demand to make it happen. Which is probably why we don't see a bunch on the road.

Kinda like why don't most Toyota Avalon owners just import some JDM market luxury Toyota. They're not really the demographic of people that importing a car is a solution to their needs/wants.

Mildly off-topic but kinda on - I feel most performance Subarus are all a little work away from performing similarly. Like how hard does someone have to try to make a WRX as fast as an STi? Or a type RA? Or really how long can you say a SpecB is better than a regular GT? It's just parts, not really a impassable gulf in the modding world. Other people can do their own thing, but pining for a higher performance Subaru when you have a lesser performance Subaru doesn't really make sense. Which I know sounds narrow minded and I'm ignoring huge swaths of the market, but.

I mean how is a s402 REALLY different than my wagon? Probably not faster or better suited for any task in any appreciable way. Interior trim and tweaked bodywork? Blue? Looks like it was rear ended then also hit the car in front, smushing the bumpers in?

My lawn - get. off. it. Also, what are those clouds doing up there? *yells at clouds*

by the time you go Subaru, all rational thought of what's normal has left the building. A "made" s402 is less desirable than an imported s402, because jdm, kms, rhd, and all the other quirky shite that makes japanese market car.

Having driven & wrecked nearly every rhd car I've rented, I fall to see the allure of rhd cars. That said, I was having stupid fun in the moments beforehand. If I could import one, swap everything over, sure.

Depending on how the election turns out, the cost to move to Ireland or New Zealand isn't exorbitant and rhd are the norm. Ireland's roads are like an endless autocross and New Zealand has enough variety to ensure you're on the police's 10 most wanted list forever (traffic cams suck)

Ireland's roads are like an endless autocross

I don't remember what they are called, but the single lane rockwall lined roads speed limit in Ireland is like a challenge. "just see if you can maintain the speed limit here!" The speed limit was the same or higher than their version of freeways. It was crazy.

I was not able too. Too afraid of an oncoming car or the crazy tight narrow turns. Also, whatever diesel thing I was driving and shifting with the wrong hand.